BBO Discussion Forums: We missed a good diamond fit, who's fault? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

We missed a good diamond fit, who's fault?

#21 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-October-25, 10:08

If I'm uncomfortable bidding 1NT with that spade holding over 1, my spade holding isn't good enough to let them play 2-of-a-fit. Sure, partner is minimum, because she passed 2 with the known singleton [note, this inference may not be available to you. My partner and I Balance In Direct Seat in this auction], but *I'm not*, and it's time to tell him.

I like 2NT if partner will recognize it as Not Natural (again, assuming my spade stopper isn't good enough for 1NT last round); otherwise 3 and hope. Partner isn't one of those crazies that will open 1=3=4=5 minimums 1, right :-)?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#22 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2021-October-26, 08:49

View PostDouglas43, on 2021-October-25, 09:15, said:

I agree with EricK. I would only open in fourth where my hcp plus number of spades equalled 15 or more, and would pass this one out. Think this is known as a Pearson count?

Just to add to that, in a robot tournament in fourth seat, none vul, l I just passed a 1-3-4-5 hand with 13 hcp. It's a bit of a top or bottom strategy because most people would bid. 94% on the board as there is a 5-5 spade fit.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users