Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rudeness Frequency?

#1 User is offline   msheald 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-October-14, 07:24

Hello! I am curious to hear what folks "Rudeness Frequency" is.

I occasionally play ACBL games and get partners through the partnership desk. (I used to play much more often in the early stages of the Pandemic!) Given the hundreds of possible partners, I've been impressed with the infrequent rudeness I encounter. I put them on my ignore list and move on.

Typically, what I term "rude" are recurrent unsolicited "helpful" comments and frank criticisms (usually wrong), sudden disappearances in the middle of a game, and agreeing to a partnership from the partnership desk only to disappear just before the game begins so that one cannot get another partner.

Having said that, I know I've given unsolicited advice in the heat of the moment, so I try to be as encouraging as possible no matter whom I'm playing with. A "Well done, partner!" goes a long way.

As Jeff Meckstroth said, "Cherish Your Partner. It can't be over-stated: You've got to keep your partner happy, especially during the session. Do not accuse, yell at, frown at, complain to, criticize, castigate, disparage, abuse, ridicule, sneer at, or mock your partner. Try to be comforting, supportive, compassionate, encouraging, reassuring, sympathetic and understanding. Don't argue with your partner in front of other people. And, especially, don't talk negatively about your partner or teammates behind their backs." Best regards,

Mike

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-October-15, 09:16

View Postmsheald, on 2021-October-14, 07:24, said:

Hello! I am curious to hear what folks "Rudeness Frequency" is.

In F2F bridge, probably very rare.

In online bridge, unfortunately too common. People are simple not as polite on the Internet as IRL.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users