BBO Discussion Forums: IPad Mini original incompatibility - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

IPad Mini original incompatibility App no longer compatible with iPad mini

#1 User is offline   gsturk 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-October-07, 02:00

My wife uses her iPad mini (original model) for nothing other than BBO. Earlier this week her login failed. I subsequently tried uninstalling the App and now it won’t install. Message says the version of ipad is not compatible.
I’ve tried accessing BBO via Safari on the same machine. It mostly gets stuck with the pop-up window about data privacy, but when occasionally I get past that it hangs once I click Play Bridge Now.
Will there be a fix for this to enable the original iPad mini to remain useful? Old machines such as this cannot upgrade to iOS 10 or beyond.

#2 User is offline   gsturk 

• Pip

Posted 2021-October-07, 02:06

I should have added that trying to access BBO via Google does not work either on this old iPad mini. Doesn’t even get to the site.

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-October-07, 08:53

The issue is the SSL library - the thing that checks the certificate trust chain to say "yes, people we believe, and people they believe, think this site is legitimate". It has a bug, and the result of that bug is that one of the certificates in the chain - which has expired. It has been replaced, but is still being believed over that replacement - "proves" to the iPad that this site can not be trusted (along with a wide swath of the internet - this is a really key certificate).

There is nothing BBO can do (besides, I guess, getting their entire certificate library re-issued from another certifier). If Apple won't help you fix their bug, you'll have to look for other answers. Here is something that worked for another BBO person. It is minimally technical (but that doesn't mean it's not very technical). I have also seen reports that Firefox > version 50 will work, if it can be installed, as it keeps and checks its own certificate store, and doesn't use the OS's SSL library.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   patcanuck 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-October-09, 01:14

I think using and updating FireFox rather than Safari might be your answer.

#5 User is offline   dottoro 

• Pip

Posted 2021-October-09, 12:16

I checked with BBO support when my iPad was not working and was told that the server has blocked all systems oldDottoroer than iOS 11, My system is 10.3.3 wiich cannot be updated and there fore will not work, BBO wants users to have recent systems and browsers to avoid errors.
Unfortunately we can no longer use old systems, Fortunately the Mac
desktop woks fine. There is no problem with the site.

#6 User is offline   Cathrynt 

• Pip

Posted 2021-October-15, 10:44

View Postgsturk, on 2021-October-07, 02:00, said:

My wife uses her iPad mini (original model) for nothing other than BBO. Earlier this week her login failed. I subsequently tried uninstalling the App and now it won’t install. Message says the version of ipad is not compatible.
I’ve tried accessing BBO via Safari on the same machine. It mostly gets stuck with the pop-up window about data privacy, but when occasionally I get past that it hangs once I click Play Bridge Now.
Will there be a fix for this to enable the original iPad mini to remain useful? Old machines such as this cannot upgrade to iOS 10 or beyond.

As you know, on 30 September 2021, an old SSL root certificate expired, preventing players from running the BBO App on older iPhones/iPads.

Note that this issue is not unique to BBO, it also affects other 260 million apps and websites that use Let’s Encrypt certificates.

To run the BBO App normally on an old Apple device, you’ll need to install a new Let’s Encrypt SSL root certificate. Luckily, it is quite easy to do so:

• Visit https://letsencrypt..../isrgrootx1.pem using Safari on your iOS 9 device, to automatically install the new certificate (note: Safari only!)
• When Safari downloads the certificate, it will recognize it as a configuration profile and open it in the Settings app
• From there you just push Install, enter your passcode, push Install again, and push Install a third time on the dialog that pops up.

BBO App should run normally after installing the certificate.

Note: If you deleted the BBO app, click on PURCHASED entry at the bottom menu (AppStore), and search for “BBO” there. AppStore will install a BBO app version compatible with iOS 9.
I got this from BBO support who have been very proactive in trying toi help me gain access on my IPAD .
I dod hte above and it did not work - still had same probelm -
However after installing the new root above . I then went to the Ap store - when I tried BBO for IPAD I could not access it but I also had the option to go to the Iphone AP . Under I phone Ap I was able to reload BBO on the IPAD and its working !! - this might help others . Goood luck

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users