Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding over a take-out double.

#1 User is offline   Dinarius 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-April-15, 06:33

Sequences such as this are extremely common....

1:1:Double

In the fourth seat, opposite the 1 over-call, how do you distinguish between the following bids.

2 (assuming you're playing Unassuming Cue Bids)
Redouble

I know it's a bit of a general question. I guess I'm wondering what's the order of strength, in the replies? It can also be dependent on the form of scoring and vulnerability.

Thanks.

D.

#2 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-April-15, 08:33

You should also consider 1, as for most, the double promises spades (in NA, 90% of the time exactly 4; other places, different) and, potentially, 2, if you want to keep 1 as "natural, despite the bad break".

It also would depend for many on how many clubs 1 promises (and assuming UCB means "strong raise" and not "strong hand" - I've never understood UCB. Many people would say that I play them, of course).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-April-15, 09:05

View PostDinarius, on 2021-April-15, 06:33, said:

Sequences such as this are extremely common....

1:1:Double

In the fourth seat, opposite the 1 over-call, how do you distinguish between the following bids.

2 (assuming you're playing Unassuming Cue Bids)
Redouble

I know it's a bit of a general question. I guess I'm wondering what's the order of strength, in the replies? It can also be dependent on the form of scoring and vulnerability.

Thanks.

D.

I play that 2 is the weakest raise, normally with three hearts.

2 showing a good raise to two hearts (normally with three hearts or very balanced four hearts), but it may be stronger with three hearts.

2NT shows a good four-card raise to three hearts or better, and is normally the strongest response.

3 shows a mixed raise with four hearts, something like 7-9 points and 3 is pre-emptive.

Many people use redouble to show a doubleton top honour in hearts, but I prefer to use it to show a competitive hand normally with any doubleton heart.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users