BBO Discussion Forums: Third X-imps weird hand I got wrong - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Third X-imps weird hand I got wrong

#1 User is offline   AL78 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 995
  • Joined: 2019-October-13

Posted 2021-April-09, 17:32

5 card majors, weak NT.



T lead was explained something like may be top of nothing or hold a higher honor (I can't remember the explanation exactly). I'm not sure I've got the play of the first tricks right, but it was definitely three rounds of spades. With eight tricks it looks like I have to generate a club trick through a finesse. Thinking South is marked with all (or nearly all) the outstanding HCP, and so holds the K, I played a club to the ten. Wrong, South wins with the singleton jack and cashes two spades, one down. I didn't expect South to hold five spades as well as a heart suit. -3.33 instead of a moderate positive score.

Quote from North: "You could have bid 2 to show a two suiter".
0

#2 User is offline   sfi 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,167
  • Joined: 2009-May-18
  • Location:Oz

Posted 2021-April-09, 17:41

You have 8 tricks and don't want the opponents to get in, so you do best to simply play a club to the queen. If it wins, you're home. If it loses and they don't cash enough spades to beat you, you can play a club to the ten next round. An immediate club to the 10 never makes 9 tricks when a club to the queen doesn't.
0

#3 User is offline   morecharac 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 159
  • Joined: 2020-September-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Cyclothymic dilettantism

Posted 2021-April-10, 00:51

View PostAL78, on 2021-April-09, 17:32, said:

Quote from North: "You could have bid 2 to show a two suiter".

Uh huh.

That would really test my ethics in regard to just up and leaving a game.
0

#4 User is offline   nullve 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,841
  • Joined: 2014-April-08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norway
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2021-April-10, 02:56

So North and South might have thought they were playing Multilandy and Cappelletti, respectively.

what were 2 and XX explained to you as? (By Noeth and South, respectively, if this was f2f bridge.)
0

#5 User is offline   AL78 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 995
  • Joined: 2019-October-13

Posted 2021-April-10, 03:13

View Postnullve, on 2021-April-10, 02:56, said:

So North and South might have thought they were playing Multilandy and Cappelletti, respectively.

what were 2 and XX explained to you as? (By Noeth and South, respectively, if this was f2f bridge.)


2 was explained as any single suiter, XX wasn't explained or alerted, so I made what I thought was the most logical bid at the time.
0

#6 User is online   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,509
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2021-April-10, 03:46

View PostAL78, on 2021-April-10, 03:13, said:

2 was explained as any single suiter, XX wasn't explained or alerted, so I made what I thought was the most logical bid at the time.


Hmm, weird situation. You would need to find out what their agreements actually were, you may have been damaged by the explanation, if for example their actual agreement was ASPTRO you would know S was likely to be 4-6 or more likely 5-6 in the majors and once he follows to a diamond you can play A and lead up to the Q catering to anything except 4612 with Kx.
0

#7 User is offline   AL78 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 995
  • Joined: 2019-October-13

Posted 2021-April-10, 04:14

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-April-10, 03:46, said:

Hmm, weird situation. You would need to find out what their agreements actually were, you may have been damaged by the explanation, if for example their actual agreement was ASPTRO you would know S was likely to be 4-6 or more likely 5-6 in the majors and once he follows to a diamond you can play A and lead up to the Q catering to anything except 4612 with Kx.


I think South forgot they had the ability to show a two suiter in the majors so treated it as a one suiter, so I don't think I was damaged, the explanation of 2 was correct.
0

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,639
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2021-April-10, 11:28

View PostAL78, on 2021-April-10, 04:14, said:

I think South forgot they had the ability to show a two suiter in the majors so treated it as a one suiter, so I don't think I was damaged, the explanation of 2 was correct.


The only infraction I see is the lack of an alert on 2: but you say it was explained and correctly too, so I wouldn't be in a hurry to adjust just because South forgot he had an alternative agreement. I also agree you weren't damaged. 3NT makes and West could also double that reckless 3 for -1100.
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users