BBO Discussion Forums: Make it easier to swap partners at a table - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Make it easier to swap partners at a table (without losing "Other Tables" History)

#1 User is offline   nwken 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-March-21, 22:48

My friends and I like to play round robin matches. We will play 8 boards, then switch partners, and repeat until we’ve played 24. We have the table set to “Permission required to play”, so that the Host can prevent a stranger from joining in while we are switching seats. Then, when it’s time to switch, two people will simply click on their own username to “stand up” (become a Kibitzer at the table), then click on the other, now vacant, seat. The Host accepts them, does a “Reset Score”, and we begin the next round. The comprehensive score shown under My Table is an individual score. The score displayed in the upper left is the partnership score for each set of eight boards.

This all works pretty well. The problem is…

After such a switch in partners, the History tab, "Other Tables" information is unavailable, except for your own table. If you want to see how others played a previous hand, you can’t. Clicking on any result but your own yields “Error loading deal”. This is true for everyone at the table, Host or not, those who switched seats and those who did not. (The Refresh button does not help either.) After getting “Error loading deal”, if you again click on that result, you get “Loading data. Please wait…” Even several minutes later, that is the message. Curiously, the History of Other Tables does not get lost! You can find it much later, the next time you log in, under History, Recent hands. But of course, it is too late for the live post-play discussion.

Speed of changing partners does not seem to matter. Even if seat changing is done very quickly, the information is still lost. We have also tried setting up an invisible table, which does not require Host Acceptance. But at an invisible table, your hands will not be retrievable later under History - Recent hands.

Is there a better method for switching seats, which would retain the History of Other Tables?
Is there a better way to play a round robin match with friends?

#2 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-March-21, 23:31

How about just not hitting reset score? I believe this is what wipes the previous boards, and it's not too difficult to quickly tot them up via the history tab at the end. To be honest, it's usually better, since sometimes it takes some time for boards to be played at other tables, so the longer they're up, the more accurate the scores will be.

#3 User is offline   nwken 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-March-25, 18:06

View Postsmerriman, on 2021-March-21, 23:31, said:

How about just not hitting reset score? I believe this is what wipes the previous boards, and it's not too difficult to quickly tot them up via the history tab at the end. To be honest, it's usually better, since sometimes it takes some time for boards to be played at other tables, so the longer they're up, the more accurate the scores will be.

I confirmed that you are correct. It's the "Reset Score" that causes the loss of "Other tables" History.
We played yesterday without resetting the score, but we really miss having the ongoing score displayed for easy reference.

- - -

I would still like to keep this as a software change suggestion. I know there are others who would use it. Perhaps the implementation could be a "Change partners" button which:
1. Allows the host to choose the seats of the other three players, or simply which two to swap
2. Redeals the hand (which it does already for "Permission required to play")
3. Resets the score, but without affecting the History.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users