Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unusual Auction

#1 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-April-08, 06:28

Match Points (on-line - of course, unknown opponents)
West opens a weak NT and partner doubles for penalties - which for us will usually show 16 HCPs or 15 and a good lead.

You don't have much defensive strength and take out partner's double to 2 (do you prefer 3? or 2NT, showing a two-suited hand? or pass?).

You have already decided that you will be happy to bid 2 if East competes with 2. But East surprises you by jumping to 4. do you bid 4?

#2 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-08, 08:23

Vulnerable against not, no thank you. East should be quite strong on this sequence - with a shapely but weak hand you pre-empt immediately after a penalty double, and they had 2H and 3H available as well (or even pass) on the last round. Opposite a normal 16-count in north 4S has no play, and you're likely trading a plus for a minus score.

#3 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-April-08, 08:32

Bid 2 (it's not two-suited in my opinion) in response to partner's X, pass opponent's 4 bid. I wouldn't even contemplate 4 even non-vulnerable, let alone vulnerable. If they go down in 4 it should be a reasonable, even good MP score. Why make a (bad) guess and give yourselves a bottom score? It looks like the opponents have the majority of the HCPs, even though you have good shape. For all you know, East's 4 is a guess, too, and it could turn out badly.

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-08, 08:55

Once in a blue moon 4 will work, partner will have AKQxx,xx, Ax, Kxx or similar, but most of the time you're just digging a BIG hole at this vul, 2 is normal, but it's not unreasonable particularly against a weak NT where partner might have a 2N opener more often than against a strong one to agree that 3 shows a decent 6 card suit without much strength.

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2020-April-08, 09:06

At the table, I would be asking about their methods over the double. I’d guess that the pass by responder created a force on opener, but at the table I’d refuse to guess: I’d ask.

Once I knew what their agreements were, I’d have greater confidence than I presently have about what’s going on.

Having said that, in the real world I’d pass 4H. Players who bid 4S here will get a great result some of the time. Reminds me of a saying popular when, many years ago, I rode motorcycles: there are old motorcyclists, there are bold motorcyclists, but there are no old bold motorcyclists.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-08, 09:25

View Postmikeh, on 2020-April-08, 09:06, said:

At the table, I would be asking about their methods over the double.

I asked and was told "to play".

What hand do you picture for East? Presumably about a nine-count, with long hearts and a source of tricks for his partner in a 1NT contract, so most of the nine points are in hearts.

#7 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-April-08, 10:15

View PostTramticket, on 2020-April-08, 09:25, said:

What hand do you picture for East? Presumably about a nine-count, with long hearts and a source of tricks for his partner in a 1NT contract, so most of the nine points are in hearts.

Yup, probably one outside slow stop Qxx, or Jxxx, but if he thought he could make 4 he'd have bid it since it beats 1Nx+2 so the 2-P-P has improved his hand somehow.

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2020-April-08, 10:17

View PostTramticket, on 2020-April-08, 09:25, said:

I asked and was told "to play".

You misunderstand me or I misunderstand you😊 Obviously 4H is to play. But what, if anything, his pass of the double mean? It seems to me improbable that east has a hand where he expects to make 4H and yet hopes to play in 1N doubled.

Even if 1N makes, it scores less than does 4H.

Many pairs, playing a weak notrump, use the pass to force a redouble, catering to a variety of hands. That’s what I want to know,

If, from east’s perspective, the contract could have been 1N doubled, that implies a somewhat different hand than if east knew that he was getting a chance to bid 4H after passing.

Anyway, this is a minor issue, since I would not bid anyway. However, if pass forced opener to bid, I would not have bid 2D. I would have passed to see what happened. I may only hav3 3 hcp, but I have a far better hand than that number implies.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#9 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-08, 11:14

View Postmikeh, on 2020-April-08, 10:17, said:

You misunderstand me or I misunderstand you😊 Obviously 4H is to play. But what, if anything, his pass of the double mean? It seems to me improbable that east has a hand where he expects to make 4H and yet hopes to play in 1N doubled.

Just to be clear, the pass of 1NT doubled was described as "to play". Yes I am aware that there is an inconsistency between wanting to play 1NT doubled (not game) and wanting to play in a 4H game. It is possible that a redouble would be artificial, so the choice was to "take the money" in 1NT doubled or bid a more speculative 4H (and 4H might have become less speculative in the context of my 2D bid).

My guess was a heart suit that he was hoping would run and nothing outside.

I understand your opinion that you would not be bidding over 4H, whatever the explanation. :)

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2020-April-22, 09:57

Congratulations on your 94.9% board and the 0.14 Masterpoints it brought. It is nonetheless a terrible call in my opinion. Nice to see David Stevenson on the traveller - have not seen him in forever and feared he might be unwell. His partner played in a mundane 4 for 82.65%.
(-: Zel :-)

#11 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-24, 11:09

View PostZelandakh, on 2020-April-22, 09:57, said:

Congratulations on your 94.9% board and the 0.14 Masterpoints it brought. It is nonetheless a terrible call in my opinion. Nice to see David Stevenson on the traveller - have not seen him in forever and feared he might be unwell. His partner played in a mundane 4 for 82.65%.

I don't know David personally, but I have noticed him online a few times recently - he seems to be part of a team in the EBU's online teams league.

Yes I agree that sadly my call was a lucky bid. I had largely stopped playing on line, mainly because I fall into bad habits such as playing too quickly. It was an impetuous bid, which happened to work ... and that started me wondering ...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users