BBO Discussion Forums: Player refuses to play a board. Your ruling? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Player refuses to play a board. Your ruling? Procedural penalty?

#1 User is offline   zenbiddist 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-September-22, 20:10

I work as a director in a bridge club, and usually the games are very harmonious. Unfortunately today I had this situation, and two of the players involved were upset:

With four minutes on the clock, a player refused to play the last board, claiming there was not enough time. I didn't get called until there was two minutes on the clock, and they were too upset to play it quickly, so I had to decide which adjusted score if any to give (law 90A). I haven't needed to issue a procedural penalty in five years of directing. How do you think the laws apply, and what would you have done?

Thanks

#2 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-September-22, 21:15

If you normally issue a "do not start any new boards" instruction at some point, and that point has been reached, the player is correct to decline to start a new board. If the point has not been reached, he is not correct. In the latter case, you could issue him a PP. I'd give a PP(W) (a PP in the form of a warning) for a first offense, but if you do that, be sure that a second offense by the same player gets a PP in MPs or IMPs.

Why did it take two minutes for them to call you?

As for the score adjustment, if they argued for two minutes before calling you, I'd give both sides average minus. If only one side was directly at fault, they get average minus and the other gets average or (unlikely, I think) average plus if they were in no way at fault.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-September-22, 21:50

It sounds to me like that the side that started it by refusing to start the board was primarily at fault and should get average minus. The other side, by not calling you immediately to resolve the problem, is partly at fault, so should get average.

#4 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-September-22, 22:41

Works for me. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users