BBO Discussion Forums: Robot's Texas Transfers - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Robot's Texas Transfers Any way to refine definitions?

#1 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-July-09, 07:35

An example hand -- and I'm sure BBO could easily find many more -- is given here (click)

My problem/request is that GIB should be able to differentiate between good Texas bids and bad ones. If I (South) unilaterally invoke RKCB, it becomes a lottery.

If, instead, GIB could show uninspiring hands thru Texas (1NT-4; 4) and invitational/good hands thru Jacoby (1NT-2; 2-4) that would make life much easier for South to guess when to try for slam.

In the example hand above, 4+2 was only 33%.

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-09, 08:07

The robots do play that 1NT-2H-2S-4S is a slam try. It took you having a super-max (and probably worth an upgrade) to make 6.
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-09, 08:47

I think I knew that robots do play 1NT-2H-2S-4S as a slam try. And my example may not have been best to make my point; it was just the most recent I came across.

My point is that perhaps GIB developers can evaluate whether the "slam-try" logic works effectively. I have a sense that bots often use Texas transfer and then pass. As a hypothesis, perhaps the GIB simulation presumes a 2-card fit with 1NT opener -- which is why it overwhelmingly uses Texas instead of Jacoby & game.

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-July-09, 10:10

The hand given is 6-4 in the majors. So Stayman then if 2 jump to 3 as Smolen then if 3N-4M shows a 6-4 slam try.

Without 6-4 in another suit you can transfer and bid second suit. You could also self-splinter (not sure if Gib plays that.

With 6331 unless your playing self-splinters stuck with Jacoby transfer then jumping to 4M showing a mild slam try.

South African transfers allow what you want 4C=H, 4D=S then bidding the suit in between says opener likes the suit. Not many people play this.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-09, 13:47

View Postmanudude03, on 2017-July-09, 08:07, said:

The robots do play that 1NT-2H-2S-4S is a slam try. It took you having a super-max (and probably worth an upgrade) to make 6.

There are several other types of 1NT hands that may make slam worthwhile.

1) Nothing wasted in diamonds
2) AK and nothing wasted in clubs
3) Make up your own example

Of course if you do have a super max, you don't have a chance to show the super max except by going past game. If you make a unilateral slam try, you deserve to find a dummy where even 4 is in doubt.

#6 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-09, 13:50

View Postshyams, on 2017-July-09, 08:47, said:

My point is that perhaps GIB developers can evaluate whether the "slam-try" logic works effectively. I have a sense that bots often use Texas transfer and then pass. As a hypothesis, perhaps the GIB simulation presumes a 2-card fit with 1NT opener -- which is why it overwhelmingly uses Texas instead of Jacoby & game.

If GIB uses simulations (IMO, this is a "book" bid based on fixed criteria), then it would model partner having a range of fit, from 2 to 5 card support.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users