BBO Discussion Forums: Clarification on Claim Rules at BBO - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Clarification on Claim Rules at BBO

#1 User is offline   10akqj 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-March-30, 10:17

While I was kibbing, with four cards to play, South as declarer claimed all the remaining tricks, with West on lead. The claim was incorrect as the defense had one more trick, provided he cashed the winning trick. The claim was rejected and West was asked to continue.

West, even with all the cards exposed, most definitely, did not see the winning defence and was dithering and procrastinating. After a while, East prompted him to lead a particular card, which resulted in one more trick for the defense.

My question is whether East as the partner of the person on lead can prompt West to play a particular card? Is it legal and is it ethical?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-March-30, 12:31

View Post10akqj, on 2017-March-30, 10:17, said:

While I was kibbing, with four cards to play, South as declarer claimed all the remaining tricks, with West on lead. The claim was incorrect as the defense had one more trick, provided he cashed the winning trick. The claim was rejected and West was asked to continue.

West, even with all the cards exposed, most definitely, did not see the winning defence and was dithering and procrastinating. After a while, East prompted him to lead a particular card, which resulted in one more trick for the defense.

My question is whether East as the partner of the person on lead can prompt West to play a particular card? Is it legal and is it ethical?

This was in the main bridge club, with no TD available? This is often considered more like rubber bridge, and the rubber bridge laws say:

When his claim or concession is not allowed, declarer
must play on, leaving his hand face up on the table. At any
time either defender may face his hand for inspection by his
partner, and declarer may not impose a penalty for any irregularity
committed by a defender whose hand is so faced.

On BBO, when declarer claims, defenders get to see all 4 hands, so both defenders are included in "a defender whose hand is so faced", and therefore there's no penalty for defenders telling each other what to play.

Although I have little sympathy for West, who couldn't see the winning defence even though he's defending double dummy.

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2017-March-30, 12:50

In ACBL pair games on BBO, if a claim is made play is supposed to cease and the TD adjudicates the claim.

In practice, many reject the claim and let declarer play on. The defender's hands are NOT faced.

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-March-30, 14:38

View Postbarmar, on 2017-March-30, 12:31, said:

Although I have little sympathy for West, who couldn't see the winning defence even though he's defending double dummy.

You need to play with the "masses" a little more :P

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users