BBO Discussion Forums: BBF Challenge Event #2 - BBO Discussion Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBF Challenge Event #2

Poll: BBF Challenge Event #2 (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Scoring

1. IMPs (22 votes [68.75%])

Percentage of vote: 68.75%

2. MPs (10 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

Best Hand

1. Best Hand (8 votes [24.24%])

Percentage of vote: 24.24%

2. Not Best Hand (25 votes [75.76%])

Percentage of vote: 75.76%

Boards

1. Less - specify below (3 votes [8.82%])

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

2. 32 (20 votes [58.82%])

Percentage of vote: 58.82%

3. 48 (5 votes [14.71%])

Percentage of vote: 14.71%

4. 64 (6 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

5. More - specify below (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-September-03, 15:02

View Postovncylmz, on 2016-September-03, 14:45, said:

I am willing to take the responsibility (possibly with frank0) at least for for a few of the future events, but I think that we should really have a better way to communicate than bbo forums. Maybe registration and game info sharing are made through email - when people know each other's email etc., I feel that things will be a lot more organized.

Or perhaps make a WhatsApp group where people can know when the other person has read their message.

Who really looks at email nowadays? :rolleyes:

#142 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-September-03, 15:16

Already getting too complicated with logistics :) Just message each other on BBO , on BBF, and post here that shd be plenty. It's a BBF/BBO thing, shouldn't require contact info outside these two sites IMO. I wouldn't wanna post my email to play some match for instance, if I didn't work here.

#143 User is offline   ovncylmz 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-September-03, 16:13

Yea that is why I will just get bbochallenge@gmail.com :) Then people can simply email to that address and a mail-list will work perfect for the arrangements - you can see things here too, but also you will get an email if something important happens (hrothgar and phil's cases).

#144 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-04, 16:56

Finished my match with nullve. Was crushed in the first set (-56) and pulled back some pride in the second (+20) but not enough. Thanks nullve for the game and gl with the rest.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#145 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-September-04, 16:56

1st half:

http://webutil.bridg...aeb4-1472627694

2nd half:

http://webutil.bridg...aeb4-1472804892

Yes, thanks for the game. I missed some opportunities in the second half1, and expected to lose that set by up to 30 IMPs if you did everyhing right.

1 For example on board 13. Passing 2 looks extremely timid, of course, but I was actually going to bid 3 --- until I discovered that 3 would have promised 6+ H and a zillion points.

#146 User is offline   ovncylmz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-04, 18:10

Current status:

Phil vs manudude03 [no news from manudude03, phil is also away]
ovncylmz(+45) vs smerriman
olegru vs diana_eva(+16)
dadim(+81) vs barmar
zebutin(+65, not complete) vs eagles123 [will eagles123 play? not sure]
jeffford76(+17) vs frank0
broze vs nullve (+36)
hrothgar vs wackojack(+4, not complete) [wackojack is away, hrothgar played all 32]

#147 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-September-04, 19:42

I'm lurking. No updates.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#148 User is offline   ovncylmz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-04, 21:32

View PostPhil, on 2016-September-04, 19:42, said:

I'm lurking. No updates.

@Phil - If you don't hear anything by tomorrow night, you should win and your seed for QF should be determined by a draw.

@Hrothgar @Wackojack - Any news?

@Zebutin @Eagles123 - What is happening?

#149 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-September-05, 08:21

My challenge with Wayne expired. I don't want to win by default but do not want to hold up the next round either. If we can get the next round in by early next week we will do so.

Question: is the bracket for each new round already pre-determined or is it a new shuffling based on win margin of the prior round? If the latter, a default win should be by 1 IMP to be fair to those who actually won their match.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#150 User is offline   ovncylmz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-05, 10:12

View PostPhil, on 2016-September-05, 08:21, said:

My challenge with Wayne expired. I don't want to win by default but do not want to hold up the next round either. If we can get the next round in by early next week we will do so.

Question: is the bracket for each new round already pre-determined or is it a new shuffling based on win margin of the prior round? If the latter, a default win should be by 1 IMP to be fair to those who actually won their match.

Unfortunately, smerriman announced at the very beginning it is based on "win margin" which is proven to create problems, i.e., zebutin vs. eagles123 and phil vs. manudude03 games. Give him one or two more days. Btw, I heard today is that eagles123 rejected the challenge sent by zebutin for the second set.

By the way, does anybody have a good idea on how to solve the situation for hrothgar game if the game expires? If wackojack does not get the proper penalty for this, I have a feeling that people may just start leaving for a few days(!) after they have a few bad boards in the set they are playing [Note: I don't say wackojack did this, but giving no punishment opens this up for games in the future]

#151 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-September-05, 10:30

You shd keep in mind that the people who participate here are long time forum contributors, they deserve a bit of mercy and some assumption that they have good intentions and don't mean to ruin things for others :) If Wackojack's challenge expires, he can concede or agree with hrothgar to play another one quickly. I'm very much against assigning penalties.

#152 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-05, 12:42

A suggestion:

While it makes sense to use the round 1 scores for deciding qualifiers (among those who lost) and to determine match-ups, it would probably be useful to decide brackets/progressions immediately as part of round 2. What I mean is:
Round 2: #1 plays #16, #2 plays #15 etc
Round 3: Winner of {#1 vs #16} plays winner of {#8 vs #9}, winner of {#2 vs #15} plays winner of {#7 vs #10}
Round 4: ...etc.

We then wouldn't have to worry about IMP margins except in Round 1. It will also reduce the workload/follow-up requirements of the organiser, and will allow winners to know who they play next regardless of margins.

For your consideration

#153 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-05, 12:47

View Postovncylmz, on 2016-September-05, 10:12, said:

By the way, does anybody have a good idea on how to solve the situation for hrothgar game if the game expires? If wackojack does not get the proper penalty for this, I have a feeling that people may just start leaving for a few days(!) after they have a few bad boards in the set they are playing [Note: I don't say wackojack did this, but giving no punishment opens this up for games in the future]

If you play boards then it records the scores that you play. This was a very good idea on BBO's part. What is not good is that as far as I can work out if you accept the challenge late in the third day and play the boards, the person who actually initiated the challenge has basically no time at all to play it!
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#154 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2016-September-05, 13:12

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-September-03, 04:39, said:

I did chat with Wackojacko.

I said that I was happy to play challenges anytime between Friday and Monday.
This one showed up on Friday morning, so I played it...

OK I have just returned this moment from Ireland. I was playiong in a bridge tourney Fri, Sat and Sunday there and had absolutely no time to get on line let alone play. I made the challenge to Richard (hrothgar) on tuesday last week and was hoping that I would be able to complete the 32 before Friday. Early thursday evening I checked that my challenge was was still waiting but very late I saw that Richard had accpeted and played the first 16. So I immediately played the first 16 having to fly the next morning. I just had time next morning to make a challenge without seeing the expiry. Would it have been any better had I not made the challenge and waited until today? Sorry I did my best but not having played a challenge match before I was not aware that BBO would not allow me to play 3 days later. Would I have done better just not to make the challenge until now? Would that have caused a bigger furore?

Anyway I am very sorry for the inconvenience I have caused and have this moment made another challenge. I can now play now at very short notice. I have just logged in to BBO to send a message to Richard about this.
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#155 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-05, 14:39

Lots of lessons learnt on how to / how not to conduct a friendly tournament here. Whoever does the next one can learn from all my mistakes :)

Still 28 hours until the 'official deadline' - hrothgar can play another 16 boards if he is happy to, but as he had already played through a full set of boards, doesn't have to - he can take a win by default if he chooses or can't play by then.

Given the large first match margin I think is fair to have zebutin ranked highest. If the games can't be played, Phil can take a 1 IMP win as per his suggestion (given this means a win by default results in being ranked 'last', an alternate suggestion would be to be ranked in the middle).

#156 User is offline   frank0 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-05, 14:41

View Postdiana_eva, on 2016-September-03, 15:16, said:

Already getting too complicated with logistics :) Just message each other on BBO , on BBF, and post here that shd be plenty. It's a BBF/BBO thing, shouldn't require contact info outside these two sites IMO. I wouldn't wanna post my email to play some match for instance, if I didn't work here.

View Postovncylmz, on 2016-September-05, 10:12, said:

Unfortunately, smerriman announced at the very beginning it is based on "win margin" which is proven to create problems, i.e., zebutin vs. eagles123 and phil vs. manudude03 games. Give him one or two more days. Btw, I heard today is that eagles123 rejected the challenge sent by zebutin for the second set.

View Postdiana_eva, on 2016-September-05, 10:30, said:

You shd keep in mind that the people who participate here are long time forum contributors, they deserve a bit of mercy and some assumption that they have good intentions and don't mean to ruin things for others :) If Wackojack's challenge expires, he can concede or agree with hrothgar to play another one quickly. I'm very much against assigning penalties.

View Postshyams, on 2016-September-05, 12:42, said:

A suggestion:

While it makes sense to use the round 1 scores for deciding qualifiers (among those who lost) and to determine match-ups, it would probably be useful to decide brackets/progressions immediately as part of round 2. What I mean is:
Round 2: #1 plays #16, #2 plays #15 etc
Round 3: Winner of {#1 vs #16} plays winner of {#8 vs #9}, winner of {#2 vs #15} plays winner of {#7 vs #10}
Round 4: ...etc.

We then wouldn't have to worry about IMP margins except in Round 1. It will also reduce the workload/follow-up requirements of the organiser, and will allow winners to know who they play next regardless of margins.

For your consideration

View Postbroze, on 2016-September-05, 12:47, said:

If you play boards then it records the scores that you play. This was a very good idea on BBO's part. What is not good is that as far as I can work out if you accept the challenge late in the third day and play the boards, the person who actually initiated the challenge has basically no time at all to play it!

View Postsmerriman, on 2016-September-05, 14:39, said:

Lots of lessons learnt on how to / how not to conduct a friendly tournament here. Whoever does the next one can learn from all my mistakes :)

Still 28 hours until the 'official deadline' - hrothgar can play another 16 boards if he is happy to, but as he had already played through a full set of boards, doesn't have to - he can take a win by default if he chooses or can't play by then.

Given the large first match margin I think is fair to have zebutin ranked highest. If the games can't be played, Phil can take a 1 IMP win as per his suggestion (given this means a win by default results in being ranked 'last', an alternate suggestion would be to be ranked in the middle).

I opened another thread to discuss the possible future format.
http://www.bridgebas...mat-discussion/

#157 User is offline   ovncylmz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-05, 15:05

Hello everybody,

For the next stages and future tournaments: If you see your challenge is "yellow" after one or two days, please cancel it and resend it. This will take care of most of the problems about time issues.

#158 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-September-05, 15:12

View PostWackojack, on 2016-September-05, 13:12, said:

OK I have just returned this moment from Ireland. I was playiong in a bridge tourney Fri, Sat and Sunday there and had absolutely no time to get on line let alone play. I made the challenge to Richard (hrothgar) on tuesday last week and was hoping that I would be able to complete the 32 before Friday. Early thursday evening I checked that my challenge was was still waiting but very late I saw that Richard had accpeted and played the first 16. So I immediately played the first 16 having to fly the next morning. I just had time next morning to make a challenge without seeing the expiry. Would it have been any better had I not made the challenge and waited until today? Sorry I did my best but not having played a challenge match before I was not aware that BBO would not allow me to play 3 days later. Would I have done better just not to make the challenge until now? Would that have caused a bigger furore?

Anyway I am very sorry for the inconvenience I have caused and have this moment made another challenge. I can now play now at very short notice. I have just logged in to BBO to send a message to Richard about this.

Just finishing up now

(My last set was better) :-)
Alderaan delenda est

#159 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-September-06, 10:02

Wackojacko won a very flat round two by another 4 IMPs, advancing him to the next round with a score of +8

Good luck!
Alderaan delenda est

#160 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2016-September-06, 10:40

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-September-06, 10:02, said:

Wackojacko won a very flat round two by another 4 IMPs, advancing him to the next round with a score of +8

Good luck!

Thanks Richard for being magnanimous in playing another 16.
http://webutil.bridg...055&u=wackojack
+4
http://webutil.bridg...149&u=wackojack
+4

After making a bad defensive error on B1 in the 2nd set when I could have defeated 4H I thought I had blown it. I had the rub of the green with 2 part score swings.
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook