• You cannot reply to this topic

Fielded Misbids - EBU

#1 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2016-March-07, 15:10

Am just trying to get round this.

"Players are required to disclose their agreements, both explicit and implicit. If a player believes, from partnership experience, that partner may have deviated from the system this must be disclosed to the opponents. If a player properly discloses this possibility, the player will not be penalised for fielding it, although there may be a penalty for playing an illegal method." - EBU white book 1.4.1

Suppose a pair is playing Ghestem (what else!) and after a 1 Heart bid, partner bids 3 Clubs, ostensibly showing spades and diamonds. The player alerts

Holding 5-5 in the two suits and a void club, the player suspects that partner has misbid and intends to act on that assumption.

a) What does he say if asked?
b) Does he do anything if not asked?
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-March-07, 15:48

Note the important phrase "from partnership experience".
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2016-March-08, 03:15

So this means you can field misbids (providing AI fully duplicates UI) - but if partner often forgets then you have to tell the opponents.

Suppose the bidding goes (as above)

W... N....E S
1H 3C(A) P P!
P

East was expecting a response from South since he'd looked at the convention card and seen (Ghestem - and a description) on it - and therefore would have another chance to make a call.

Have EW been damaged?
Would EW be held to account for not protecting themselves?
How could South have disclosed the propensity of his partner to forget conventions if not asked? Is NS supposed to mark their convention card. "** Warning *** North often forgets conventions?"

How would I rule? (EW had 4 Spades on but a 3 Spade bid by East would have been supporting hearts - West didn't want to bid Spades as it looked as if there was bad distribution around (Spades 4-5-4-0))

Is a suitable ruling NS were playing 1H : 3C as Either Clubs or Spades and Diamonds? (Which I believe is illegal at level 4 BB 7E2)
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#4 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-08, 05:15

View Postweejonnie, on 2016-March-08, 03:15, said:

So this means you can field misbids (providing AI fully duplicates UI) - but if partner often forgets then you have to tell the opponents.

I'm not sure what your phrase in parentheses means, but if you have no UI you are able to guess that your partner has misbid. However, you may then be considered to be playing an illegal agreement.

Suppose the bidding goes (as above)

W... N....E S
1H 3C(A) P P!
P

East was expecting a response from South since he'd looked at the convention card and seen (Ghestem - and a description) on it - and therefore would have another chance to make a call.

Have EW been damaged?.

Yes, they have been misinformed.

Would EW be held to account for not protecting themselves?.

I can't see why.

How could South have disclosed the propensity of his partner to forget conventions if not asked? Is NS supposed to mark their convention card. "** Warning *** North often forgets conventions?"

What NS are supposed to do is to remember their conventions, or else expect to get ruled against on the basis of this regulation.

How would I rule? (EW had 4 Spades on but a 3 Spade bid by East would have been supporting hearts - West didn't want to bid Spades as it looked as if there was bad distribution around (Spades 4-5-4-0))

Is a suitable ruling NS were playing 1H : 3C as Either Clubs or Spades and Diamonds? (Which I believe is illegal at level 4 BB 7E2)

Yes, that seems to me to be what we envisaged with this regulation.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-March-08, 10:20

Is NS supposed to mark their convention card. "** Warning *** North often forgets conventions?"

You're not supposed to play conventions that you often forget.

We're only human, so mistakes happen, but if they happen often enough that you have to ask the above question, you need to fix the root cause, not disclose it.

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-08, 11:51

Have EW been damaged?

The answer to that question cannot be determined until the hand is over.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   robert2734 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-08, 12:04

View Postbarmar, on 2016-March-08, 10:20, said:

You're not supposed to play conventions that you often forget.

My partners make me play conventions I don't know.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users