• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Poor 6S: What went wrong?

#21 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-February-24, 00:37

I am not keen on the 4D splinter but it is forgivable if the alternatives are all similarly flawed. I agree with South's 4H and then with North I would commit to 5S after the 4H, but not to 6S.

The only new point I bring to the table is that for me 3D would be a splinter, and being a level lower North may feel that the slow approach is more likely to elicit enough extra useful information in order bother to look for it.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#22 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2016-March-01, 16:08

View Postkgsmith, on 2016-February-22, 15:07, said:

At IMPs and using a standard "strong and 5" system, we played in 6-1 on the 4 lead. Where did we go wrong?

I assume the auction is the problem. FYI, the heart lead was won with the king, and the SQ run to the SK. A diamond was returned. Partner drew one more round of trumps, took the club finesse and tried to ruff two clubs, using a heart as one entry to dummy. The heart was ruffed for -1.

With the ST being doubleton, doesn't 6S make? Only lose one trick to the spade king.
CK onside. 2 clubs, 2 club ruffs, 1 diamond, 4 hearts, and 3 spades. 12 tricks.

#23 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-March-07, 07:59

Both players pushed a little too hard on this deal and got to a marginal slam - I wouldn't call it a disaster. If declarer guessed a little better they might even have made it!

As no-one else has raised it I wanted to add that in sequences like this where one player is able to describe their hand very precisely, it is far more valuable to use 4H as a generic 'last train' slam try rather than specifically as a heart cue.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users