• You cannot reply to this topic

1m - (1H) - X what is "standard"

#41 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-February-17, 17:31

diana_eva, on 2016-February-17, 15:45, said:

This post. Yes, was pretty entertaining. I wish he were kidding, but I doubt it.

A personal favourite:

http://www.bridgebas...-or-not-part-2/
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#42 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-February-17, 18:46

The modern standard treatment is that the Double is for takeout (i.e., a negative or Sputnik double) showing exactly 4 spades. In this style, responder bid 1S (not Double) with 5+ spades.

Another approach (which I think is better) is to Double to show values and a desire to bid without exactly 4 card length in spades. (With 4 card length in spades, responder bids 1S.) Using this method, you can handle awkward hands without a stopper in the opponent's heart suit where you have too good a hand to pass (e.g., KQx, xx, Axxxx, xxx where, after partner's opening bid of 1C is overcalled with 1H, you would be stuck). So you double with fewer than 4 spades or 5+ spades. But this is not standard.

There are other approaches out there too, including transfers. In this style, Double is a transfer to spades, 1S is a transfer to clubs, and so on.

#43 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-18, 04:49

Caitlynne, on 2016-February-17, 18:46, said:

So you double with fewer than 4 spades or 5+ spades. But this is not standard.

Nor is it, as far as I can tell, playable.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#44 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-18, 05:45

miamijd, on 2016-February-17, 00:59, said:

a) is certainly std in the USA. "Nearly always" is right. 1s will never show 5+ spades (then you would bid 1s), but on rare occasions it might be only 3 if you have a decent hand and no other bid. For example:

1c (1h) ??

AKx xxx Kxxx xxx

Here, X seems like the best of a bunch of bad choices.

Yes I agree with X being the best choice here even if it "promises" four. 2 would be normal in a 4-card major system, though. Playing 5-card majors, one could also consider 2 or pass. Hopefully not 1NT, though.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#45 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-19, 03:11

helene_t, on 2016-February-18, 05:45, said:

miamijd, on 2016-February-17, 00:59, said:

a) is certainly std in the USA. "Nearly always" is right. 1s will never show 5+ spades (then you would bid 1s), but on rare occasions it might be only 3 if you have a decent hand and no other bid. For example:

1c (1h) ??

AKx xxx Kxxx xxx

Here, X seems like the best of a bunch of bad choices.

Yes I agree with X being the best choice here even if it "promises" four. 2 would be normal in a 4-card major system, though. Playing 5-card majors, one could also consider 2 or pass. Hopefully not 1NT, though.

Would you also recommend DBL holding xxx AKx Kxxx xxx after
1-(1)-?

I think DBL is asking for trouble. It is not the type of distribution where a 4-3 major suit fit will play well
Why the rush? What is really wrong with Pass? 4333 is by nature not an offensive distribution.
However, I admit I do not subscribe to the standard concept that a 1NT rebid by opener should show 18-19 HCP when both responder and advancer pass the 1M overcall.
Responder is almost never broke in this sequence.

Rainer Herrmann

#46 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-19, 04:34

rhm, on 2016-February-19, 03:11, said:

1-(1)-?

I think DBL is asking for trouble. It is not the type of distribution where a 4-3 major suit fit will play well
Why the rush? What is really wrong with Pass? 4333 is by nature not an offensive distribution.
However, I admit I do not subscribe to the standard concept that a 1NT rebid by opener should show 18-19 HCP when both responder and advancer pass the 1M overcall.
Responder is almost never broke in this sequence.

Rainer Herrmann

Yes I agree that pass is reasonably safe.

As for your first question: No. I would never double spades without hearts. The difference is that here it could lead to a 3-3 fit. This won't happen if I double hearts: If partner bids 1, I think I can bid 2 without overstating my values too much.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#47 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-19, 05:48

helene_t, on 2016-February-18, 05:45, said:

A couple of points :

In this game you do not have thousands of bids available to accurately describe various hands, so I am happy with the explanation (if asked) that double shows 4 spades (definitely standard) even if occasionally partner might not turn out to have 4, having made what she considers the best of possible alternative bids. I think the key thing is that opener raises, or makes his bid whatever it is, on the EXPECTATION that it is 4 spades.

1NT is not a bad choice, in my view. Opener may have some spades, they are probably not going to be taking 7 tricks in spades if opener passes, and it is a reasonable contract. My choice is similar - I double as a relay for opener to describe his hand, rebidding 1NT with 12-14 balanced, or rebidding long clubs.

#48 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-19, 05:50

Zelandakh, on 2016-February-17, 16:38, said:

The times I post rubbish, it gets trashed too.

You post rubbish? I missed that one - what was it?

#49 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-19, 06:33

rhm, on 2016-February-19, 03:11, said:

1-(1)-?

Not that it is particularly relevant but the corrolary to the method I played as a junior (1 - (1) - X showing diamonds) is that 1NT after this 1 overcall also showed diamonds without any thought at all towards a spade stopper. Not a popular way of playing perhaps but it does at least provide a solution to this type of hand.

fromageGB, on 2016-February-19, 05:50, said:

You post rubbish? I missed that one - what was it?

Sadly all too frequently. I am sure if I looked back to the bridge posts I made 10 years ago I would be mortally embarassed...but luckily the really old ones are no longer available. B-)
(-: Zel :-)

#50 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-19, 18:05

Stolen bid doubles FTW.

#51 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-February-23, 23:28

PhilKing, on 2016-February-19, 18:05, said:

Stolen bid doubles FTW.

LOL yeah it's pretty good here.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users