• Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-October-25, 04:58

You can try the hand here: http://bridgegod.com....php?probid=541

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-27, 07:26

I xfer to first and then bid my 2nd suit.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-27, 08:03

View PostMrAce, on 2015-October-27, 07:26, said:

I xfer to first and then bid my 2nd suit.

When partner shows 3 will you start cuebidding?

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-27, 08:09

View PostFluffy, on 2015-October-27, 08:03, said:

I did, is 4 instead of 3 a minimum with 3 hearts ?

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2015-October-27, 08:11

No, partner doesn't reevaluate 15-17, he just shows support. I think 4 should show double fit, but I am not sure.

After 3I believe its a good place to play 3NT as balanced slam try and 3/4 as short, but that agreement wasn't in place when this hand came up.

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-27, 13:05

My partner can super accept with 3 or 4 hearts and cue bid over 3 should we get to that point. If I get none of the above I'm playing game.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-October-27, 18:23

View PostFluffy, on 2015-October-27, 08:03, said:

When pd bids 3 of course I will bid 3. Over this pd can bid 4 which I will bid bid 4. If he bids 4 I will still bid 4.

Previously I showed +. Game force but not necessarily a slam auction, it could be looking for the correct game. Then I cued spades to show my interest in slam. I am not going to slam all by myself with 30-31 hcp and only 5-3 fit. With the methods available to me, this is best I can do. I believe I showed a good hand and invitation to slam.

If pd bids 3 NT, I will pass.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-27, 18:26

Having played through the hand, it's a bit of a crap shoot in that a very minorly different hand for partner (exchanging a J and a small card from one suit to another) radically changes how good the slam is.

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-October-27, 18:36

I just checked the hand. It misses me why pd failed to bid 3 NT over 3. Haven't we debated long enough about the cuebids below 3 NT and what they mean and what not?

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2015-October-28, 11:01

Don't follow your logic. What do you think 3NT is suposed to show?, A hand rich in controls is not what I would expect.

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-October-28, 14:13

View PostFluffy, on 2015-October-28, 11:01, said:

Don't follow your logic. What do you think 3NT is suposed to show?, A hand rich in controls is not what I would expect.

Ok, I see now you replied earlier that 3 did not promise a good hand already. So I can be convinced that what I suggested may not be the best approach.

#12 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2015-October-28, 14:17

Interesting sequence for me.

1. Transfer...3 for me is suspect. Might just be 5332 and avoiding the idiotic transfer...4NT quantitative alternative.

2. Because of the above, I like and use Fluffy's idea of a bid for balanced, sort of. When 5332 makes it even more likely, we need that.

3. To save spacve, I kick up shortness bids to one-under and two-under. Thus, in this sequence, after 3, Responder bids 4-1=4 with the high shortness () or 4-2=4 with the low shortness.

4. This scheme allows cuebidding to also be used, but in a strange way, perhaps. In the situation of 3 agreeing hearts, 3 is a spade cue, 3NT is a general spade denial cue; carry on from there. Had spades been agreed (1NT-2, 2-3, 3-?), then the -1 and -2 shortness bids are 4/4. The cues are 3NT/4. 4 is a club cue. 3NT, strangely perhaps, is a club denial cue, but this strange meaning is self-executing and semi-logical because 3NT "gets below" 4.

This, therefore, gives some of both worlds -- the shortness and the cue options as two distinct routes.

With the actual hand, therefore, I would rebid 3. A lot of discussion to get to the same point, perhaps, but it could have been a different hand. With the same hand but pointed suits switched, 3NT.

"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#13 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-October-29, 02:12

I'd certainly start cueing with a 3 bid.

In the structured cueing approach, I normally play, the 3 bid would be a 1st round control. Opener could then continuing cueing by bidding 3 NT which is a waiting bid that denies a 1st round control. Responder would cue 4 showing the 1st round control. Opener could then bid 5 , a sweep cue bid. It shows in turn the A, a high honor, K, K, and denies the K. Responder then bids 5 denying a 2nd. Both partners know there is a loser. Opener can infer that responder probably doesn't have both missing high honors else he might have bid 6 even with a loser and sits for 5 . It just happens this hand fits this methodology well.

I know most of the BBO forum posters will cue any control not necessarily 1sts first. But I'm wondering if some of the techniques wouldn't be useful anyhow.

Say opener didn't have a control, would it be useful to use 3 NT as a waiting bid to let responder show a 1st or 2nd in ?

Also, with the actual hand, what would a 4 cue by opener show? Would it similarly show controls (1st or 2nds) in all the suits? If so, then RKCB by responder would give a really clear picture of what opener held and where the hand should be placed.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users