Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Legal or Not

#1 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-October-07, 09:37

Can a partnership vary the meaning of bids based on which partner makes the call?
For example, say a pro and client. If the client bids something in a certain auction it is a transfer, if the pro bids makes the same call, it is natural. I can't find anything which addresses this directly. But is such a system allowed?
I make videos about bridge. Check it out!

Right Syde Clyde

#2 User is offline   jfnrl 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2015-October-07, 10:08

According to Law 40B2(a) last sentence, it is a matter of regulation.
"It may vary the general requirement that the meaning of a call or play shall not alter by reference to the member of the partnership by whom it is made (such a regulation must not restrict style and judgement, only method)."
It is forbidden in France :
"Article 135 - Obligations - Interdictions
1- Les deux joueurs d’une même paire doivent utiliser le même système et les mêmes conventions d’enchères et de jeu de la carte."
Google translation : "Article 135 - Obligations - Prohibitions
1- The two players of the same pair must use the same system and the same auction conventions and card play"

#3 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-October-07, 10:25

Thank you. What criteria might a regulating authority use on such a matter?
I make videos about bridge. Check it out!

Right Syde Clyde

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-October-07, 10:32

Whatever they like, I suppose.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-07, 11:26

similarly, the ACBL. From the Alert Procedures (in the context of "two-system methods"):

As an aside, please note that it is not legal to vary your system during a session for subjective reasons, such as the skill level of the opponents which you happen to be playing at the time or which member of the partnership is making the call. You may, of course, alter your defenses in response to the opponents’ methods.

and similar, but not the same, in the EBU. From the Blue Book:

5 A 2 The members of a partnership must have the same bidding understandings and play the same
system of leads, signals and discards.

(However, 5 A 6 specifically allows playing different systems against different opponents, in any competition)

Most who do this do it explicitly to ban the "Client club" systems - systems designed to minimize the hands played by the (significantly?) weaker declarer.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-October-09, 09:38

In NABC midnight games, where half the room is expected to be drunk, the TDs don't generally enforce any system regulations, and we get lots of "creative" systems played by juniors. It used to be fairly common for expert juniors to play with cute caddies, and they played the "Caddy System", where all the caddy's bids were transfers because they had practically no idea how to play. This system seems to have faded out since BridgeMates came into regular use, so we have far fewer caddies (and the ones we have are mostly older).

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-09, 10:02

Sometimes "progress" goes in the wrong direction. :D
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-09, 10:57

Way off topic.
And I ran a Crazy Bridge game last week (and went 4+3 playing 9 rounds of trump with my 5-3 fit, among other things1) playing (when the rule on the hand made it make sense, of course) the other "standard system" in midnights, "Phantom Club". It was a lot of fun (and in a game where nobody cared and it didn't matter, I think we'd do it again), but equally illegal in the ACBL (although, oddly enough, mostly for "cuebid Drury by unpasssed hand").

Spoiler

1 The rule on that hand was "Bid and play the first 6 tricks normally. Record the tricks taken, and put those 6 tricks away. Play trick 7. Discard that trick and the rest of your hand, pick up the first 6 tricks and play them again as 8-13."
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users