BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1078 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#11841 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2019-January-12, 09:11

hrothgar, on 2019-January-12, 06:11, said:

Well worth reading as followup to the previous link

https://www.lawfareb...atest-bombshell

Good article. Thanks.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#11842 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2019-January-12, 09:43

I read this article, too, and it enlightened me to a number of issues of which I was ignorant. As to the original Times article, I keep coming back to the same question: why now? Obviously, from the sourcing quoted this information has been closely held for 1 1/2 years - yet someone(s) decided now was the time to leak it. Why?

I am wondering if the leak was OKed by Mueller as a way to prepare goundwork for information that may well read like a novel. Knowing the difficulty of getting the report out with Whitacker and Barr and a Republican Senate, it might make sense if he had decided to leak selected material that would make it near impossible to hide the substance of the final report. I also think the response from the WH is especially revealing as no direct refutation has been made, only the president repeating his ridiculous noise about this liar and that Democrat.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#11843 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2019-January-12, 11:12

C_LL_S__N.

I'll buy a vowel.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#11844 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-January-12, 13:46

Winstonm, on 2019-January-12, 11:12, said:

C_LL_S__N.

I'll buy a vowel.

LOL

This is what happens when you get your information for sources like CNN:

CNN requests KUSI for local view on the border, declines our reporter after finding out wall works

Granted, Jim Acosta is starting to report the truth.
Don't think it was intentionally though :)
Don't argue with a fool. He has a rested brain
Before internet age you had a suspicion there are lots of "not-so-smart" people on the planet. Now you even know their names.

#11845 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-January-12, 14:11

andrei, on 2019-January-12, 13:46, said:

LOL

CNN requests KUSI for local view on the border, declines our reporter after finding out wall works

And this is what happens when Andrei gets his info from the Drudge Report

https://rewire.news/...ght-wing-media/
Alderaan delenda est

#11846 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-12, 17:08

hrothgar, on 2019-January-12, 14:11, said:

LOL, is this for real?

Here is CNNs statament:
“We called several local stations to book someone for a show. We didn’t end up booking any of them. That happens many times every single day. We did, however, book a reporter from KUSI for a story on immigration and the border wall in November. This is a non story”

So they called KUSI
KUSI told the wall works
They did not book KUSI
Before internet age you had a suspicion there are lots of "not-so-smart" people on the planet. Now you even know their names.

#11847 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2019-January-12, 17:46

Talking to supporters of Individual-1 is like talking to an ADD juvenile who is off his Adderal.

#11848 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-12, 18:33

hrothgar, on 2019-January-12, 14:11, said:

I will give Andrei the benefit of the doubt when I say that Andrei doesn't have the motivation to think for himself when ultra right fringe media has already told him what to say.

Do border walls work? If you ignore the fact that ladders let people climb over them, saws and drills let people go through them, shovels let people go under them, they work great. Of course, they don't stop people who enter the country illegally in ships, trucks, cars, planes, or those who enter legally with a visa and then overstay.

#11849 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-12, 18:46

johnu, on 2019-January-12, 01:57, said:

Another first for the Manchurian President

FBI Probed Whether Trump Was Working For Russia After Comey Firing: Report

The first time a sitting POTUS has been the subject of a counter terrorism investigation by the FBI. I'm sure the White House brought out a yuuge bottle of 100% Russian vodka to celebrate. Das Vedanya Comrade Dennison.

The Manchurian President communicates in private with his Russian handlers.

Trump has concealed details of his face-to-face encounters with Putin from senior officials in administration

Apparently Dennison doesn't trust his own staff and cabinet to know if he is committing treason in plain sight.

#11850 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-12, 18:55

andrei, on 2019-January-12, 13:46, said:

LOL

The most absurd part of this? "Finding out". I.e., if a conservative TV stations claims something, it's a FACT. If CNN reports, its FAKE NEWS.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#11851 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-12, 21:32

Thanks; this was well written.
OK
bed

#11852 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-12, 23:06

johnu, on 2019-January-12, 18:46, said:

The Manchurian President communicates in private with his Russian handlers.

Trump has concealed details of his face-to-face encounters with Putin from senior officials in administration

Apparently Dennison doesn't trust his own staff and cabinet to know if he is committing treason in plain sight.

Trump Blasts Times’ FBI Investigation Article As ‘Most Insulting Ever’

This is probably not in the top 100 most insulting articles about Dennison.

When Pirro asked Trump “are you now or have you ever worked for Russia,” Trump didn’t directly answer the question, but said: “I think it’s the most insulting thing I’ve ever been asked.”

Hmmm, even Dennison couldn't fake enough outrage to issue a "Fake News" comment.

He insisted to Pirro that he’s not hiding anything, and indicated he would be willing to share details of the talks.

Probably after he voluntarily releases his tax returns.

#11853 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2019-January-13, 11:04

Play ignore-a-mole instead of whack-a-mole. Better yet, don't go into the game room at all.

Over the next nine months, the Democratic Party’s campaign committees and individual candidates began paying less attention to the president, even as he continued to demand the media spotlight and dominate the national political conversation. And when they did talk about Trump, those candidates were advised to actively try and de-emphasize him. The president was not a uniquely dangerous figure, the new framing went. Instead, he was something duller but equally fearsome: a Republican incumbent.

“We treat him so differently but that doesn’t lead to success,” said Matt Canter, a pollster for Global Strategy Group, the firm that conducted the survey on African-American millennials. “It does what he wants. When you treat him differently, it makes him different.”

#11854 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2019-January-13, 11:34

Here is a description of the biggest threat concerning the Russia probe and why Barr should not be AG:

When senators get to grill William Barr next week, they shouldn’t waste much time on whether President Donald Trump’s nominee for attorney general would fire special counsel Robert Mueller. The key question should be something different: Under what circumstances would Barr advise the president to pardon the targets of Mueller’s investigation?

Here’s why: The most significant single act of Barr’s career in the Department of Justice was to advise President George H.W. Bush to pardon six officials from Ronald Reagan’s administration, including Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger, for crimes associated with the Iran-Contra affair. At the time, Barr was — you guessed it — attorney general. His recommendation gave Bush the cover he needed to issue the pardons.

#11855 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-13, 17:03

johnu, on 2019-January-10, 16:11, said:

One of Dennison's early supporters and a possible source for Dennison's obsession with a wall

Stunning Steve King builds wall in Congress

Steve King asks how terms 'white nationalist' and 'white supremacist' became offensive

Good to know. I was a worried that Austrian nazis would immigrate to the US and join the Democratic party.

How has this brilliancy not become the catchphrase of Dennison?

Fake outrage coming up?

House GOP Leader: ‘Action Will Be Taken’ On Steve King Over White Supremacist Remark

Call me cynical, but I don't expect more than a slap on the wrist. Stunning Steve has been saying these racist things for years with no reprimands from Replicans in Congress.

“Some in our party wonder why Republicans are constantly accused of racism — it is because of our silence when things like this are said,” (Republican Senator Tim) Scott wrote in The Washington Post.

Scott later shied away from calling King a racist on Fox News and said King should not resign.

The irony of Senator Scott's two-faced comments are apparently lost on him.

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), who picked King to co-chair his 2016 presidential campaign, denounced the lawmaker’s comments as “stupid” during an interview Sunday on NBC’s “Meet The Press.”

:lol: Cruz picked King to co-chair his presidential campaign to get the support of the very large white supremacist wing of the Republican party.

Asked if he would rule out supporting King in the future, Cruz deflected.

By deflected, the author means Cruz will probably support King first thing the next morning. I'm shocked about the fake outrage from Cruz.

#11856 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-13, 21:32

johnu, on 2019-January-12, 18:33, said:

Do border walls work? If you ignore the fact that ladders let people climb over them, saws and drills let people go through them, shovels let people go under them, they work great

Big Tom Cruise fan, I see.

johnu, on 2019-January-12, 18:33, said:

Of course, they don't stop people who enter the country illegally in ships, trucks, cars, planes, or those who enter legally with a visa and then overstay.

I was always wondered why do we have speed limits on roads since it does not stop people under influence getting behind the wheel.

#11857 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-14, 01:27

andrei, on 2019-January-13, 21:32, said:

Big Tom Cruise fan, I see.

Obviously you are a yuuge Dennison fanboy :rolleyes:

andrei, on 2019-January-13, 21:32, said:

I was always wondered why do we have speed limits on roads since it does not stop people under influence getting behind the wheel.

I'm sure people like you do a lot of wondering :rolleyes:

#11858 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-14, 10:10

johnu, on 2019-January-13, 17:03, said:

The irony of Senator Scott's two-faced comments are apparently lost on him.

King's racist views are well known. No doubt they reflect the racist views of many of his Iowa constituents. But calling him a racist is not percentage for black senators from South Carolina of which there have been exactly one, from all southern states, since southern states passed disfranchising constitutions excluding African Americans from the political system between 1890 and 1908. In context, Scott deserves credit for calling King out on his remarks and increasing pressure on other Republicans to do likewise.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#11859 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-14, 10:13

From Peter Baker at NYT:

So it has come to this: The president of the United States was asked over the weekend whether he is a Russian agent. And he refused to directly answer.

The question, which came from a friendly interviewer, not one of the “fake media” journalists he disparages, was “the most insulting thing I’ve ever been asked,” he declared. But it is a question that has hung over his presidency now for two years.

If the now 23-day government shutdown standoff between Mr. Trump and Congress has seemed ugly, it may eventually seem tame by comparison with what is to come. The border wall fight is just the preliminary skirmish in this new era of divided government. The real battle has yet to begin.

With Democrats now in charge of the House, the special counsel believed to be wrapping up his investigation, news media outlets competing for scoops and the first articles of impeachment already filed, Mr. Trump faces the prospect of an all-out political war for survival that may make the still-unresolved partial government shutdown pale by comparison.

More.

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#11860 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-14, 10:42

johnu, on 2019-January-14, 01:27, said:

Obviously you are a yuuge Dennison fanboy :rolleyes:

I'm sure people like you do a lot of wondering :rolleyes:

Yeap, one can tell you are not doing enough wondering.

• 1078 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

33 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 32 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google,
  2. johnu