• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-June-04, 06:27

Matchpoints 2s is weak 2

you play leb

thanks

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-04, 06:33

I chick out in 3. I think PhilKing plays 2NT as natural in this position but I play it as scramling. 3NT could work but ....
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-June-04, 07:59

Even if you generally play lebensohl, 2NT is this sequence it must be a scramble.

Either way it can't hurt to bid 2NT.

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-04, 08:10

this is tricky

1) i'm scared about missing game in hearts. x qxxxx qjxx axx for example is a very boring hand where 4h is good. if partner only has 4, i think it'll normally be too much work to do.
2) i don't want to defend their 9 card fit at the 2 level though i expect it to go off. if we bid lho will sometimes bid 3s and now we can extract a penalty.

maybe there's no way to sensibly get to 4h on the right hands and i should just scramble to a minor and hope they return to the fray. on the other hand, scrambling might get us to a 7 card minor fit instead of an 8 card heart fit.

given there's nothing ideal, i'd go for the money shot and bid 3s. that way partner can bid 4h with 5. we end up a level higher when he doesn't, but there's a good chance we can make that anyway. i won't be raising 4m to 5.

#5 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-04, 08:15

Yep, natural 2NT for me (3 is also fine).

When there has been no raise and a protective double, our average spade length is just under four and our average point count is about 12 or so. Call me crazy, but it seems daft not to have a bid that reflects that.

I think partner rates to have a doubleton spade more often than not, so we can often shut out the spades. If partner is 1444 I should bid 3, but if he has short spades and a reasonable five card suit, he can pull 2NT to his suit.

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-04, 09:20

My partnership doesn't open as light as most so I'm tempted to bid 2nt followed by 3nt, expressing doubt so that partner can remove with the shapely thing.

Maybe that should be reserved for imps with a quiet 3 at mp's.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-04, 12:25

View PostPhilKing, on 2015-June-04, 08:15, said:

What determines when 2N is nat vs when it's Lebensohl?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#8 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-04, 13:14

View PostJinksy, on 2015-June-04, 12:25, said:

What determines when 2N is nat vs when it's Lebensohl?

2any-pass-pass-dbl
pass-?

Regardless of whether the doubler is a passed hand.

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-04, 13:35

View PostPhilKing, on 2015-June-04, 13:14, said:

2any-pass-pass-dbl
pass-?

Regardless of whether the doubler is a passed hand.

So in response to a dbl in pass out seat vs weak 2.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-05, 00:30

View PostPhilKing, on 2015-June-04, 08:15, said:

When there has been no raise and a protective double, our average spade length is just under four and our average point count is about 12 or so. Call me crazy, but it seems daft not to have a bid that reflects that.

I think partner rates to have a doubleton spade more often than not, so we can often shut out the spades. If partner is 1444 I should bid 3, but if he has short spades and a reasonable five card suit, he can pull 2NT to his suit.

No disrespect intended, but using 2NT as a final contract suggestion in a spot where the board is known to be a part-score contest and partner has announced a weakish shapely hand with shortness in the opponents' suit actually does sound pretty crazy!

This is a situation where having a bid which 'shows your hand' should take a backseat to having a bid which 'gets you to the right contract'. Aiming to accurately bid 12 HCP hands with spade length and strength, but not too much spade length and strength, that can make exactly 2NT but no other 3 level part-score is simply aiming at too small a target.

Using 2NT as an artificial scramble helps you get to the best 3-level part-score most of the time and affords a sensible call on otherwise impossible hands [xxxx AKx Qxx Kxx???]. It also has lots of incidental benefits like allowing partner to balance more aggressively on off-shape hands and being able to differentiate between a invitational 3H (bid 3H directly) or a non-invitational 3H (scramble there via 2NT).

However I'm sure you've heard these arguments before... :)

#11 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-05, 14:47

2nt next pls , keep learning eagles

#12 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-June-05, 15:50

View Postzillahandp, on 2015-June-05, 14:47, said:

getting boring now dude
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#13 User is offline   jodepp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-05, 15:56

Is opener likely to open '3rd seat trash'? Is responder the type to raise a third-seat weak-2 liberally? If either applies, I might just convert the double for penalty. (Law be damned.)

I don't expect much agreement from the masses on this one, but what the he&^#%, it's only matchpoints :)

#14 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-June-05, 17:26

View Posteagles123, on 2015-June-04, 06:27, said:

Matchpoints 2s is weak 2

you play leb

IMO 2N = 10, 3 = 9, 3 = 7, 3N = 6. Game is unlikely opposite a passed partner, so 2N = Scramble (or PhilKing's suggestion) makes more sense than Lebensohl.

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-05, 17:28

View Postzillahandp, on 2015-June-05, 14:47, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#16 User is offline   marcindz 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-June-05, 21:25

I would ask myself what I want to achieve. Seems likely that 3NT is makeable easily if S holds any points in spades.

My guess is straight 3NT selling no spade stopper, forcing my p to show his spade by passing or go on 4 level and then i will pass being happy with what i got.

If I was looking for partscore 3 clubs.

#17 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-06, 00:53

Matchpoints and playing leb. I think I would have doubled myself. I am a point short of being able to bid 2N, I think I need 15-18 for that. After my double partner can bid a suit which I pass or use leb. Worst case scenario is an immediate 3, which I convert to 3N or 3N which I pass.

Once I have passed can partner place me with a 14 count? 2N seems like the right next move, but it would be nice if we had an agreement as to what it meant! Natural, Scramble or Leb

#18 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-06, 01:59

I don't have 2N nat available here (2 places to play rather than leb) and partner won't have an unbalanced 11 or a lot of unbalanced 10s so bidding game is shooting for a very small target.

Playing leb as per the OP, I need to know how aggressively partner opens, but I suspect 3 is the right bid.

#19 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-06, 09:41

View PostWesleyC, on 2015-June-05, 00:30, said:

No disrespect intended, but using 2NT as a final contract suggestion in a spot where the board is known to be a part-score contest and partner has announced a weakish shapely hand with shortness in the opponents' suit actually does sound pretty crazy!

When you're a passed hand you can pull it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users