BBO Discussion Forums: ye olde 3NT lead problem - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ye olde 3NT lead problem

Poll: ye olde 3NT lead problem (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Your lead at IMPs?

1. Spade (6 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

2. Heart (4 votes [12.12%])

Percentage of vote: 12.12%

3. Diamond (23 votes [69.70%])

Percentage of vote: 69.70%

4. Club (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Your lead at matchpoints?

1. Spade (11 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Heart (6 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

3. Diamond (16 votes [48.48%])

Percentage of vote: 48.48%

4. Club (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-11, 07:20

As a rule I keep my specifications simple and do not worry about the odd hand.
What I have learned from experience and experimentation is that worrying about rare exceptions are not worth it, because the final result is not affected in a significant way.
As a rule dealing out more hands does more to the precision of the result.

View PostPhantomSac, on 2014-June-11, 03:54, said:

As usual with these double dummy simulations, do any of you discount the hands that partner will double 3N with? Definitely some of the hands that a spade binks partner will X 3N or possibly have doubled 3N. Likewise, Rainer has the 3N bidder as "not necessarily balanced." That's great but I do not remember the last time a good player bid 1N 3N with a small singleton in a major, let alone with a void. Maybe in the old days, but nowadays most people play something at least like transferring to a minor and bidding 3M as short, or 1N 3M short, etc. Those hands should be excluded. Finally, in the real world partner will often fail to find a killing diamond shift if he gets in. I realize double dummy analysis cannot do anything about this but there is something to be said for leading your good 5 card suit making the defense easier.

But really not excluding partner having a double of 3N, and not excluding 1N 3N bids that have a stiff major are pretty inexcusable when doing analysis like this, and even failing to do that shows that the diamond lead will more likely beat it.

May I ask:

How often do you hear the bidding go

1NT Pass 3NT AP

When did you last hear the bidding go

1NT Pass 3NT DBL

The first sequence I usually hear several times per session
I can not remember when I last had the second sequence. Definitely not in the last ten tournaments I played in. I am not claiming that it does never occur though.
I also can not remember when I last transferred into a minor and then showed a singleton in a major over 1NT, even though I play that way over 1NT.
You are severely overestimating the statistical impact those hands will have on the overall result whether you exclude them or not.

Rainer Herrmann

#42 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-June-11, 12:53

I haven't seen

1NT pass 3NT dbl

in like 20 years (no kidding). I have however doubled 3NT for the lead frequently in occasions like this:

1x pass 1NT pass
2y pass 3NT pass
pass dbl

#43 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-11, 13:30

View Postrhm, on 2014-June-11, 07:20, said:

May I ask:

How often do you hear the bidding go

1NT Pass 3NT AP

When did you last hear the bidding go

1NT Pass 3NT DBL

The first sequence I usually hear several times per session
I can not remember when I last had the second sequence. Definitely not in the last ten tournaments I played in. I am not claiming that it does never occur though.
You are severely overestimating the statistical impact those hands will have on the overall result whether you exclude them or not.

Rainer Herrmann

I was definitely wrong about this since we have the ten of spades, it makes it almost impossible partner will have a double, and also since we have 6 HCP. That said I have actually seen this auction twice in my last ten tournaments, once by my partner and once by my opp, both world class players. I will admit it has almost no relevance when we have this particular hand and I was wrong, sorry. That said, I think your analysis of "it rarely goes 1N p 3N X and it often goes 1N P 3N AP" is faulty, it is also rare we are beating them on a spade lead (or any lead) on 1N P 3N, we must consider the hands where a spade lead will beat it, and how many of those partner would have doubled. If partner is doubling .5 % of the time overall, but on all of those he wants a spade lead and a spade lead beats it, that would elminate 5 of the 125 hands where a spade lead is right according to your simulation which is something. That said given that we have the ST and 6 HCP it is unlikely that is the case so I withdraw that argument.

I also can not remember when I last transferred into a minor and then showed a singleton in a major over 1NT, even though I play that way over 1NT.

This however I am just going to say shows that you are consistently not bidding well, or at least bidding abnormally, assuming you are implying you don't use that bid rather than that it never comes up. I do not know the last time I saw a good player bid 1N 3N with a singleton in a major at imps. Why play methods where you can show every hand that has a singleton in a major if you are going to not show it? It strikes me as completely gambling for little gain to not show it, any hand with a stiff in a major could obviously belong in 5m or 4M and people who claim they don't want to "give away the lead" are just masterminding in my opinion, if the opponents have a long and strong major between them they are very likely to lead it on 1N 3N anyways, and if they don't have length/strength there you're going to get to 3N anyways since partner will bid it.

Even if you do not show your singletons ever I do not think that is a majority action and I think it is likely to be statistically relevant that you chose to include those hands. As far as I can tell you allowed 5-5 in the minors, 6/7 card minors and short majors, and (13)(54) hand types. Those hand types combined do come up every single tournament that I play, they are not some irrelevant thing. And of course including them will favor leading spades over diamonds.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#44 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-12, 01:46

You misunderstood.
If I have a game force over partner's 1NT holding consisting of a long minor and a singleton in a major and no 4 cards in the other majors, I will of course describe my hand if opponents let me do so and keep quiet.
Unfortunately I can not remember when I last could transfer into a minor and show a singleton in a major and this again was the point I was making.
Holding this hand-type is rare over 1NT, though useful when it comes up.
Whether you exclude this from your simulation will not materially affect the result.

Rainer Herrmann

#45 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-12, 03:28

View PostStevenG, on 2014-June-11, 05:57, said:

How do you translate your result into an MP score? Isn't your score almost entirely dependent on what happens at other tables?

If I were using this method, I would get Jack to play the hands. This would be somewhat time consuming, but would produce decent non-DD comparisons.

#46 User is offline   lesh 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-June-14, 10:46

When I started playing bridge I was taught always to lead your strongest and longest suit in such action. There are a few exceptions when I havent go an entry but as a principle I stick to it.

Based on that I am leading both in IMPS and MPs. :)

I know that's a very basic understanding but at least I am doing the same over and over again and dont have to waste time and energy pinpointing the right lead. :)

#47 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-14, 21:06

View Postlesh, on 2014-June-14, 10:46, said:

When I started playing bridge I was taught always to lead your strongest and longest suit in such action. There are a few exceptions when I havent go an entry but as a principle I stick to it.

Based on that I am leading both in IMPS and MPs. :)

I know that's a very basic understanding but at least I am doing the same over and over again and dont have to waste time and energy pinpointing the right lead. :)

As strongly as I feel about a diamond being right at imps, I feel equally so about a diamond being wrong at MP. If you don't want to use your time and energy thinking about the right action then why play bridge? I admit I would lead a heart not a spade at MP and maybe that's wrong but a diamond clearly frequently blows a trick that you are not going to recover (as you have little hope for an entry). That's death at MP.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#48 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-June-15, 02:47

Come on, it's not "death" :) It's an "all-or-nothing" type of lead.

#49 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2014-June-15, 04:30

View Postbeatrix45, on 2014-June-11, 05:13, said:

I have given some thought as to how long a proper analysis of this problem might take assuming I were already set up to do this particular problem. It looks like 8-10 hours minimum, if I were very lucky.

1. (1hr) Generating 200-500 hands using the Pavlicek generator. Example: RHO has 15-17 HCP, no singleton and no 6+ card major suit. LHO has 10-15 HCP, no 5 card major and no singleton or void. Partner gets what is left.

2. (2hr) Remove any hands not fitting the actual bidding. A few of these will be removed because RHO would not have opened 1NT, but most will be hands where LHO might have used Stayman or at least not have passed. In a few cases partner might have a double. This should only take a few seconds per hand in most cases, but we have a lot of hands to examine.

3. (4hr) Analyze the remaining hands for their play. I would expect to have 50 to 100 hands left to analyze. Most will take only a minute or so, but a few will be difficult. This is particularly true when declarer or partner or your hand has a choice to make in the play. You cannot assume double dummy play. In the end, for a few hands you may decide to assign probabilities to the various possible outcomes. You probably should go back and use a computer playing program to vet your results.

4. (2hr) Translate your results into IMP or MP scores and summarize.

Simulations can be a wonderful tool, but if you don't do them correctly, they are worse than useless. IF YOU INTRODUCE SAMPLE BIAS OR FAIL TO ANALYZE CORRECTLY, YOU GET THE WRONG ANSWER, FOOL.

I agree completely with PhantomSac's comments about simulations.
However, your analysis of the analysis of the problem is way out.

1 hour to generate 200-500 hands? Really? Your example constraints are obviously wrong (e.g. they include all 2227s which would not be considered mainstream, most people raise to game with any decent 9-count at imps, they exclude LHO having, say, a 4234 which would stayman) but assuming you write some vaguely sensible constraints it takes about 15 minutes, at most, to set this up generate the hands using any sensible program. Or I guess you are including this process in step 2.

I do this type of analysis fairly frequently - I don't like large DD sims but I do like to look at 50-100 possible hands and see what would happen. It takes me about an hour to generate and assess 100 hands. You don't have to come up with a result that says 'this lead is 0.1 imp better than that lead', you just have to say 'a major is better / a diamond is better / it's impossible to tell'. There's no shame in having many hands which are impossible to tell. The last simulation I did (on a choice in the bidding) came to conclusion that 'you can't tell what is right'.

#50 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2014-June-15, 09:43

I don't view this question as one of diamonds/hearts but one of passive/aggressive. At imps, the object is to defeat the contract if possible, and the best chance is to find the diamonds situated in our interest.

The question at mps gets much more complicated, as other defenders' leads and other contracts at other tables all factor in. However, at mps I think the best stance to take is that one is defending the standard contract unless it is obvious one is not doing so. With that as the default position, it then becomes a question of passive versus aggressive leading. In a strong auction, it seems less right to give up a soft trick (diamond lead) than to go really passive (spade lead) in hopes of not blowing any tricks. If declarer has to find his 9, 10, or 11 tricks by himself, it is fairly well assured that one will score no worse than average (provided the contract is normal) and will likely score above average when declarer plays less than double-dummy.

When it seems likely that the opponents are in a power auction that leads to what rates to be a decent and normal contract, the best defenders can do most of the time is not help declarer, meaning a passive lead. The times an attacking lead are called for are usually spelled out clearly, more likely to occur in suit contracts than against NT contracts.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users