BBO Discussion Forums: Takeoutdouble over a preempt Part 2 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Takeoutdouble over a preempt Part 2

#1 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-April-25, 22:09

First off all thx for the comments about answers to my question. This happened in my Chiang Mai bridgeclub and the opponents were not very strong players. We were vulnerable against not vulnerable and one of them opened 3. I made a takeoutdouble with K109 K64 AQ83 Q32 hoping to find a 5card suit with my partner. I agree that Im maybe too weak and my p also said afterwards that I shud at least have 17+ but since opponents are weak playes I took the risk. Next opp passed and my p bid 4 which I took as pick a major. His hand was AQ6543 A53 Void 10954. I bid 4 and he bid 4 which I took as a Quebid assuming we had a fit in . Overly optimistic I asked for Keycards and he answered 5NT which shows 2 keycards and a void. Since it was matchpoints I took a gamble bidding 6NT hoping for a lead. The result was one down. I thougt my partner shud bid a direct 4 with his hand but he said he was strong enough for a slamtry after my takeoutdouble. All comments about this are welcome.

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-25, 22:37

UdcaDenny, on 2014-April-25, 22:09, said:

First off all thx for the comments about answers to my question. This happened in my Chiang Mai bridgeclub and the opponents were not very strong players. We were vulnerable against not vulnerable and one of them opened 3. I made a takeoutdouble with K109 K64 AQ83 Q32 hoping to find a 5card suit with my partner. I agree that Im maybe too weak and my p also said afterwards that I shud at least have 17+ but since opponents are weak playes I took the risk. Next opp passed and my p bid 4 which I took as pick a major. His hand was AQ6543 A53 Void 10954. I bid 4 and he bid 4 which I took as a Quebid assuming we had a fit in . Overly optimistic I asked for Keycards and he answered 5NT which shows 2 keycards and a void. Since it was matchpoints I took a gamble bidding 6NT hoping for a lead. The result was one down. I thougt my partner shud bid a direct 4 with his hand but he said he was strong enough for a slamtry after my takeoutdouble. All comments about this are welcome.

oh dear....
1) your double is woefully bad. they're trying to play in your best suit. why do you want partner to bid on a hand that's too bad to bid if you pass? it doesn't show 17+ though so your partner is clueless. 14 would be easily enough if you had a sensible shape. you don't.

2) cueing 4d should show 2 places to play. partner's 4s over 4h should show spades and clubs. normally this is exactly 4 spades (with 5 he could insist on spades rather than risking playing a level higher in clubs)

3) considering how bad your double was, you shouldn't be bidding keycard, even if partner has made a cue for hearts.

4) yes your partner was strong enough for a slam try, but his sequence didn't show one.

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-26, 03:16

Agree with Wank that 4 followed by 4 shouldn't show a slam try.

Maybe 4 followed by 5 shows a slam try with a diamond control while a direct 5 shows a slam try without a diamond control?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-April-26, 07:40

Dbl is a bit off shape, but I wouldn't make a slam try across. It's too much of a guess and if I were to guess, I'd guess 6 straight away LOL

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users