• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5DX

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-April-21, 10:51

lead is 4 clubs, if you play low in dummy N plays the Q.

Spoiler

plan the play

Thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2014-April-21, 19:20

Spoiler

Probably a better line out there.
Become yourself.

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-April-22, 02:48

I'm not seeing north doubling without KQ, so take in dummy and run the heart jack. Then pull trumps and ruff a spade to get to dummy and cash the heart.

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-22, 03:15

I like the above line by whereagles. 4 lead must be a singleton. It does not make sense to me to lead a club in this auction from Jxx or Jxxx. RHO is probably false carding. RHO has either 5314 or 6214 imo

EDIT: Declarer must play carefully though, if he takes the first in hand and goes to dummy with ruff, he has to play a heart before diamonds, in case RHO has 3 hearts. Perhaps we can come up with a better line, but this line seems very natural at the table when we have a limited time to play.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-April-22, 03:39

Guest heaven!
LOL as for now i can see 9 guests + me +Rainer are reading this topic!!

We got a LOT of guests in this thread!Posted Image
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-22, 05:06

View PostMrAce, on 2014-April-22, 03:15, said:

I like the above line by whereagles. 4 lead must be a singleton. It does not make sense to me to lead a club in this auction from Jxx or Jxxx. RHO is probably false carding. RHO has either 5314 or 6214 imo

If that is true, why not back your judgement and simply win in hand and play A followed by the Q?
As long as RHO has at least one heart honor, the club loser will eventually disappear on the 4th heart. RHO can not have 5 spades, 4 clubs, the K and 4 hearts.
Why take the diamond finesse and compromise the entries to dummy?
There are also some options in the club suit.
For example if LHO wins the K and returns the third diamond, you can win in dummy and play a club to the ten, since you now have the entries to establish the clubs and discard your heart losers.

Rainer Herrmann

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-April-22, 06:30

View Postrhm, on 2014-April-22, 05:06, said:

If that is true, why not back your judgement and simply win in hand and play A followed by the Q? 1
As long as RHO has at least one heart honor, the club loser will eventually disappear on the 4th heart. RHO can not have 5 spades, 4 clubs, the K and 4 hearts.
Why take the diamond finesse and compromise the entries to dummy?
There are also some options in the club suit.
For example if LHO wins the K and returns the third diamond, you can win in dummy and play a club to the ten, since you now have the entries to establish the clubs and discard your heart losers. 2

Rainer Herrmann

I said I like his line. Basically playing on hearts. I like taking club in hand, cashing A and ruffing last and playing a from dummy sending it, planning to put LHO in a tuff situation at trick 5 for lead.

Having said that I can try to answer your questions (the blue parts in the quote)

1-There are multiple reasons why I do not like playing A and another . But mostly because it simply just does not work. A good defender can simply refuse to take the 2nd in order to gain control of the trumps when in with a heart honor.(admittedly it is not as easy to see this at the table by a defender) How are you planning to make if this occurs? Assume LHO holds Jxxxxx Kxx Kxx x and RHO KQxxx Qxx x QJ9x

2-The line about playing towards my T was in my mind also (once you manipulate clubs to RHO it is obvious how to play the clubs if you choose this path) But when one chooses to endplay LHO at trick 4, after A and ruff he has to discard something from the dummy. In order to be consistent to play vs multiple shapes I would probably choose to discard club from dummy on spade A, rightly or wrongly I felt more comfy with this line tbh.

#8 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-22, 08:55

deleted

Rainer Herrmann

#9 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-April-22, 11:57

View PostMrAce, on 2014-April-22, 03:39, said:

Guest heaven!
LOL as for now i can see 9 guests + me +Rainer are reading this topic!!

We got a LOT of guests in this thread!Posted Image

This thread is featured in BBO News on BBO. Every day there is one forums discussion pushed in news automatically, based on number of views and replies in the past 24 hours.

#10 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-April-24, 10:03

full layout:

thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users