Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

take-out double

#1 User is offline   namreh47 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-January-27, 02:37

Green vs red you have K10xx AKx Jx K98x and your rho opens with 1H; you double, lho passes, partner bids 1S
and rho bids 2C. I bid 2S. Do you agree? My BBO partner doesn't and states that everybody should pass here.
The Official Encyclopedia of Bridge advises 2S as a "raise in competition".

#2 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-27, 04:26

Hi Namreh47, welcom to the forum!

I am not sure I would have doubled with your hand in the first place, you have a doubleton in an unbid suit.

Your 2 bid is ok in my opinion. With extra values you would have doubled again without four spades, and bid 2 with four spades. So even if your general style is to raise only with constructive values, this would be an exception.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   WGF_Flame 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-27, 05:56

The way I play it 2 shows extra even in competition.

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-27, 07:03

Hello nemreh and welcome to the BBO forums.

View Postnamreh47, on 2014-January-27, 02:37, said:

Green vs red you have K10xx AKx Jx K98x and your rho opens with 1H; you double,

Errr, no I don't. Holding a weak NT with length and strength in their suit it is usually a good idea to pass initially.

I bid 2S. Do you agree? My BBO partner doesn't and states that everybody should pass here.

This is a matter of agreement. The traditional way of playing is for a raise to show some extras. However, many expert pairs have this raise simply show 4 spades and little else. Without agreement I would assume the traditional meaning but both ways are perfectly playable and the competitive raise is probably better providing the rest of the structure is designed around it.

In short I do not agree with either of you. You because the raise shows some extras without agreement; and your partner because everybody should not pass. As a high-profile pair that would not pass, Meckwell (Meckstroth-Rodwell) usually raise very aggressively with 4 card support in auctions like this.
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-27, 12:59

Green vs red you have K10xx AKx Jx K98x and your rho opens with 1H; you double, lho passes, partner bids 1S
and rho bids 2C. I bid 2S. Do you agree? My BBO partner doesn't and states that everybody should pass here.
The Official Encyclopedia of Bridge advises 2S as a "raise in competition".

I strongly agree with the double of 1. Whether or not you should raise to 2 is trickier, its possible that partner has only 3 and a very bad hand. He knows you will have 4 spades about 90% percent of the time so if he has 4 and short clubs he should compete to 2 himself.

#6 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-28, 12:48

If the raise doesn't show extras, I would raise. If the raise does show extras, I would raise, apologize, and still raise in the future.
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#7 User is offline   jgillispie 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Women
    Food
    Balloons
    Birding
    Magic
    Math/Sciences

Posted 2014-January-28, 16:06

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-January-27, 04:26, said:

Hi Namreh47, welcom to the forum!

I am not sure I would have doubled with your hand in the first place, you have a doubleton in an unbid suit.

Your 2 bid is ok in my opinion. With extra values you would have doubled again without four spades, and bid 2 with four spades. So even if your general style is to raise only with constructive values, this would be an exception.

I have to agree. Double w/ 3 cards in their suit is only acceptable w/ a BIG hand (you know, those hands you wish you got more often)...

As for bidding 2S... I'm not 100% sure. If this promises no extras, then it's marginal. I would pass myself, having said my hand already.
(No comment)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users