Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Data Rates multiple users Wireless modem capacity

#1 User is offline   vargaj 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-October-22, 12:28

We are planning to have a tournament this saturday in which we will have 18 participants. We have CLEAR wireless modem which supposedly has a max download rate of 6Mbps and a max upload rate of 1 Mbps. I am not asking about channel capacity, as I have the channel capacity problem solved. I AM ASKING if the overall data rate is sufficient for 18 users. My simple math says that upload 1Mbps/18 users = about 55Kbps. Is my math right? does a BBO user need more than 55Kbps? Does someone know the answer?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-October-23, 08:59

That's the speed of a dialup modem, and BBO works with them, so it should be fine. BBO's upstream requirements are not very high.

If you want to test, use a tool like Wireshark to capture port 3336. Then login to BBO and play in a tournament, and see how much traffic is sent on that port.

#3 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-October-23, 12:06

It might be best to stagger the initial log ins so that the initial spikes do not fight each other for bandwidth.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-October-24, 12:52

View Postpaulg, on 2013-October-23, 12:06, said:

It might be best to stagger the initial log ins so that the initial spikes do not fight each other for bandwidth.

If they're using the web version, there's not a huge initial spike like there is in the download version.

In general, the web version uses far less bandwidth than the download version. I wouldn't recommend trying to run this tourney with the old version.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users