BBO Discussion Forums: Question About Suction Over Strong Club - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Question About Suction Over Strong Club

#21 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-September-23, 16:04

Balrog49, on 2013-September-21, 17:05, said:

I've posed this question to the ACBL but would like to know what people here think, particularly Suction players.

In Suction, a bid in a suit at any level over a strong one club shows EITHER the next suit OR a 2-suiter in the next two higher suits. The overcaller NEVER has the suit he is bidding. Partner's (advancer's) first duty is to assume the Suction bidder has the one suiter and bid that suit, even with a void.

Obviously, advancer must alert the Suction bid and explain what it means in terms of distribution. But must he also explain that the bid is forcing if responder passes? Or is it responder's responsibility to ask whether or not it's forcing?

First of all, if someone plays suction like you described, they are not playing it well. Richard (Hrothgar) explained the best (only?) way to play this convention effectively.

2nd, there is no responsibility to explain forcing. Think of transfer bids over NT - you explain transfer, you don't need to explain that you must complete the transfer. Suction is similar. Also, you only explain what the bid shows, not what it requires from partner.
Chris Gibson

#22 User is offline   Balrog49 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Music, reading, history.

Posted 2013-September-23, 16:11

Vampyr and Mbodell,

With all due respect, my own experience conflicts with what you say, so I feel compelled to continue to ask the ACBL for their official stance on the question. Until they respond (which may be never) I'll take the word of the director as law.

Accordingly, I just posed the question to the world-class player who directs some of the games at a nearby club. He said the correct way to handle the problem is:

1. Call the director before asking anyone to leave the table.

2. Use one set of methods or the other.

So for the present, partner and I will comply with both answers. We'll use our runout structure for DONT (one-suited) doubles. Pass forces opener to redouble after which responder can pass or double the opponents with a good hand.

Thanks to everyone who responded!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users