BBO Discussion Forums: (1NT)- 10-13 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

(1NT)- 10-13 imps 0445

#1 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2013-September-13, 14:10

1NT is 10-12 Imps
Double is penalty and 2C is clubs and another suits.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#2 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2013-September-13, 14:36

If X is 14+, I think 2C might work out. I can back in later to show a great non-X hand.

If X is 12+, I think I better double.

I'm sure we can get a followup auction in either case, since that would be interesting too.

#3 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-13, 15:02

View PostDJNeill, on 2013-September-13, 14:36, said:

If X is 12+, I think I better ...

... find a new defense to mini-NT.

#4 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-September-13, 15:09

2. This is about to get competitive, I want to get my suits in.
Chris Gibson

#5 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2013-September-13, 17:52

2. Why wouldn't I want to use a bid that shows what I have? And, I want to start showing my suits before someone bids 4.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-14, 07:29

View PostTylerE, on 2013-September-13, 15:02, said:

... find a new defense to mini-NT.

Does anyone have a good one?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-14, 08:50

HELLO is fine, as it is against strong NT...but X should be a good hand.

#8 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-September-16, 08:03

I start with 2C. I intend to do something later when someone bids shovels.

#9 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2013-September-16, 20:00

I had

Txxx
KTxx
Qxx
9x

cashing a top club switching to H lead to down 1, switching to diamond wich is what happened lead to -180 while they were pushed in 4H and made it at the other table so it was -13 imps.

I would have double too but maybe 2C is wiser, you dont plan to pass 2Sx anyway so might as well bid clubs and pull a penalty double to 2nt to suggest only 5C and a bit of both reds.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#10 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2013-September-17, 00:27

:P Some years ago the Kamakazi NT was, for a time, fashionable in the USA. I first ran across it playing in a Sectional tournament against a well-known Midwestern pair named Meckstroth and Rodwell. Good enough for them, good enough for me. It was loads of fun to play. Marshall Miles came up with an excellent system to handle its nuttiness.

It could get a little hairy. I once kibitzed a Grand National Team qualifier in Jackson, Mississippi where minus 1280 was a push with two pretty good teams involved. My heartfelt advice as to how to defend against its craziness is to treat it with natural overcalls as if it were a one spade opener - except for the penalty double. You have to put such a cheeky bid in jeopardy.

Playing any system designed as a defense to stronger 1NT openers is, imo, a very bad idea versus the dreaded Kamakazi. Go for the throat. Sometimes you will win. Sometimes you will lose. On this hand, a natural 2 club overcall looks about right.

#11 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-September-17, 02:38

I definitely don't think it is nutty. I have played this as part of a Big C system. We were well ahead in terms of its success rate. Anyway, to answer the question, I bid 2C.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#12 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-17, 05:59

I think best defence against mini NT depends on vulnerability

#13 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-17, 13:01

If I'm gonna be able to make a t/o X later I would X now. If after they start bidding spades I can't make a t/o X then I guess I'm endplayed into bidding 2.
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#14 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2013-September-18, 15:37

:P For a time, Meckstroth and Rodwell played the Kamakazi against the best in the world. Nothing nutty about that. This showed that the old Culbertson idea of an opening bid being a king better than an average hand was not necessarily the way to go, even though an opener facing an opener usually produced a play for game.

Now that Meckwell and many others have adopted the strong club, you can see that certain of their one of a suit (other than one ) openers are less than a king better than an average hand. Others are not. Progress. They are getting some of the benefits of frequently occurring light opening bids without the risks inherent in opening one NT with an average strength balanced hand.

#15 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-September-18, 18:15

View Postjdeegan, on 2013-September-18, 15:37, said:

:P For a time, Meckstroth and Rodwell played the Kamakazi against the best in the world. Nothing nutty about that. This showed that the old Culbertson idea of an opening bid being a king better than an average hand was not necessarily the way to go, even though an opener facing an opener usually produced a play for game.

Now that Meckwell and many others have adopted the strong club, you can see that certain of their one of a suit (other than one ) openers are less than a king better than an average hand. Others are not. Progress. They are getting some of the benefits of frequently occurring light opening bids without the risks inherent in opening one NT with an average strength balanced hand.

They actually played a 10-13 NT in the context of a Big C system.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#16 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-September-19, 02:57

View Postjdeegan, on 2013-September-18, 15:37, said:

This showed that the old Culbertson idea of an opening bid being a king better than an average hand was not necessarily the way to go, even though an opener facing an opener usually produced a play for game.

YOu might also note that Culbertson did not promote the use of the Milton Work count, even though he provided conversions for it in later books. In the Culbertson method an ace was twice as good as a king. That meant that AJ+AJ or AQ+A were evaluated as standard opening bids. So it is not true to say that Culbertson rules for opening were always strong. From what I have read, Goren's openings were more conservative.

Incidentally, I agree with the main sentiment of your post, that opening weaker distributional hands is a good idea and weaker balanced hands can be problematic. That said, Rodwell has said that they gave up the Kamikaze NT because of the randomising effect rather than because they found it was a loser. That is, it did not work for them but was quite likely to be good for another pair. That is probably because they have an inherent plus against most opponents and producing results with a higher variance was more likely to hurt their chances of winning than aid them. For a pair in the pack, a randomising effect will usually produce a better chance of winning an event (as well as a better chance of being near the bottom).
(-: Zel :-)

#17 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2013-September-19, 04:54

View Postbenlessard, on 2013-September-13, 14:10, said:

1NT is 10-12 Imps
Double is penalty and 2C is clubs and another suits.

Pass is the only safe bid awaiting developments. If you bid 2 and p bids
you are in another fine mess...(!) :(
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#18 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-19, 11:47

If I bid 2 "clubs and another" and partner bids 2, he's saying "I heard you partner, I'm pretty certain your second suit isn't spades, but we still want to play in spades". I'd guess 7=2=2=2 or the like. I'd pass, and not try for the game I'd try for if he bid hearts; but we should be in good shape.

Of course, I'm assuming my partner and I use sane responses, and the same responses, after "clubs and another". Normally it's part of a system.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#19 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2013-September-19, 19:12

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-September-19, 02:57, said:

For a pair in the pack, a randomising effect will usually produce a better chance of winning an event (as well as a better chance of being near the bottom).

:P That was exactly my experience 20 years ago playing the dreaded Kamikazi. My regular partner at the time was not a strong player, and I was coming off a 17 year layoff from bridge. At first, we needed all the 'randomizing' we could get. Later, I shook off some of the rust, and my partner improved his game. We ended up with some pretty decent teammates on occasion, and they were at times quite vocal about the 'randomizing effect'.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users