• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Leads and Carding and ZT acbl

#41 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-August-10, 23:00

View Postbarmar, on 2013-August-10, 21:20, said:

Almost no one studies the opponents' CC in the ACBL in any event. Some people will take a quick scan of it at the beginning of a match in a team game, but practically never in short pair game rounds. Everyone just relies on the alert procedure.

I certainly study CCs, and in part this is to protect inexperienced partners. Just last week I dictated the obvious defense to Flannery (X=diamonds, 2H=takeout of hearts) on the spot upon seeing it on opponents convention card; I give it 60% odds that my partner had never heard of it and 95% that he had ever seen this convention at the table before. (It didn't come up, so he still hasn't seen it at the table.)

Should we ever see a strong club pair, partner will be learning Mathe in 30 seconds. We will not discuss it now, because it's very likely to be forgotten in the two or three years that will likely go by before it comes up.

#42 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-August-11, 05:57

He's been running a commercial bridge club for 10-15 years, a tournament director a little less, and a national TD about 5 years. I've known him since we were both players at the same club.

He did eventually get everyone calmed down, telling us to finish the round and he'd take their statement between rounds when we weren't so rushed.

#43 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2013-August-11, 11:15

When I made a skip bid in the Fast Pairs, I'd say, "please wait......but not too long :P".
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#44 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-August-12, 22:54

View PostPhil, on 2013-August-11, 11:15, said:

When I made a skip bid in the Fast Pairs, I'd say, "please wait......but not too long :P".

Maybe they should replace the Stop cards in the bidding boxes with "Slow Down" cards.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users