BBO Discussion Forums: Would you open? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Would you open?

Poll: Would you open? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Relative to a typical club game, my opening tendencies are:

1. Most aggressive quartile (5 votes [17.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

2. Next most aggressive quartile (13 votes [46.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.43%

3. Next most conservative quartile (9 votes [32.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.14%

4. Most conservative quartile (1 votes [3.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

I would open this hand...

1. Always (4 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. In this seat/vul, but not all (1 votes [3.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

3. Not in this seat/vul, but in some (16 votes [57.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

4. Never (7 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   bd71 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-08, 20:59

Matchpoints. Vanilla 2/1.

See poll...

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-July-08, 21:10

View Postbd71, on 2013-July-08, 20:59, said:

IMO
  • Playing 2/1: Pass = 10, 1 = 7.
  • Playing a natural system with 11-14 notrump: 1N = 10, 1 = 6,
  • Playing a natural system with strong notrump: 1 = 10, 1 = 6,

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-09, 00:44

In our 2/1 style, we open some really ugly hands which contain a 5-card major. But with a balanced hand which would open 1m, this doesn't quite meet the standard. Instead of rating them numerically, I rate Pass=yes, 1C=no.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-09, 03:35

I would open this and yes i would DBL 1 as well :P

I would consider both decisions to be close. I would not argue anyone who chosed otherwise, as i didn't argue in other topic when DBL of 1 was the subject,
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-09, 04:15

Pass = 10
1 (11-13 or 11-14 NT rebid) = 10
1NT (11-14) = 10
1 (Hackett-style) = 10
Anything that floats your boat = 10

This is just a matter of system - not marking. We have a somewhat indifferent 11-count, which I would not open. I would need two tens to turn this example into a 1 opening in second seat. I would say that anyone who routinely opens this hand 1 and describes their 1NT rebid as 12-14 has serious issues.

Are there circumstances where I would open it? Sure. Against a very weak pair at matchpoints I would award myself two imaginary tens.

#6 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-July-09, 07:50

A good discussion to have with partner pre-session: "Do we open most 11-counts?" / "Do we open flat 11-counts?"

I tend to like to open these, but that's a style thing. You have to adjust for this when you're GF-ing or making marginal decisions in invitational auctions. Sometimes we get to some bad games and are only accompanied by pairs that don't understand that it's MPs not IMPs. Sometimes we steal the hand and play undoubled with a combined ~16 HCP for a cold top.

"It's a style thing" only works if you actually incorporate the style into your decision-making after the opening bid. If you think that you'll make good decisions when opps are silent and that you'll make better decisions in competitive auctions than your opponents, it probably behooves you to open the bidding as frequently as possible.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#7 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-July-09, 07:53

View Postbd71, on 2013-July-08, 20:59, said:

See poll...

Playing 2/1 I would pass this in first / second and open in third / fourth.
I am no too far away from opening in 1st/2nd.
Alderaan delenda est

#8 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-July-09, 08:57

Damn, didn't see the 2/1 constraint and voted when playing Precision... :rolleyes: In 2/1 context I'm very conservative and I'd never open this hand.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-09, 09:05

I've never understood how you can play 2/1 and open hands like this where you so often need a hand worth at least 14 opposite to make game.

Many do but I have no idea how they survive. Do flat 13's proceed with caution? Do you get consistently bad defense? I'm really curious.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#10 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-July-09, 09:14

View Postggwhiz, on 2013-July-09, 09:05, said:

Do flat 13's proceed with caution? Do you get consistently bad defense? I'm really curious.

Sometimes 24 is enough to make 3N double dummy. Sometimes the defense blows a trick on opening lead. Sometimes the defense makes a hero play thinking it's more likely that declarer has 13 than 11. Sometimes opponents take a dive over your 4M. Sometimes...

And keep in mind that a lot of deals are partials as well, and there are a lot of ways to win by being in the auction first.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#11 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-July-09, 10:00

I've never understood how you can play 2/1 and open hands like this where you so often need a hand worth at least 14 opposite to make game.

Do flat 13's proceed with caution? Do you get consistently bad defense? I'm really curious.

This "modern paradox" was addressed by a Canadian reporter last year in the ACBL Bulletin article on the Canadian Nationals. Very few posters seem to be concerned about it when they force to game or invite game with the same values which were used to do so some 60 years ago.

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-July-09, 12:54

The relevance of 2/1 system and opening this hand or not escapes me. Can you please explain ? I mean... which response to 1 in 2/1 or which auction in 2/1 makes opening light more dangerous/undesired than the one in sayc or acol ?

Yeah i need about 13-14 hcps to make game when i hold 11 hcp, regardless of which system i play

Unless of course if you meant " if one is playing 2/1 system, his card play is weaker than those who doesn't.:P
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-09, 12:59

Either BBO posters all like to open on dreck, or nobody likes to admit to being a conservative opener.

#14 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-July-09, 13:06

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-July-09, 12:59, said:

Either BBO posters all like to open on dreck, or nobody likes to admit to being a conservative opener.

I don't see anything about this hand that justifies calling a passer (of whom I am one in a strong 1N context) as being a conservative opener! I'd see opening this hand with 1m as 'aggressive' and passing as middle of the road.

Having said that, I like weak 1N openings. It's clearly a non-awful 11-13/11-14 1N, and close to a 12-14 because it has 3 controls and no jacks and is 4432 not 4333. However, I wouldn't upgrade because the shortness is in spades, rather than a minor, and I have no 10's.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#15 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-09, 13:54

View PostMrAce, on 2013-July-09, 12:54, said:

which response to 1 in 2/1 or which auction in 2/1 makes opening light more dangerous

In this context 1 - 1 - 1nt - to a flat 13 count, now what? Not really 2/1 specific but on the forums I see the same flat (ish) 11 counts open 1 - p - to the same flat 13 counts with the same now what?
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#16 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-July-10, 03:44

The hand looks like an obvious pass given that the system is "Vanilla 2/1". Playing a 14-16 NT would make opening more appealing, as would many other system alterations. With reference to your poll question, it is possible to be in the most aggressive quartile for unbalanced hands and the most conservative quartile for balanced hands.

@Phil, you are abolsutely right, both about system and about posters. In general, BBF posters open significantly more aggressively than average.

@Timo, The reason why opening this hand in Vanilla 2/1 is less appealing is that the 1NT rebid becomes uncomfortably stretched. If the 1NT rebid range is 11-13, this is better. Similarly, playing Transfer Walsh gives a little more security. There is not really a great deal of difference from SAYC.
(-: Zel :-)

#17 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-10, 06:26

I need a bit more. I may open 1 (twalsh) if I had both majors, but otherwise a poor 11 does not qualify. You have to draw the line somewhere for partnership understanding and decision.

#18 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2013-July-10, 11:42

If my agreements stipulated that I opened many balanced 11s, I would open. I think this is a very good style to have NV esp at MP but also at imps even if your NT range is 15-17.

If I had no agreements about opening bid style which is hard to believe since that would never happen I would probably still open since that is how much I believe it is a winning action to do so, even if I am half a point lighter than partner will expect. I would then discuss it after this hand.

If I had agreed to sound openers or my partner was not comfortable/did not like this I would pass obv. I wouldn't open this hand vul unless specifically agreed that that is our style (and I think it's probably not a winning style to open this 2nd seat vul in 2/1 with 15-17 NT). But really the main thing is to agree on what kind of opening bid style you play and are comfortable/happy with, and that should be one of the first things you discuss (as well as overcalling style and preempting style).

#19 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2013-July-10, 14:16

I do not like to open these hands in 2nd seat. At least in a club game.

1. I am short in spades. Opening makes it easier for them to find spades, not harder.
2. I have no spots.
3. I expect most people to pass this hand, and I don't want to take an anti-field action at my first opportunity.
4. If you open this range, your 1m - 1M - 1N is essentially 11-14, which is too wide a range. Switch to a 14-16 NT, and I don;t mind as much, but there's that anti-field thing again.
5. If you open this range, you need to adjust your 2/1's a little upward. Not a huge deal, but it puts added pressure on your 1x - 1N responses.
6. I don't particularly want a diamond lead.

If I do open, 1 has a lot of appeal. I want the lead, I can rebid 1N over 1 and won't get hung, and I can pass a SF NT in comfort.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#20 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-July-10, 15:52

View PostPhil, on 2013-July-10, 14:16, said:

4. If you open this range, your 1m - 1M - 1N is essentially 11-14, which is too wide a range. Switch to a 14-16 NT, and I don;t mind as much, but there's that anti-field thing again.

Similarly, Having one's opening weak NT as 11-14 seems like too wide a range...even worse, IMO, because they haven't introduced the Diamond suit or offerred up the ability to play at 2M in the 4-4 fit ---more likely to be good things when opener has less than 15 HCP.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users