• Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-May-20, 13:26

IMPS

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-May-20, 13:33

Gruesome! With good defense I guess I pass. Anything could be horribly wrong though.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-20, 13:45

pass

#4 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-20, 14:03

Looks a lot better.

On this one I would double. Compared with the other hand:
- With a small singleton spade it's much more likely that we have a game-bonus to protect.
- It's more likely that partner will sit it instead of bidding my short minor.
- My short minor isn't that short anyway.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#5 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-May-20, 14:04

Aside:
Passers -- how much more do you need before you'd double? Just curious.

I pass, too, but I feel like any of HK, HQ, DK, DA, or SA would be enough that I'd give serious consideration to dbl. Am I way off?

[nonexpert trying to calibrate :)]
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#6 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-20, 14:06

Pass and hope to collect 4 tricks.
foobar on BBO

#7 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-20, 14:40

Fed up with passing - this time I double.

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-May-20, 20:49

View Postlesh, on 2013-May-20, 13:26, said:

IMPS
IMO Double = 10, Pass = 9, 5 = 6, 4N = 1. You'd probably prefer K to K.

#9 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-20, 21:26

Would never pass in a million years

#10 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2013-May-20, 21:27

View Postwyman, on 2013-May-20, 14:04, said:

Aside:
Passers -- how much more do you need before you'd double? Just curious.

I pass, too, but I feel like any of HK, HQ, DK, DA, or SA would be enough that I'd give serious consideration to dbl. Am I way off?

[nonexpert trying to calibrate :)]

You are far too conservative here if those cards would just give you serious consideration (well maybe not the HQ but an extra ace or K is a snappity snap X).

#11 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2013-May-20, 21:42

Do people expect partner to typically bid or pass with 5332? With most people I play with (ie not JOE GRUE) I would expect a pass with 5332 a large majority of the time, certainly with a trump trick.

#12 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-May-21, 00:54

View PostJLOGIC, on 2013-May-20, 21:42, said:

Do people expect partner to typically bid or pass with 5332? With most people I play with (ie not JOE GRUE) I would expect a pass with 5332 a large majority of the time, certainly with a trump trick.

I think a 5332 should normally pass. I'd need something like xx xxx KQJ10x xxx to bid, and I'm not even sure about that.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#13 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-21, 01:05

I did a quick sim and just looked at hands where I thought opening 4M was at least reasonable without DD analysis or anything. Preliminary results say 5C shouldn't be discounted so easily, it's not doing too bad so far. Double seems to have tremendous upside and downside (on one hand partner has a clear 5D bid and diamonds are 6-0 with KQ9xxx behind), will need to look at more hands, but currently it looks better than pass.

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-May-21, 01:16

View PostJLOGIC, on 2013-May-20, 21:42, said:

I would pass with 5m332, but consider bidding with 5332 as partner will always have hearts, but the minors are less clear.

#15 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-21, 01:23

There is no difference between hearts and the minors on this auction (unless you REALLY care about an extra 50 points), so you should treat them the same.

EDIT: That's not quite true - with 1462 we could X and bid 5D, which we can't do with 1264. But still, I don't think that is a frequent enough difference to justify changing your response with 5332.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#16 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2013-May-21, 01:27

View Postrogerclee, on 2013-May-21, 01:05, said:

I did a quick sim and just looked at hands where I thought opening 4M was at least reasonable without DD analysis or anything. Preliminary results say 5C shouldn't be discounted so easily, it's not doing too bad so far. Double seems to have tremendous upside and downside (on one hand partner has a clear 5D bid and diamonds are 6-0 with KQ9xxx behind), will need to look at more hands, but currently it looks better than pass.

Thanks, and yeah it would take a lot of hands to get any idea but if one of pass or X came out as clearly better over like 40 hands that might mean something. If it was pretty close that might mean that it's probably pretty close. Are there any hands where partner bid and RHO had a decision on whether to bid 5S or not?

#17 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2013-May-21, 01:30

View Postgnasher, on 2013-May-21, 00:54, said:

I think a 5332 should normally pass. I'd need something like xx xxx KQJ10x xxx to bid, and I'm not even sure about that.

I am with you on this fwiw. My point was basically that a 5D bid is not likely and if it does occur partner will have 6+ diamonds (if he has 5/4 he will bid 4N) so it might be ok. I think that partner passing the double is a big upside position for us and is pretty likely when we have this hand but clee thinks I'm overestimating that hence the sim.

#18 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-21, 01:38

View PostJLOGIC, on 2013-May-21, 01:27, said:

Thanks, and yeah it would take a lot of hands to get any idea but if one of pass or X came out as clearly better over like 40 hands that might mean something. If it was pretty close that might mean that it's probably pretty close. Are there any hands where partner bid and RHO had a decision on whether to bid 5S or not?

Yeah, I tried to be neutral and just look at them and be honest. I've looked at about 30 hands so far, sorry I didn't calculate actual IMP gains/losses. My friend Eugene Hung did some analysis into the problem and I will look at his hands later.

Things I learned:

1) It's wrong to pass, not that close.
2) 4SX is not a great auction for your side, for a not-so unexpected but unintuitive reason. Partner is usually just balanced, and given how weak our diamonds are, and how his diamonds are not good enough to bid, they have a double spade+diamond fit, or dummy's diamond values are all working.
3) Partner bids 5D surprisingly infrequently, way less than I thought, he usually either passes or has a 4N bid available. Seeing partner bid 4N is a huge winner for your side, usually they sell out to 5C/5H but nobody can really double, or they take the push. When partner bids diamonds it's pretty bad but not necessarily so, I saw 2 hands where it's pretty normal for them to take the push, saving you from the 5-2 fit when the 4S bidder is the one with diamond length.
4) 5C, which I thought was a really bad bid, is a serious contender, but it's going to take more analysis to decide if it's better than X, which I guess I can look at in more detail tomorrow. I spent most of my time analyzing pass vs X, when it's now obvious I should have been looking at X vs 5C.

Anyway, overall a learning experience for me.

#19 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2013-May-21, 01:41

View Postrogerclee, on 2013-May-21, 01:38, said:

2) 4SX is not a great auction for your side, for a not-so unexpected but unintuitive reason. Partner is usually just balanced, and given how weak our diamonds are, and how his diamonds are not good enough to bid, they have a double spade+diamond fit, or dummy's diamond values are all working.

This makes sense, even having Qx of diamonds would be much better. I still think Xing with this shape is usually right but be weary of xx diamonds I guess. I assume partner is also leading a diamond a fair amount.

Anyways I'm not gonna be the first guy bidding 5C and getting made fun of so glad you ruled out pass :P

#20 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-May-21, 02:11

View Postcherdano, on 2013-May-21, 01:23, said:

There is no difference between hearts and the minors on this auction (unless you REALLY care about an extra 50 points), so you should treat them the same.

The more hearts partner has, the more likely it is that we have a game-bonus to protect. Does that mean that holding four hearts should make him more inclined to act on a marginal hand, or does it make no difference?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users