BBO Discussion Forums: How would you play 4SX? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How would you play 4SX?

#1 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2013-February-07, 08:00

I played this hand a couple of days ago, and the rust is showing: if I stop playing for a while my (bridge) brain goes to mush.

You (North) hold:

A Q 4 2
A K 9 8 5 3
K 4

Partner holds:

J 9 7 5
A 8 7
Q J 9 5 3

East dealt, and the bidding was:

East - South - West - North
Pass - Pass - Pass - 1
1 - Dbl. - 2 - 3
Pass - 4 - Dbl. - Pass
Pass - Pass

Opening lead: 4

(Trumps split 4 - 1; if you win the A (West playing the 9) and lead a club, West wins the A and returns the 3; when you play diamonds, East follows with the J, Q.)

How do you play 4X?
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

#2 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-07, 15:43

I would be more worried about trumps splitting 50 but I will deal with the
stated 41 break (while not specified it is almost assuredly with west - a
passed hand holding 1 heart honor and the club A needs a lot of spades
for a penalty x) and LOP.

exit with the spade Q. It matters not which opp wins the trick but lets assume it
is west. <<<If both opps duck the spade Q merely play the A and start playing good
diamonds the opps can never win more than 2 spades (to go along with club A)>>>.

if they return a spade u win in hand and play another spade to the A (opp has 1 trump
left) and play dia until west decides to ruff and the dummy is good with club K as entry.

if they return a dia win and pitch a club and keep playing dia (pitching clubs until west
ruffs--note that all your clubs are now good) if w returns a clubwin in hand spade to the
A and a spade back to your hand draw the last trumps and you claim with good clubs.

if they return a heart ruff in dummy cash the spade A and the club K now play dia until
west ruffs win the trump heart or club return in hand pull the last trump and claim.

In the unlikely event East is the one with the long trumps using this LOP gives you a
fair chance of making 5 (though east will probably have to make a mistake).

#3 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2013-February-07, 15:57

View Postgszes, on 2013-February-07, 15:43, said:

. . . the dummy is good with club K as entry.

I just want to be sure we're on the same page: North is declarer (and has the K); South is dummy.

You say to exit with the Q; how are you coming to hand to do that? Or are you finessing the Q?
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

#4 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-07, 19:38

View PostS2000magic, on 2013-February-07, 15:57, said:

I just want to be sure we're on the same page: North is declarer (and has the K); South is dummy.

You say to exit with the Q; how are you coming to hand to do that? Or are you finessing the Q?

He's followed your stated line of leading a club up, ruffing the heart and cashing the top diamonds, getting the good news. Now the Q ...

That looks like ten tricks to me. It's not my line, but you have basically told us how the cards lie.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users