• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-January-21, 10:10

http://www.latimes.c...0,2727285.story

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-21, 13:51

Gun Appreciation Day: the day they should learn to appreciate how dangerous guns can be.

#3 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-21, 15:14

Back in the 70s there was Human Kindness day, which also produced some irony. I recall it vaguely, but an Internet search produced the following:
http://articles.wash...ton-monument-dc

Do you remember Human Kindness Day? I remember very clearly my father driving us in the car through D.C. when a cop came up to our car and said, "Roll up your windows and lock your doors. It's Human Kindness Day." Whenever I bring it up to others who lived here in the '70s, I get blank looks.

Yep, that's the way I remember it.

Maybe they could hold Gun Appreciation Day and Human Kindness Day at the same time and the same place. I will arrange to be elsewhere.
Ken

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-21, 19:00

View Postbarmar, on 2013-January-21, 13:51, said:

Gun Appreciation Day: the day they should learn to appreciate how dangerous guns can be.

Guns are not dangerous. People are dangerous.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-21, 19:13

Just goes to show what happens when Obama is plotting to take away the guns - everybody rushes to buy some, even those who have no idea how to handle one. The gun control zealots have blood on their hands!
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#6 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-21, 20:13

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-January-21, 19:00, said:

Sure they are...Just the same way:

1) Knives
2) Explosives
3) even Cars

are dangerous. Just because someone won't (usually) be hurt when used correctly, does not mean the items are not "dangerous". There is potentially danger around these objects (more so than most other objects). It doesn't mean we shouldn't use them, but we should be wary when using them. And just because these objects do not have agency, does not make them not dangerous.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-January-22, 00:11

Objects are dangerous only insofar as people use them dangerously. It is the people, not the objects, that are the problem. So the solution to the problem lies with the people, not the objects. Guns, knives, cars, 2-by-4s, bottles of bleach, prescription medications, non-prescription medications, magazines, books, buildings, construction equipment, hammers, nails, rocks, whatever it is, by itself it's not dangerous.

The current and soon to come anti-gun legislation is one of two things: a knee jerk reaction that won't fix anything, or a seizure of the moment by people with an agenda. Or both.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2013-January-22, 00:39

This argument is really ridiculous. Guns are designed to kill people. They are designed to make it easy to kill people. Cars are not designed to kill people, and it's not easy to kill someone using a car.

They may be legitimate arguments against gun control. This bullshit isn't.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#9 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2013-January-22, 00:45

P.S.: My views on gun control are fairly moderate compared to my political views overall. But the more I hear from gun advocates, the more I start to evolve into a gun control zealot.

#10 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-January-22, 04:49

Guns are not dangerous. Ammunition is dangerous.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2013-January-22, 07:10

I am rewatching some A-Team TV series these days, and after watching them it is so obvious that guns are not dangerous.

#12 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-22, 08:03

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-January-22, 00:11, said:

Objects are dangerous only insofar as people use them dangerously. It is the people, not the objects, that are the problem. So the solution to the problem lies with the people, not the objects. Guns, knives, cars, 2-by-4s, bottles of bleach, prescription medications, non-prescription medications, magazines, books, buildings, construction equipment, hammers, nails, rocks, whatever it is, by itself it's not dangerous.

The current and soon to come anti-gun legislation is one of two things: a knee jerk reaction that won't fix anything, or a seizure of the moment by people with an agenda. Or both.

Is there *any* thing that does not have agency in this universe that you would describe as "dangerous"? If not, then we are using the word completely differently (and I suspect that one of us uses it in a way most people will not due to political reasons).

Edit: trying to reframe a view of the world by simply changing what words mean (as opposed to agreed reality) does not make me feel that the pro-gun people have the nation's best interests in heart. Like cherdano, I'm not particularly "liberal" on gun control issues, but listening to what strongly pro-gun advocates say makes me worry I should be.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#13 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2013-January-22, 08:46

This thread reminds me of a story. And I mean that literally, I hadn't thought of this in 10 years or more.
At some point during high school (I guess we must have been around 16), a friend of mine got injured at this thumb by another friend using his father's air gun. Not serious injury. I wasn't there, but it happened something like this: friend A had the gun in his hand, aiming at something. Friend B, making a joke or something ("Don't shoot, don't shoot!") put his hand in front of the gun. Friend A pulled the trigger, not anticipating this movement.
At the time I thought "How irresponsible by each of my friends - you don't put your hand in the way of the gun shot, even if it's just an air gun, and you don't pull the trigger unless you can be sure that no one can be in the way." Now, of course, my thoughts would start with someone else - we fairly responsible as far as 16-year old guys go, but still, which moron of a father would let his son and friends play with his gun?? Wtf?

It would be nice to be able to think of gun owners as more responsible than these 16-year olds, but I am starting to have my doubts.

#14 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-January-22, 09:12

Here's a (potentially) interesting observation.

Traditionally, when I saw debates over gun ownership, there seemed to be a consensus that individuals wanted to carry guns in order to

1. Protect themselves against their fellow citizens
2. Hunt

Now-a-days, much of the (high profile) discussion seems to involved some presumed right that citizens have to protect themselves against the government.

This argument strikes me as

1. "Novel". I am pretty well read and I never heard any such arguments during my formative years
2. Reprehensible. Individual citizens don't get to use the threat of violence to opt out of those portions of the legal code that they dislike

I think that its possible to reach a reasonable accommodations surrounding self defense and hunting. However, I don't think its possible or desirable for a sovereign state to abandon its monopoly on violence.
Alderaan delenda est

#15 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-January-22, 09:30

Yes I really need my AK 47 and my 2000 shoots of ammunition just for hunting and as a part of selfdefence in the subway of New York...
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#16 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-January-22, 10:02

View Posthrothgar, on 2013-January-22, 09:12, said:

Here's a (potentially) interesting observation.

Traditionally, when I saw debates over gun ownership, there seemed to be a consensus that individuals wanted to carry guns in order to

1. Protect themselves against their fellow citizens
2. Hunt

Now-a-days, much of the (high profile) discussion seems to involved some presumed right that citizens have to protect themselves against the government.

This argument strikes me as

1. "Novel". I am pretty well read and I never heard any such arguments during my formative years
2. Reprehensible. Individual citizens don't get to use the threat of violence to opt out of those portions of the legal code that they dislike

I think that its possible to reach a reasonable accommodations surrounding self defense and hunting. However, I don't think its possible or desirable for a sovereign state to abandon its monopoly on violence.

The idea that citizens may need to protect themselves against the government has been widespread in two periods in this country's history: the late 18th Century, when the country was founded, and the last fifty to sixty years. In the latter period, the idea started small, but has grown and is still growing.

I had a friend who used to predict that the country would not last another twenty five years. He died about nine years ago.

Would you argue that Jefferson was wrong when he wrote the Declaration of Independence?
--------------------

#17 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-January-22, 10:15

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-January-22, 10:02, said:

The idea that citizens may need to protect themselves against the government has been widespread in two periods in this country's history: the late 18th Century, when the country was founded, and the last fifty to sixty years. In the latter period, the idea started small, but has grown and is still growing.

I had a friend who used to predict that the country would not last another twenty five years. He died about nine years ago.

Would you argue that Jefferson was wrong when he wrote the Declaration of Independence?

Traditionally, the classic examples of this line of thinking are

1. The Civil War
2. The Whiskey Rebellion

both of which would seem to have been long settled. (My high school history class spent quite a lot of time covering both of these topics)

As for Jefferson, I'm old enough to recall those heady days before 2008 when the second amendment wasn't viewed as an individual right.
I very much look forward to returning to such interpretations of the Constitution.
Alderaan delenda est

#18 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-22, 11:06

It helps to substitute the word "weapon" for the word "gun". I think it is obvious, even to the most rabid gun advocate, that not all weapons should be legally available to the general public. There is a gradient involved. How damaging does a weapon have to be, for banning it from ordinary citizens to be acceptable? I am pretty sure we don't want just anyone to own a nuclear bomb for example, or nerve gas bombs, etc. How about a fighter plane, should I be able to buy one if I am rich enough? An attack submarine? A tank? Rocket launcher, machine gun, etc ... ? Eventually there has to be a cut off between what we do and do not allow common citizens to own.

So Blackshoe, where exactly is the line? (I am not taunting you, just genuinely curious). Fully automatic, burst fire, semi automatic, caliber limit, magazine limit ... what is the upper limit weapon you are advocating for?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#19 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-22, 11:27

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-January-21, 19:00, said:

All other things being equal, a person with a gun is more dangerous than a person without one.

The incidents at the gun show were all accidents. Except for car accidents, there are few other ways for humans to cause such severe accidents.

#20 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-January-22, 11:53

View Postbarmar, on 2013-January-22, 11:27, said:

The incidents at the gun show were all accidents. Except for car accidents, there are few other ways for humans to cause such severe accidents.

Seems a little uncreative. Several more ways spring to my mind, e.g. accidental electrocution.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users