Does East have his bid?

#21 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-November-30, 13:41

jules101, on 2012-November-25, 20:49, said:

TWO QUESTIONS

Q1) Is East constrained from bidding 2 after East's hesitation?

Q2 How do you do rule?

Q1. Of course East is constrained because he has UI and Law 73C requires him to take no advantage.

Q2. No adjustment, of course.

The interesting question is not whether I adjust for 2, but whether I adjust if he passes. 2 is a pre-empt, and the UI that partner has near opening bid values suggests not pre-empting.

I poll, of course, and if enough people bid 2 then I adjust if he passes to whatever would happen if he bid 2.

An interesting example of "If it hesitates, shoot it." It is so easy to forget to ask what the UI shows.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#22 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-November-30, 13:47

Vampyr, on 2012-November-26, 00:32, said:

Honestly? You would be just as comfortable making the bid if somehow you knew partner was practically broke?

Considerably more so, of course. Pre-empts tend to fail when partner has points, tend to work when he hasn't.

Zelandakh, on 2012-November-26, 09:20, said:

If I did not overcall 2 on this hand I would be guilty of fielding partner's BIT. This seems to come under the heading of "if it hesitates, shoot it". There is no way that the BIT suggests bidding 2 imho.

Wahey! :)

aguahombre, on 2012-November-26, 11:35, said:

Poll what? We already know that Pass and 2S are L.A.'s --subject to style and aggressiveness, not methods and peer issues. Would the poll be asking a bunch of people whether one or the other is demonstrably suggested? If that is the case, I didn't know we called that polling, rather than consultation.

That's one h*** of a presumption. You may know what "sound" WJOs are, but I don't, and for me to assume that I know is against the whole principle of polling.

I ask people what they would call if they were playing "sound" WJOs. It is a useful poll.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#23 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-30, 14:24

bluejak, on 2012-November-30, 13:47, said:

Considerably more so, of course. Pre-empts tend to fail when partner has points, tend to work when he hasn't.

Yes, of course that is true. My thinking was a bit muddled because it seemed that the OP wanted to disallow the 2 bid.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

16 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users