BBO Discussion Forums: 1st, a poll - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1st, a poll ACBL

Poll: 1st, a poll (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call over 3H

1. 3S or 4S, but 3N is OK (6 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

2. 3N but 3S or 4S are OK (5 votes [11.36%])

Percentage of vote: 11.36%

3. Definitely 3S (12 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

4. Definitely 4S (13 votes [29.55%])

Percentage of vote: 29.55%

5. Definitely 3N (3 votes [6.82%])

Percentage of vote: 6.82%

6. Something else (explain) (5 votes [11.36%])

Percentage of vote: 11.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-November-02, 17:41

Matchpoints, opps are vul

AJ9 Jx AK7x QJ7x

1N - (x*) - 2** - (p)
2 - (p) - 3 - (p)
?

* = "meckwell" - either one minor or both majors
** = announced as a transfer.

FWIW, this pair does not play Smolen, so 3 could be a 5-4 (or was explained to me as such)

Thanks in advance
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-02, 18:19

You're missing the option I want to choose. "3 or 4 but 3NT is not ok"
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#3 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-02, 19:25

I think I've got to bid some number of spades to let partner know we have a fit. Although I voted for "definitely 4S" I don't think it's really important whether I bid 3S or 4S as long as I don't bid 3N.

#4 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2012-November-02, 20:00

View Postlalldonn, on 2012-November-02, 18:19, said:

I could have bifurcated this more sure. But as you shall see soon, it doesn't matter a whole lot how many spades you bid as long as you believe 3N is not on your radar screen.
Hi y'all!

#5 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-02, 21:15

3S is just normal

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-November-02, 23:19

Don't you want to know what we consider, in addition to what we actually choose?

#7 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-03, 00:42

Me too.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#8 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-November-03, 07:59

Me2.

The problem, of course, with this poll, is that with a trustworthy partner, 3 is forcing and stronger than 4, so I would choose that. With a less trustworthy partner, perhaps a client or pickup partner, I would bid 4 since partner might pass 3.

View Postbarmar, on 2012-November-02, 23:19, said:

Don't you want to know what we consider, in addition to what we actually choose?

I consider 3, I consider 4, I consider 4 but reject it because with a good partner I believe it agrees hearts, with a poor partner it merely confuses.

I don't consider pass or 3NT. I could imagine 3NT being the winning action, in fact, but that is true of so many hands where one bids 4M with a known fit and it is very difficult to pick out the ones that are suitable. Here 3NT cannot involve partner in the decision so would be a guess in the dark.

:ph34r:

Ok, we have the votes: now tell us that this hand passed and it was the correct thing to do - goodness, I am surprised. :) Who would have thought it, on a rulings forum? :P Reminds me of Clyde E Love's book on squeezes, where on one hand he says "Ha ha: hearts were 3-3 all along: fooled ya [sic]!" He then put a footnote that 3-3 breaks occur in real life about 36% of the time, in books on squeeze play less than 1% of the time.

I am always reminded of this when people post here or in RGB that claims should not be allowed or people should not claim because they cause so much trouble. Claims are challenged in real life well under 1% of the time, in rulings forums well over 95% of the time! :D
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#9 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2012-November-03, 09:23

A little background: The player that held this hand is a pro that recently moved back into the area and west is a weak client that he used to play with on a weekly basis 5-6 years ago.

As you might have surmised, there was something going on here. I was called to the table by NS after the 3 call. Apparently there was considerable table talk by the 2 bidder and it was obvious to everyone she didn't have spades. EW didn't deny the chit chat. I explained to East that he might be in the possession of UI, and should act accordingly. I told N to call me back after the hand if he thought there was a problem. As I was walking away, East bid 3N and it quietly went down 1.

Unsurprisingly, West held x Axxxxx xxxx xx.

When I came back I asked him why chose NT over spades, and his rationale was:

- Its matchpoints
- We don't play Smolen so she could be 5-4 (but I asked what 1N - 2 - 2 - 3 is? :blink: )
- With the r/w interference, either spades are breaking terribly or one of the minors is sitting over his holdings, so 3N is better protection against the bad splits.

I adjusted to 5x'd -4 (Hearts went 5-0 - LHO did have the majors). It seemed a very likely auction that this hand bids 4 and West cannot sit (NS actually make 4 but the timing is tricky).

He got a little belligerent with me as he tried to lawyer his way out of the mess. He even suggested that his partner bid a natural 4N over 4 (?!). I said that if that was the case that you would definitely land in 5 since 4N is RKC.

I just walked away instead of giving a ZT - I think the ruling was enough of a wake-up call and attitude adjustment for someone that has probably cajoled directors for a long time.

(Later I decided that he might bid 3, and I'd allow a 4 correction for only 500. It made one matchpoint difference :D ).
Hi y'all!

#10 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-03, 09:40

The only better outcome I can think of is if this bird took it to committee where the ruling would be for the guillotine.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#11 User is offline   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-November-03, 10:00

View PostPhil, on 2012-November-03, 09:23, said:

A little background: The player that held this hand is a pro that recently moved back into the area and west is a weak client that he used to play with on a weekly basis 5-6 years ago.

As you might have surmised, there was something going on here. I was called to the table by NS after the 3 call. Apparently there was considerable table talk by the 2 bidder and it was obvious to everyone she didn't have spades. EW didn't deny the chit chat. I explained to East that he might be in the possession of UI, and should act accordingly. I told N to call me back after the hand if he thought there was a problem. As I was walking away, East bid 3N and it quietly went down 1.

Unsurprisingly, West held x Axxxxx xxxx xx.

When I came back I asked him why chose NT over spades, and his rationale was:

- Its matchpoints
- We don't play Smolen so she could be 5-4 (but I asked what 1N - 2 - 2 - 3 is? :blink: )
- With the r/w interference, either spades are breaking terribly or one of the minors is sitting over his holdings, so 3N is better protection against the bad splits.

I adjusted to 5x'd -4 (Hearts went 5-0 - LHO did have the majors). It seemed a very likely auction that this hand bids 4 and West cannot sit (NS actually make 4 but the timing is tricky).

He got a little belligerent with me as he tried to lawyer his way out of the mess. He even suggested that his partner bid a natural 4N over 4 (?!). I said that if that was the case that you would definitely land in 5 since 4N is RKC.

I just walked away instead of giving a ZT - I think the ruling was enough of a wake-up call and attitude adjustment for someone that has probably cajoled directors for a long time.

(Later I decided that he might bid 3, and I'd allow a 4 correction for only 500. It made one matchpoint difference :D ).

1. ew have breached L73B1 and this warrants a PP of at least 1/2 board; because of aggravating factors I think it should be closer to 1 board

2. it is important to establish what AI existed [system to the auction] before contemplating an adjusted score

#12 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-03, 10:37

Just so I understand this correctly: The pro is the 1NT opener?

In that case, I don't agree with your ruling at all. I would adjust to 5X-4 and given a well deserved PP for flagrant use of UI, in a situation where the pro was even warned that he had UI!

And for the record: I would not adjust to 4. After all that is a cue for a spade slam and the 1NT opener will sign off in 4 (assuming they play mixed cues!) leading to 5X too.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#13 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-03, 11:07

Law 12C1E requires you to give the most unfavourable result that was at all probable to the non-offending side. Even if you think 4 a possible outcome, it is certainly not the most unfavourable result that was at all probable.

Despite some specious arguments, 3NT is a deliberate attempt to take advantage of the UI. Since it was deliberate it is important you give him a PP otherwise he will just do the same next time. The standard ACBL quarter-board sounds ok.

Depending on how he argued with you, it sounds offensive to me. If it was then a half-board penalty as a DP is required as well as the PP. If he does not like the ruling, he should appeal.

There seems to me to be an impression that in the ACBL pros do not have a high ethical standard, unlike the UK where pros generally are very ethical. TDs must fight against this.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#14 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2012-November-03, 12:23

The practical effect of 800 v 500 was one matchpoint. I could even concoct an absurd auction like:

3S - 4H*
5D** - 5H***
6S

* - Concentration of values
** - Cue
*** - Last Train promising a club control

This could be the most unfavorable result in principle.

The practical difference between 800 and 1100 is nothing. Between 800 and 500 its nil. 4 is the wrong ruling I agree.

As directors, we apply laws, not unlike judges. Yet, you see judges deviate from what the Law requires all the time - if only to make a point.

It doesn't seem like an unreasonable approach to not always apply the full extent of the law. Is this fair to the non-offenders? Probably not, but I bet that the majority of club directors would have looked at the matter and been intimidated by the gravitas of a professional player and thought, "he knows more about bridge than I do. Who am I to argue with his bridge judgement?" and allow the 3N call to stand.

A few more things:

- Our club / unit does not have an AC. All director calls are final.

- While he was belligerent he was rational as he pleaded his case. I'm telling you that this was a serious kick in his (psyche). Isn't this why a PP is handed out in the first place?

- There are some sleazy American pros. There are also extremely ethical ones. Must we generalize about such matters?
Hi y'all!

#15 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-November-03, 13:44

View Postbluejak, on 2012-November-03, 11:07, said:

There seems to me to be an impression that in the ACBL pros do not have a high ethical standard, unlike the UK where pros generally are very ethical. TDs must fight against this.

I think this is unfair. Part of the problem is that there are many levels of "pros." I would say club pros/the worst pros are often unethical because they are often not very good and need the extra edge. I would say the better pros/pros that are higher on the food chain are generally the most ethical players I play against.

#16 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-November-03, 14:02

View Postbluejak, on 2012-November-03, 11:07, said:

This appears a gross generalisation. Some players are very ethical. Some are notably sleazy. Some are in the middle. This is true of pros and amateurs in the UK as well as elsewhere.

[I am reminded of a hand against two UK pros, who no longer play with each other. One of them deliberately thought for ages before switching to a doubleton, just to make sure partner knew it wasn't a singleton. Partner, almost without thought, played him to have a singleton, letting the contract through. One of the two is very ethical. The other isn't.]

#17 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-November-03, 14:24

View PostPhil, on 2012-November-03, 09:23, said:

Apparently there was considerable table talk by the 2 bidder and it was obvious to everyone she didn't have spades. EW didn't deny the chit chat.

While you're penalizing East for taking advantage of UI, you should also penalize West for providing that UI. Regardless of how weak a player she might be, it certainly sounds like she's been around long enough to be expected to know better.

#18 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-03, 14:50

View PostPhil, on 2012-November-03, 12:23, said:

The practical effect of 800 v 500 was one matchpoint.

No. The practical effect of 800 v 500 is to teach the pro a lesson and to follow the Laws.

I don't see like an unreasonable approach to not always apply the full extent of the law. Is this fair to the non-offenders? Probably not, but I can tell that the majority of club directors would have looked at the matter and been intimidated by the gravitas of a professional player and thought, "he knows more about bridge than I do. Who am I to argue with his bridge judgement?" and allow the 3N call to stand.

This is awful. The majority of club TDs need to learn their job: they can poll, can't they?

When you play in a club you pay money: it appears that in the ACBL some of the money goes to the TD. If he does not rule properly in such situations he should give the money back.

It is quite obvious in this case that the pro has deliberately used UI. It is vital to not let him get away with it.

Our club / unit does not have an AC. All director calls are final.

So, I would have to pay a TD who is not prepared to rule against a pro and I cannot appeal?

There are some sleazy American pros. There are also extremely ethical ones. Must we generalize about such matters?

Feel free to disagree with me, but it is reasonable to say what I think. This is based on observations. Incidentally, generalisations are generalisations.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#19 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-03, 15:17

View Postbluejak, on 2012-November-03, 14:50, said:

Feel free to disagree with me, but it is reasonable to say what I think.

It is not reasonable to say what you think if what you think is offensive (and that is aside from it being untrue anyway). Replace "American pros" with any group you want (how about British tournament directors?) to see how it comes across.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#20 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-03, 15:44

View Postbluejak, on 2012-November-03, 14:50, said:

it is reasonable to say what I think.

The fact that a lot of people mistake the above opinion for a fact is one of the bigger problems in today's western society.

And with respect to this particular thought: IMHO it was quite unreasonable to even think what David said.

Rik

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users