BBO Discussion Forums: FINCH Cue Bid - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

FINCH Cue Bid Goodbye to Michael's/U2NT, (Gh(Qu)estem and CRO?

#1 User is offline   viaduct 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-October-29, 11:49

Finch Cue Bid (alertable) is used to show a hand with two 5-card suits with one bid, some partnerships do allow 4-5/5-4 when holding both majors.
It can be used when you are stronger, but generally it’s used as a weak, pre-emptive, 6-11 point bid, with both vulnerabilities being taken into account.

It replaces CRO (all types), Michael’s Cue Bid/Unusual 2NT, Ghestem and Questem.

Please click here for full details of the FINCH Cue Bid beautifully presented in Rich Text Format .rtf

or here for an Adobe .pdf version

or if you prefer click here for a Microsoft WORD .doc version

AND

for a COMPARISON chart click here for an Adobe .pdf spreadsheet

#2 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-29, 12:17

Interesting idea and well presented and described. Maybe you should have typed the details into your post as not everyone will be comfortable clicking on an attachment by an unknown poster. A full analysis with a comparison of specific gains and losses vs standard methods would be helpful as well.

A couple of comments:

I am reluctant to assign an artifical meaning to a natural weak 3, not just because of the risk of forgetting, but also because there is no alternative to passing with those hands. If you give up the cheapest WJO (1-2, 1-2 or 1-2) then not only is it lower ranking but you have the option of bidding 1 or 3 with the hand that can no longer bid 2.

If you slightly change the actions over 1 so that 3 is red suits, you can use it with strong hands and also transfer the declaration keeping the unknown hand hidden and putting opener on lead. But this would spoil the symmetry of the system.

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-October-30, 05:08

So it's a permutation of the Ghestem idea. The original Ghestem was designed such that you never bid one of the suits you show, a design principle which is probably antiquated given the demise of "split range" two-suiters and the increased rarity of auctions ending after a single preemptive bid. Indeed, the increased difficulty of defending against a 3 bid showing both minors is probably much more of an advantage than the very slim chance that your minor two-suiter happens to be an absolute monster and you accidentally get passed out in 3 is a disadvantage.

Nevertheless it suffers from the disadvantage of all Ghestem permutations that you don't have 3 available as a natural bid and as such I won't be playing it anytime soon (perhaps vulnerable if I ever get a partner willing to play something very different V than NV).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-30, 07:33

mgoetze, on 2012-October-30, 05:08, said:

.....the chance that your minor two-suiter happens to be an absolute monster and you accidentally get passed out in 3 is a disadvantage.

Nevertheless, it suffers from the disadvantage of all Ghestem permutations that you don't have 3 available as a natural bid ....

Another system is Bailey Cue-bids which always gets unbid into the picture and retains 3C as natural :

In general:
( 1A ) - 2NT = 2 lowest unbid ( always )

( 1A ) - 2A = Highest and ONE of the 2 lowest

-- Simple Advances are for "pass or correct".
-- Advancer "cues" to show a strong unbalanced hand.
-- Advancer bids 2NT! to show a strong balanced hand.
w/stop(s) in Opener's suit.
-- If Advancer bids the "known" suit ( usually Sp),
Overcaller bids his "unknown" suit to show a stronger hand.
-- If Advancer bids the "unknown" suit, Overcaller cues
OR bids 2NT to show agreement and the stronger hand.

An example:

( 1D ) - ??
................ 2NT = 2 lowest unbid, /
................ 2D = and or
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#5 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-30, 10:50

nigel_k, on 2012-October-29, 12:17, said:

I am reluctant to assign an artifical meaning to a natural weak 3, not just because of the risk of forgetting, but also because there is no alternative to passing with those hands. If you give up the cheapest WJO (1-2, 1-2 or 1-2) then not only is it lower ranking but you have the option of bidding 1 or 3 with the hand that can no longer bid 2.

If you slightly change the actions over 1 so that 3 is red suits, you can use it with strong hands and also transfer the declaration keeping the unknown hand hidden and putting opener on lead. But this would spoil the symmetry of the system.

Well, I never knew I played Questem!

This is an interesting idea. You can keep it symmetrical by using the cue, the next suit (cheapest WJO), and 2NT in a sort of just-2-suited-suction, so that
cue = next 2 up
next suit = next 2 up
2NT = the remaining 2 suits, ie the 2 surrounding the opener
This always puts opener on lead, and you can use it with a strong option if you wish.

But I don't like the thought of giving up a major WJO.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-30, 15:48

mgoetze, on 2012-October-30, 05:08, said:

Nevertheless it suffers from the disadvantage of all Ghestem permutations that you don't have 3 available as a natural bid and as such I won't be playing it anytime soon (perhaps vulnerable if I ever get a partner willing to play something very different V than NV).

Also being forced to 3 level over a simple 1 opening when we hold the boss suit and dominant minor , is awful imo.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-30, 17:32

finch is to bridge what chuck norris is to the world

#8 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-30, 20:39

Well thought out convention, but I personally find the price too high. 3 natural WJO over 1 can be absolutely murderous to bid against if responder has one but not both majors--I too thoroughly love "putting it to them" with the natural bid to sacrifice it to show a two-suiter. Ambiguous Michaels is good enough in a casual partnership, and Bailey is less costly to use than Finch (in each case giving up no natural WJO's), though not as efficient when a two-suiter is held. Ambiguity can cut both ways, and while the advantages of showing both suits right away are obvious, telegraphing 10 of your cards is more likely to hurt when they buy the contract anyway. Works rather better in those cases to let them know about five of your cards and let them guess what your second suit is, they may have a fair idea but they can't be sure and will sometimes really be on a guess. If it is really a partnership goal to show to show all two-suiters unambiguously, sacrificing the cheapest WJO seems less costly. After RHO's 1 opener, if 2 is used as a two-suiter bid, I can go low with 1 or go high with 3 with a string of hearts; with a string of clubs, the choice is 4 or pass if 3 is unavailable, as 2 needs some high cards to go with that suit. Non-jump overcalls at the two level on preemptive type hands are quite dangerous unless your whole style is geared toward it, for example the Overcall Structure.

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-31, 02:40

This looks like a poor implementation of Ghestem to me since it is less flexible for the reasons Michael already gave. There are definitely better ways of getting specific 2-suited overcalls over a 1m opening bid. An example of mine is:

Over 1
=====
2 = wjo in a major or + , strong
2 = wjo
2 = majors, weak (can reduce this to 54 if desired)
2 = + , weak (can reduce this to 54 if desired)
2NT = +
3 = majors, strong

Over 1
=====
2 = wjo in a major or + , strong
2 = majors, weak (can reduce this to 54 if desired)
2 = + , weak (can reduce this to 54 if desired)
2NT = +
3 = wjo
3 = majors, strong

After a 1M opening it is much more difficult. For example, after a 1 opening you have 3 weak hand types including spades so you either have to combine 2 of them (as per Michaels) or force to the 3 level. Regardless, it surely has to be better to play cue = oM + ; 2NT = minors; 3 = oM + than the way Finch is laid out.
(-: Zel :-)

#10 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-31, 05:15

Zel's idea seems good, but has one thing I am unfamiliar/unhappy with : the inability to directly show a WJO in a major. Many times partner is able to up the ante of a natural major WJO to the 3 level. Do you actually play this sort of "multi-2D" major WJO? How does it work out in practice?

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-31, 06:35

Not at the moment but I did with my previous partner. It worked out very well but mostly against poor opponents so I cannot really draw firm conclusions from that. Many of the same things can be said as over a multi 2 opening. Clearly being able to overcall 2 directly would be better; on the other hand the ability to show the second suit is arguably more important and the options for this are limited if you do not like to lose the wjo in the other minor. You should also not underestimate the extra pressure from the 2M 2-suited overcalls which are non-forcing and often difficult to penalise even when it is right to do so (no doubt expert opps would be more effective at that!).
(-: Zel :-)

#12 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2012-October-31, 10:53

The probability of being dealt two 5-card suits is considerably lower than being dealt a 6-card suit. So to chuck away the natural weak jump overcall into your 6-card suit in favour of a silly convention which is less likely to occur (or which can be covered by the Michaels/2NT combination), is losing bridge.

#13 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-November-04, 12:14

TWO4BRIDGE, on 2012-October-30, 07:33, said:

Another system is Bailey Cue-bids

Yes it is of course necessary to emphasize the name because there are surely thousands of other names to call this convention that must be eliminated. I'm sticking to calling it "Polish Michaels" though as it is what 90% of Poles and 10% of Germans assume you mean when you say that you play Michaels.

32519, on 2012-October-31, 10:53, said:

So to chuck away [...] in favour of a silly convention which is less likely to occur [...], is losing bridge.

Do you ever hold the conventions you invent yourself, or indeed write books about, to such standards? LOL.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#14 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-04, 16:09

mgoetze, on 2012-November-04, 12:14, said:

Yes it is of course necessary to emphasize the name because there are surely thousands of other names to call this convention that must be eliminated. I'm sticking to calling it "Polish Michaels" though as it is what 90% of Poles and 10% of Germans assume you mean when you say that you play Michaels.

You learn something every day. I looked up Bailey and thought it was Michaels. Then I looked up Michaels to discover I had been misplaying it for years :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users