Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nobel Prize goes to Al Roth!

#1 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-15, 20:05

I knew his game theory contributions would get wide recognition some day.

Roth, who is new at Stanford this fall after several years at Harvard Business School, is an expert at “market design,” or the creation of matching systems or other mechanisms in situations in which normal markets are, for whatever reason, impracticable. He is perhaps best known for designing the system that matches graduating American medical students with residency programs and the mechanism the New York public school system uses to pair students and schools, the latter of which he worked on alongside Atila Abdulkadiroglu and Tayfun Sonmez.

If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#2 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-16, 03:44

Lloyd Shapley also, at age 90. There's quite a bit of money comes with it, and he might have liked to have that money rather sooner. It is not suddenly now that we realise Shapley's contribution, it was obvious going back many years, and there have been several Nobel Prize citations going back quite some time where I have thought "and Shapley doesn't get a share of that?" Of course Roth and Shapley does make a nice pairing, but at the cost of giving it to Shapley very late.

James Mirrlees shared the Nobel Prize with William Vickrey in 1996. It required quite some stretch of the imagination to justify pairing them, and it is generally presumed that Vickrey was added in last minute because it was heard that he was dying, and he was on their virtual list of likely future winners. In practice he died a few days after the announcement and before he could collect, so the money went to his estate. Though I do know Mirrlees wouldn't begrudge the money, he was my tutor and was not very interested in accumulating money, he was much more interested in Being the Edgeworth Professor of Economics - he told me he'd be quite happy to do that for rather less than the stated salary, even though British professors are much worse paid than American ones.

We all know that Jean Tirole will be get the prize if he lives long enough. I don't know why we are waiting, the importance of his contribution was evident 20 years ago. Since he be run down by a bus, or get cancer, give it to him now. few are more deserving. He will of course share it with Jean-Jacques Laffont, except he won't because Laffont is dead. Unlike Shapley, Laffont died in his early 60s and didn't make it to 90 to be able to collect his well deserved prize. Doesn't this make it clear why they ought to give them out quicker?

John von Neumann made about three separate Nobel Prize worthy contributions to economics, in that he could justifiably have shared it with Arrow (1972), Debreu (1983) or Nash (1994). But JvN died in 1957, aged only 53. But he'd only have been a year older than Shapley if he'd shared it with Nash. Edit: Though of course the Nobel Prize of Economics didn't even exist in 1957.

The economics prize is occasionally given for really odd stuff. I think they could weed out the less obvious winners and give it to worthy winners before they die or get very old a bit more often. Doris Lessing, a literature winner a couple of years ago, said so quite publicly. What is the point, she asked, of giving it to her now, now she is nearly dead. I don't think she even felt she deserved it, rather she felt that there seemed to be more advantage to the Nobel Committee in associating themselves with her than the other way around.

#3 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-16, 12:38

Is it the same Al Roth - bridge book author ?
I can't find anything about bridge on his wikipedia page.

#4 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2012-October-16, 12:50

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-October-16, 12:38, said:

Is it the same Al Roth - bridge book author ?
I can't find anything about bridge on his wikipedia page.

Nope. See the wikipedia page for our Al Roth.

#5 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-16, 13:00

So what's the link between Nobel Prize and bridge ? Any ? :(

#6 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2012-October-16, 13:14

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-October-16, 13:00, said:

So what's the link between Nobel Prize and bridge ? Any ? :(

Not sure. Maybe GreenMan mistook one for the other. Or maybe he's just a fan of the economist.

It seems like wikipedia might have to swap the naming for the pages, giving precedence to the nobel prize winner now for the name-without-a-middle-initial privilege.

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-October-16, 14:22

He posted the same thing last night to rec.games.bridge. He hasn't replied to the corrections in either forum, so I don't know if he legitimately mistook them or meant them as a joke (bridge being a card game as a pun on "game theory").

#8 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-16, 15:26

The Iliad was not written by Homer but rather by someone else with the same name.
Ken

#9 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2012-October-16, 17:39

View Postkenberg, on 2012-October-16, 15:26, said:

The Iliad was not written by Homer but rather by someone else with the same name.

:lol:
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#10 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2012-October-16, 20:03

I knew it! I mean, how could a blind man write in Greek?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#11 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-October-17, 13:09

Simpson?

#12 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-17, 23:38

View Postbarmar, on 2012-October-16, 14:22, said:

He posted the same thing last night to rec.games.bridge. He hasn't replied to the corrections in either forum, so I don't know if he legitimately mistook them or meant them as a joke (bridge being a card game as a pun on "game theory").

This. Sorry I've been away and haven't replied. Not much of a joke, but ...
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#13 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2012-October-19, 14:07

View Postbarmar, on 2012-October-17, 13:09, said:

Simpson?

Doh!
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users