After LHO opens 1D Precision... How to support partner's overcall

#1 User is offline   squealydan 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:most sport
    being in the great outdoors
    the daily show / colbert

Posted 2012-September-10, 04:23

Against a natural suit opening, after [1]-1-p-? : I'd bid 2 with most decent hands with 3+ spades unless there was another suit to bid (new suit forcing for us). A jump to 3 would be pre-emptive.

After a Precision 1 opener which may contain as few as one diamond, it seems we may want to bid 2 as a natural bid.

In which case am I right in thinking that 2NT is the bid to use to show a decent raise? Or is a pre-emptive raise redundant here given LHO is limited to 15 HCP and RHO hasn't said anything, leaving 3 a natural invite?

I'd be interested to see other people's defensive structures after the 1D opener.

Thanks.

#2 User is offline   mattias 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-September-10, 06:00

If the opponents bid another suit, then -bids by us become natural. If not, we treat as an enemy suit, so we would bid 2 with a good raise.

#3 User is online   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-10, 06:39

Before we played transfer responses to overcalls (including 1NT when they open a short club or diamond, not everyone's taste), we ignored the fact that one diamond could be short and still used 2 as the constructive raise. Hands with diamonds had to respond one notrump or find another bid. We do use 2NT as a good 4-card raise.

The concept that you can improve this because the opener is limited and his partner has passed the overcall is a good one. However, for some of us, the memory load is probably not worth the benefit.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#4 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-10, 07:06

Treat it as natural. Yes, it COULD BE short, but it usually isn't, and I'm not convinced any other treatment has any real advantage. The 1 bid is not the greatest opening in the system, and, much like the 2 opening, you shouldn't feel any special obligation to bid.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users