Critical MP decision - IV

#1 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-July-26, 14:35

Note: 1 is not forcing. You play Walsh.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-July-26, 15:26

I pass, give the opponents a chance to bid. As weird as this is, if I were to bid I'd bid 1 to give partner a chance to rebid 1 of a major, which I'd pass.
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-July-26, 15:41

View Postkayin801, on 2012-July-26, 15:26, said:

I pass, give the opponents a chance to bid. As weird as this is, if I were to bid I'd bid 1 to give partner a chance to rebid 1 of a major, which I'd pass.

That doesn't seem at all weird to me.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-26, 16:02

1 and hope p doesn't bid 2nt

#5 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-26, 17:01

Even if partner bids 2N, that might be better than playing 1C when I have a stiff club. I just wouldn't pass with a stiff club, they will pass it out pretty frequently with club length when we are vul.

#6 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-July-26, 17:05

Strange. If yout style is to rebid a major after 1D even if balanced, 1D makes sense. Playing Walsh, tho, you only expect a major bid when partner has long clubs, which reduces the escape likelihood, but then the odds of partner having long clubs seem higher than normal. Head spinning. In the end, tho, I pass also. If the stiff were the club King, I might bid 1D.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#7 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-July-26, 17:08

Bidding 1D gives LHO more of a shot to bid which is good

#8 User is offline   Yu18772 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-26, 18:32

I would pass, its true that we might go down in 3-1 fit, but 1 X is not a possible contract.
I am worried that if I bid anything else, partner will get excited with a good hand, and we will be doubled in 2 (or worse 3) whatever after some competition.

Posted ImageYu
Yehudit Hasin

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

#9 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2012-July-27, 03:15

What would partner bid with an opening hand with clubs?

(I pass)

#10 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-July-27, 04:07

I would always bid 1D with this.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#11 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-27, 05:41

1 but its close

#12 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-July-27, 14:22

This was against a seeded pair.

The led was a 3rd best club and a spade was returned. I won, ruffed a club, hooked a heart, club ruff, A, club ruff, A for 7. When I saw the hand, -200 didn't look too bad. 1 - AP looks very likely and it gets cremated. -200 was a disappointing 18.

But I guess what was happening was that East balanced with 1N and may have played 2 or 3. In our section, 3N made twice (11 to NS) and went down three times (64-). The rest were NT partials which were a little under average. So it appears to me that all East's felt the need to balance with KTxx in LHO's suit with a min weak NT.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#13 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-27, 14:26

View PostPhil, on 2012-July-26, 14:35, said:

Note: 1 is not forcing. You play Walsh.

pass but 1s if nv...

#14 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-July-27, 14:42

They bid 1 and got raised to 2 at our table, allowed to play there undoubled. on a heart lead, I felt like I did well to raise with the A at trick 2 and fire back a trump into the AQJ to set it 1. I felt like I made a mistake by not getting in there with 1 on the west hand, we get to play a NT partial or double 2 potentially then.
Chris Gibson

#15 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-July-27, 14:48

View PostPhil, on 2012-July-27, 14:22, said:

This was against a seeded pair.

The led was a 3rd best club and a spade was returned. I won, ruffed a club, hooked a heart, club ruff, A, club ruff, A for 7. When I saw the hand, -200 didn't look too bad. 1 - AP looks very likely and it gets cremated. -200 was a disappointing 18.

But I guess what was happening was that East balanced with 1N and may have played 2 or 3. In our section, 3N made twice (11 to NS) and went down three times (64-). The rest were NT partials which were a little under average. So it appears to me that all East's felt the need to balance with KTxx in LHO's suit with a min weak NT.

This hand is interesting.

1) You likely got burned by east doubling 1D. Had they not doubled, you probably would have gone 1C 1D 1N 2D (or 2C forcing 2D). East might have doubled now, or might not have, but probably passing throughout is normal and you'd go for 100 for a good result.

2) Bidding 1N. It is my opinion that bidding 1N ever is wrong with a weak NT hand type. You might argue that it's fine white at MP with a weak NT hand type, but I typically play supp XXs and 1N shows 18-19 freely, There is not that much point of bidding 1N with a weak NT in this auction, but if you play it can be then you probably play it as a max with good stoppers so the south hand qualifies. If south had passed then west would probably bid 2N and probably play it there and you would have been ok.

3) Playing XYZ is pretty dumb when they have doubled 1N for penalty lol. You will frequently need to run to a natural 1N to 2C, and you will never need 2D showing a GF, and you have XX available.

4) Should east balance with 1N? I was east, and thought it was very close, usually I would pass but my new partner is much sounder with overcalls and off shape (4333 or whatever) takeout doubles than what I'm used to. My clubs were not that good that I expected 200 against 1C necessarily, and we might still have a game or partial in any suit. This tipped the balance to bidding 1N I thought.

5) My partner bid 3N rather than invite over 1N. This seems sensible, r/r at MP I will tend toward passing out 1C or doubling if I have club shortness (in fact, on another hand that week I had passed out 1N with a 13 count but I had 5 clubs). His club honors also rate to be useful.

6) I made 3N by running clubs and 3 diamonds pitching a spade from my hand. South pitched a heart. Now I exited a spade to south for the first endplay. If they got out a low heart, I could stick them back in with a heart, so they got out ace and a spade but now I just exited the HK and had a heart trick. This line is trivial, and I have no doubt that the seeded pair would have found this line had they played 3N against you.

Basically, they made a very winning decision to double 1D which caused them to get 200 instead of 100, that was unlucky. I have a feeling had you passed you would have been screwed anyways by either them passing out 1C, or balancing 1N and making 3N, or them balancing 1N and making 150 which still probably isnt that good and is your best case scenario. You played this hand against the wrong pair.

#16 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-July-27, 14:49

View PostCSGibson, on 2012-July-27, 14:42, said:

They bid 1 and got raised to 2 at our table, allowed to play there undoubled. on a heart lead, I felt like I did well to raise with the A at trick 2 and fire back a trump into the AQJ to set it 1. I felt like I made a mistake by not getting in there with 1 on the west hand, we get to play a NT partial or double 2 potentially then.

That's true, bidding 1S was the winner, that would shut them out. I said earlier in this thread that I DIDN'T want to bid 1S because I DIDNT want to shut them out....nice read? lol. You also got burned csgibson. My opps also got burned by playing it against me but I was lucky to play it against them since they passed 1C (I would not have doubled 1D vulnerable to be honest, so even that would work against me).

Basically, LOLLUCKATPAIRSHAND.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users