Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Player Polling ACBL question

#1 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-May-27, 01:29

Its my understanding that when ACBL directors try to take a poll of a player's peers, that the primary consideration in determining who is a "peer" is an equivalent number of master points. Is my understanding primarily correct? What other factors may come into play?

Can I, as a player, request that the directors use a different criteria to determine who my peers are if I feel that my master point level is not a good indication of my skill level? (I'm thinking of younger underrated players).

Thanks.
Chris Gibson

#2 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-27, 03:14

In my experience, at events where the playing population is varied (like a large regional or national), and thus the directors have more choices, they look at more than just masterpoints. For instance, if you had 250 MP but were playing in an open national event, they wouldn't go poll people in the 299er event. So a propensity to "play up" can lead to a different set of peers. Also if you are well known as having success (I.e., if you have won a major national title but only have 1000 points or something), then you could get different peers. But merely being good for your points is not necessarily good enough, and if there aren't a lot of different people to choose from then the directors hands might be somewhat tied.

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-28, 10:48

I believe your understanding is incorrect, for you at least. First priority is to find someone (a TD, or someone from your area that I know) who knows you, and then take her advice on how strong you are. If that is not possible, then someone at your level playing your game.

We also take age into account - that 13-year-old flight B player with 200 points, playing in the open game? That 23-year-old with 900?

Oddly enough, my guess would be that Masterpoints is the *last* priority for finding peers. Unfortunately, sometimes it's hard to do better. Fortunately, *most* players play at their MP level (for their area); those that don't tend to get known.

I have had more trouble with "peers" playing odd systems than with skill level, frankly. "all my peers bid? Did you tell all my peers that partner denied a balanced 10 or an unbalanced 6, unless he's 4441, 10-12?"
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-29, 06:49

A further question about this. Say that you are a much better bidder than card player, or vice versa. Can this be taken into account too or only a player's overall level?
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-May-29, 09:09

The director should do whatever he thinks is appropriate for the situation. If it's a bidding issue, he should look for players who bid like you; if it's a play issue, he should poll players who play like you.

But I think you're making this harder than it really is. It's unlikely he can make such fine-grained assessments. In practice, peer groups are probably much like BBO player ratings; there are a few general categories: Beginners, novices, intermediate, advanced, expert, and champions. So unless you're talking about someone who bids like an expert but plays like a novice, I don't think the distinction really matters.

#6 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-May-29, 18:58

As with other replies, I don't think it matters nor would I worry about it. But as to whether you can make a request, sure, why not?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-30, 01:28

View Postbarmar, on 2012-May-29, 09:09, said:

If it's a bidding issue, he should look for players who bid like you;

I don't believe there's anyone at my regular club who bids like me - whether that is a good thing is a whole different matter. :unsure:

Am pretty sure I have the playing like a Novice down pat though; bidding like an expert will require lots of work. Unfortunately there is not anyone at the club (on the day I play at least) who can manage that either.
(-: Zel :-)

#8 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-May-30, 05:20

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-May-30, 01:28, said:

I don't believe there's anyone at my regular club who bids like me - whether that is a good thing is a whole different matter. :unsure:

Am pretty sure I have the playing like a Novice down pat though; bidding like an expert will require lots of work. Unfortunately there is not anyone at the club (on the day I play at least) who can manage that either.

Change the day you play. :-)
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#9 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-04, 21:18

on committees I have served on they take into account your level of expertise
generally the committee is put together by the Head TD, since most of the time
the committee may be meeting on several boards or issues.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users