BBO Discussion Forums: Slam concept - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Slam concept cue or support?

#21 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-May-10, 14:40

I meant that I would aim to keycard in D at the lowest level possible by taking any route necessary rather than going slow (ex bidding 2Nt). Here i dont really care if partner is 5521,5422,5413. Even versus a 6403 its possible diamonds are the best spot. Also I simply dont care if I dont have a S control since its going to be a tough lead to find anyway. (its a lead that give the contract often on similar sequence). If you keycard at 4D and get 4H (1or4) you still can bid 4Nt/5C to ask for major kings.
On a bad day you wont have a way to deal with the 3rd clubs, but cuebidding wont help you with that anyway.

1S-2D-2H-4D
1S-2D-2H-2NT-3NT-4C-4D

both of these sequence are 100% rkc for me.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#22 User is offline   yaohung 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-May-14, 20:42

By the way, 2 then direct jump to 4 is key card for
The skip of club control does create issue for north's slam consideration but south consider 2NT promised certain club strength.

Shall North ignore the message of no control and still cue for spade or heart control, if yes, how should north proceed?

#23 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2012-May-19, 14:40

Over 1-2-2-3= slam interest showing Strong values opposite min opener, and a natural honor fragment or Hxxx+ suit in s. No need to 4th suit forcing denying stop. 2N would be slam negative with partial stop in s. 3N would be balanced strength (15-17) with stopped.
On this hand, I strongly prefer 3. N can rebid 3. South's 4 now shows a self sufficient suit and captaincy. North can bid 4 (2nd round control) and 6 will be reached.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#24 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-19, 15:46

what opening hand am I not gonna make 6 with looking at the south cards? I think this is almost 100% south. North has described a subminimum 5422 or 5431 hand, AJxxx Qxxx Kx Qx still has remote play. Auction went fine until south passed 5D.
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#25 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-20, 02:16

View Postrduran1216, on 2012-May-19, 15:46, said:

what opening hand am I not gonna make 6 with looking at the south cards? I think this is almost 100% south. North has described a subminimum 5422 or 5431 hand, AJxxx Qxxx Kx Qx still has remote play. Auction went fine until south passed 5D.

I agree completely and with MrAce of course.
This is not a bidding problem but a matter of hand evaluation and no level of sophistication of systemic bidding agreements can substitute for that.
After all there are hands which should insist on slam once partner opens. The South hand is one of them.
Cooperative bidding is a great slam concept, but on some other pair of hands.
If slam does not make, blame the light opening brigade.
I would not have opened the North hand nor the silly alternative suggested by aquahombre.

Rainer Hermann

#26 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2012-May-20, 19:17

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-May-09, 08:32, said:

You'd feel a bit sick if Opener had AKQxxx/KQxx/-/Qxx, no? The OP said quite plainly that 4 over 3NT demands cue bids except for 4NT showing no fit. The problem is that North apparently did not agree. I am assuming that the OP is giving us an accurate description of the system in my responses. 4 may or may not be a good bid over 2 but it is not necessary to do this to force a cue bid unless the OP is lying, since taking 3NT out into 4 is clearly a slam try. Obviously in a different bidding system there might be a completely different auction (see post #8).

Not at all. If opener had that hand, he misbid.
1 - 2
2 - 2NT
Opener should rebid 3 here to complete the description of his hand.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users