• You cannot reply to this topic

Another high level decision

#21 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2012-April-27, 13:17

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-April-27, 10:04, said:

How is the example hand convincing? A, it's one hand. B, it is not really consistent with the bidding. C, we gave partner a 10 count with only a doubleton spade and no trump trick, and an honor in both clubs or hearts. It is quite rare for partner to not just pass with no trump trick and only 2 spades and a fitting honor in both of our suits.

If North held xx KQx Jxxx Kxxx, would it clearly be a 5 bid? Does his double clearly imply points in pointed suits? Or is it just a max 2 raise?

#22 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-April-27, 13:57

View Postjogs, on 2012-April-27, 13:17, said:

If North held xx KQx Jxxx Kxxx, would it clearly be a 5 bid? Does his double clearly imply points in pointed suits? Or is it just a max 2 raise?

Yes, that would clearly be a 5 club bid. It might have been worth a 2 bid earlier instead of a 2 call - if partner opened 1st or 2nd seat in an unopposed auction, that would be a 3 card limit raise for me, and after partner's 3rd or 4th seat, a clear drury call.
Chris Gibson

#23 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-27, 14:09

View PostCSGibson, on 2012-April-27, 13:57, said:

Yes, that would clearly be a 5 club bid. It might have been worth a 2 bid earlier instead of a 2 call - if partner opened 1st or 2nd seat in an unopposed auction, that would be a 3 card limit raise for me, and after partner's 3rd or 4th seat, a clear drury call.

1. 1 - (1) - 2
2. 1 - (1) - X

1. I like cue promises 4-card support.

2. Double with 3-card support. No negative double for minors. Nobody cares about minors. Opener may still introduce a 4 card minor. Just don't go out of the way to bid 3 card minors.

#24 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-April-27, 14:30

View Postjogs, on 2012-April-27, 13:17, said:

No, it wouldn't be a clear 5C bid. I'd bid 4NT showing a hand that has suddenly become astonishingly good for the auction so far. I'd bid 5C on the same hand without the king of hearts.

#25 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-April-27, 14:32

As for the original auction, I'm also in the pass-is-not-forcing camp and hence partner's double is a fairly strong penalty opinion. Still strikes me as a tough decision, but I think I'd pass.

#26 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-27, 14:46

I agree that 4 doesn't set up a force, but still partner should expect a good hand opposite and feel involved. I don't think he needs a majestic misfit to double. I'm pulling this but not with confidence.
Michael Askgaard

#27 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-April-27, 15:22

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-April-27, 14:32, said:

As for the original auction, I'm also in the pass-is-not-forcing camp and hence partner's double is a fairly strong penalty opinion. Still strikes me as a tough decision, but I think I'd pass.

I am in the 'pass is forcing' camp along with MikeH. Since double under this construct doesn't carry the same penalty message as it does if pass is non-forcing, then the 5 bidders aren't as worried about finding a useless, defensive minimum across.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#28 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-27, 16:52

View Postgnasher, on 2012-April-27, 03:33, said:

II don't think 4 created a forcing pass, either.

I disagree on this, 4 bid is encouraging partner to bid to the 5 level, I don´t think it makes any sense to do that on defence vul vs not. Unless your metha-agreements clearly say that competitive picture bids don´t create forcing pass I think this one should be taken as such.

#29 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-27, 18:21

Here is the entire deal

if you are a bidder you get -50 or - 100

if you are a passer you get +500 ( at the table claimed -800 and accepted)

EW were Greco and Hampson, NS were Gittelman and Moss

South (Fred) after a reasonable tank, passed. After the hand he commented something like " I am not sure if i could pass in real life"

But regardless, the difference between bidding and passing was huge on this deal, and he got it right.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#30 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-April-27, 21:51

This hand is very convincing!

#31 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2012-April-27, 22:51

My guess: 5 = 10, 5 = 9, Pass = 8.

#32 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder

Posted 2012-April-28, 02:52

View PostFluffy, on 2012-April-27, 16:52, said:

I disagree on this, 4 bid is encouraging partner to bid to the 5 level, I don´t think it makes any sense to do that on defence vul vs not. Unless your metha-agreements clearly say that competitive picture bids don´t create forcing pass I think this one should be taken as such.

The argument for playing it as non-forcing is that there is no need to play it as forcing. This does need you to be playing 3NT as artificial, however. So on this auction we play:

4H = to play, no forcing pass
3NT = good 4H bid, sets up a forcing pass if they bid again, no serious second suit
4m = natural, usually 5-5, invites partner to pass, double or bid on with a suitable hand

If you have a 4m hand that wanted to set up a forcing pass, you bid 4m then double if partner passes - not showing defence particularly, but saying you really meant it.

This way you learn more about responder's hand: he can pass, bid or double and they all give stronger opinions than if he was in a forcing pass auction.
You don't seem to give up much; you make opener's re-opening double a little less well defined is all.

#33 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-28, 21:56

View PostMrAce, on 2012-April-27, 18:21, said:

Here is the entire deal

How did Marty Bergen convince the bridge community that 3 is the correct bid with the East hand? There is no statistical evidence to support his view.
East 5 points are in the short suits. 5 points in hearts means N-S will probably lose only one heart trick even when they have 5-3 hearts. No singletons are unlucky for offense. For normalized boards meaning 20-20 in HCP for each pair a 5-4 fit with flat hands produces an expected 8 to 8 2/3 tricks not 9 tricks. This East hand is unlucky for our side and lucky for opponents. 2 or even pass is a better bid than 3.

#34 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-28, 22:07

View Postjogs, on 2012-April-28, 21:56, said:

How did Marty Bergen convince the bridge community that 3 is the correct bid with the East hand? There is no statistical evidence to support his view.
East 5 points are in the short suits. 5 points in hearts means N-S will probably lose only one heart trick even when they have 5-3 hearts. No singletons are unlucky for offense. For normalized boards meaning 20-20 in HCP for each pair a 5-4 fit with flat hands produces an expected 8 to 8 2/3 tricks not 9 tricks. This East hand is unlucky for our side and lucky for opponents. 2 or even pass is a better bid than 3.

Perhaps Greco and Hampson have had better results misbidding by 1/3 trick than others have. But, they have a day and a half to absorb the concept, before they have to play again.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#35 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-April-28, 22:18

View Postjogs, on 2012-April-28, 21:56, said:

I will point greco and hampson to your advice, thanks.

#36 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-29, 07:56

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-April-28, 22:07, said:

Perhaps Greco and Hampson have had better results misbidding by 1/3 trick than others have. But, they have a day and a half to absorb the concept, before they have to play again.

This 1/3 of a trick underperformance is based solely on pattern. This hand has other negatives. In Larry Cohen's "To Bid or Not to Bid" there is a table on page 216. It includes some variables for positive and negative adjustments. KQ tight in opponents' suit is an additional negative adjustment. Qxxx, xx, Kxxxx, xx
is a much better hand than xxxx, KQ, xxxxx, xx.

#37 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-April-29, 07:59

View Postjogs, on 2012-April-29, 07:56, said:

Qxxx, xx, Kxxxx, xx
is a much better hand than xxxx, KQ, xxxxx, xx.

Agreed, that is why they no doubt would show a mixed raise with the first hand and a weak raise with the 2nd hand.

#38 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-April-29, 08:03

Jogs, how did this 3S bid work on this hand? If you bid 2S you will no doubt defend 4H making. If you bid 3S, then more than half of the people would bid on to 5H with the south hand apparently, so you would defend 5H down. Some people would judge correctly and get you for 500 instead of 420. So you risk a couple of imps to gain 10 or so, because you applied pressure. Against Mikeh, Phil, loldonn, gnasher, you win 10 imps for bidding 3S. Against fred, you lose 2. That is how bridge is played, that is why bids like 3S work out well. Stop thinking about the law of total tricks lol

#39 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-April-29, 17:47

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-April-29, 08:03, said:

Jogs, how did this 3S bid work on this hand? If you bid 2S you will no doubt defend 4H making. If you bid 3S, then more than half of the people would bid on to 5H with the south hand apparently, so you would defend 5H down. Some people would judge correctly and get you for 500 instead of 420. So you risk a couple of imps to gain 10 or so, because you applied pressure. Against Mikeh, Phil, loldonn, gnasher, you win 10 imps for bidding 3S. Against fred, you lose 2. That is how bridge is played, that is why bids like 3S work out well. Stop thinking about the law of total tricks lol

Amen
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#40 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-29, 17:52

Exchange the kings and queens between North and East.

The patterns and total trumps are unchanged. The total tricks
increase from 17(7+10) to 20(9+11).

The experts love to debate bidding in bridge quizzes. But do
they ever ponder the question, "where do tricks come from?"
Or investigate how tricks are generated?

I was once asked if I believe in the Law of Total Tricks. The
answer is yes and no. Yes, I believe trumps is a primary variable
for estimating tricks. No, total tricks is not equal to total trumps.

There is a much weaker relationship.
For each pair
E(tricks) = trumps + (HCP-20)/3 + e
E(tricks) is expected tricks.
Trumps is the combined trumps of the partnership.
HCP is the combined points of the partnership.
e is the error of the estimates. This error can be as great as
+/- 2.

HCP and trumps are the primary variables for generating
tricks. On some skewed boards the secondary variables
play a huge part in generating these tricks. Causing the
original estimates to be off by more than two tricks.

In the example board it was possible to increase the tricks
by three by just exchanging a few kings and queens.
Would North bid differently from the original North hand?
Or would North find 5 over 4? Does the double
of 4 show a max 2 call or a strong preference to
defend? If only one of North's three honor card were in
the rounded suits, pulling by South would have probably
been correct.

jogs

This post has been edited by jogs: 2012-April-29, 19:08

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users