• You cannot reply to this topic

What do I rebid?

#1 User is offline   swanway 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-April-20, 09:06

EBU

Let's say I have the following hand QJ4 K105 AQ985 J2

I open 1H (playing five card majors) My partner bids 1S. What is my rebid? I cannot bid 1NT because that means a balanced hand and 15/16 points. I do not have another suit to bid. I cannot repeat the hearts because that would mean a six card suit. The 1S bid by my partner is forcing for one round. What do I bid?

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-April-20, 09:30

Pardon my lack of knowledge about what goes on in the EBU, but why would a 1NT rebid after opening one of a MAJOR show 15/16?

1NT seems like the obvious rebid, and I would never expect it to show a strong NT even if I play weak NTs.

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-20, 09:44

The idea of being prepared for the expected response when choosing an opening bid is what sparked the concept of opening 1NT with a balanced hand and a heart suit.

That is what this is: a balanced hand with a heart suit. Apparently, your opening 1NT range is 12-14, and your 1NT rebid is stronger than 12-14. So, what to rebid now is too late to ask. You had two choices earlier: either to allow a 1NT rebid after 1H-1S to be minimum in your style, or to open 1NT.

One of those choices is flawed because you would still have a rebid problem with 2-5-3-3 and 15-16 HCP; so opening 1NT with any balanced hand in the range seems better.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-20, 10:17

At my local club the 4-card majorites have no problem rebidding two hearts with this hand. Playing five-card majors this is even less attractive, so if you do not wish to open or rebid in notrumps then just rebid two clubs.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#5 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-April-20, 12:36

You do one of the following:

- Open 1NT whether or not you have 5 hearts
- Play a wide range (12-16) 1NT rebid after 1H-1S
- Rebid 2C

#6 User is offline   AyunuS 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-20, 17:24

If the system is going to cause you to get stuck with what you've opened, then you should not open that. Open 1NT if it's low enough pts to open it, and if not, you might just have to pass initially. Or you could just rebid 1NT anyway and hope for the best.

#7 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-April-21, 22:41

2 rebid seems normal in Acol, as the aren't too shabby. You could rebid 2 with a view to finding a NT contract, which is far too tempting with this balanced hand, so that's what I'd do.
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   tolvyrj 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-22, 16:56

Nice place u have driven u self. Since u didnt open 1Nt ( which u shld have done if u play weak Nt). Every bid now on lies something, u just have to decide which lies less.
Pass is out question, so is no-trump; which one is bigger of sins lie that u have 1 or 1 minor suit card more than u have.
I my self would bid 2 cause that is negative possible rebid.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users