• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-28, 13:10

Opener's hands:
a)x AQxxx AJxx xxx
b)x AQxxx AKxx xxx

Responder's hand:
xxx KJx Qxx AKQx

We play 2/1. How do we stop in 4H opposite hand a) and reach 6H opposite hand b).
The problem as I see it is that without nice system you end up in:
1H - 2C
2D - 2H
3C - 3H
??? and if you cuebid here with both hands responder still doesn't know which one of the hands you have and has no space to for invites anymore. Also you have very wide range here so I am not sure if any kind of sersious-nonserious solves that problem (as both hands would be rather non serious).
In actual hand we cue-bid but still two hands were possible so I just gambled 6H (either it's very good (or on top) or it's on the finesse).

Ideas ?

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-28, 13:51

Your auction thru 3H seems fine. Partner and I have an agreement at that point which apparently is not the mainstream view.

Both hands are unlimited, and opener's at bat...first to clarify her strength.

---with the first hand, she just bids 4H.
---with the second, she will cue...showing not really extra values, but a nice hand willing to cooperate if pard is slammish.
---with a third hand type (real biggie), she would bid 3NT.

Other threads have probed use of "serious 3NT" versus non-serious. But it is not clear from what I have read that the 3 levels are part of their agreements.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-28, 14:14

I wonder if you could bid 3s over 2h with hand b to show short spades and extras. Of course that would assume hand b has extras in your style.

#4 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-28, 14:24

I wonder if you could bid 3s over 2h with hand b to show short spades and extras.

3C alreaady promised spade shortness (5hearts, 4diamonds, 3+clubs), so 3S would be void.

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-March-28, 14:39

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-March-28, 14:24, said:

3C alreaady promised spade shortness (5hearts, 4diamonds, 3+clubs), so 3S would be void.

You might have misread Mike777. He meant 3S instead of 3C, so there is no "already" involved. The difference between 3S and 3C, might be relevant to his suggestion, since they would both show the spade shortness.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-28, 14:42

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-March-28, 13:10, said:

Opener's hands:
a)x AQxxx AJxx xxx
b)x AQxxx AKxx xxx

Responder's hand:
xxx KJx Qxx AKQx

We play 2/1. How do we stop in 4H opposite hand a) and reach 6H opposite hand b).
1H - 2C
2D - 2H
3C - 3H
??? and if you cuebid here with both hands responder still doesn't know which one of the hands you have and has no space to for invites anymore. Also you have very wide range here so I am not sure if any kind of sersious-nonserious solves that problem (as both hands would be rather non serious).
In actual hand we cue-bid but still two hands were possible so I just gambled 6H (either it's very good (or on top) or it's on the finesse).

Ideas ?

It's very important to combine some sort of "last train" with serious or non-serious 3NT, which would be the 4D bid in these instances. The basic idea is that when both opening hands call themselves non-serious, the responding hand knows now that he has slam if opener is maximum but not if opener is minimum. It could go like either of these, depending whether they use 3S or 3NT as the non serious slam try when hearts are trumps:

If 3S is any non-serious slam try
1H - 2C
2D - 2H
3C - 3H
3S - 4C
4H with the first hand and responder will pass, or 4D last train with the second hand and responder will move

If 3S shows a spade control and 3NT is any non-serious slam try
1H - 2C
2D - 2H
3C - 3H
3S - 3N
4H on the first hand since opener knows slam isn't there if responder is non-serious, or 4D on the second hand since opener knows slam can be there

I don't think I can even remember a time that I have been unhappy to have been playing last train, but even if I could I think it has been useful to me literally hundreds of times. The last cue bid below game is much more useful as "I still have interest (sometimes due to having a control you denied with your last bid), but my hand is not good enough to go beyond game on its own" than "I have a control in this suit".
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-March-28, 16:38

An extremely old fashioned an often derided bid can work here too.

1-3N (13-15 3343/3334)

first hand bids 4, second visualises Axx, KJx, Qxxx, Axx or xxx, KJx, QJxx, AKx where 6 is excellent and bids 4, this gives responder a chance to gamble that partner doesn't have xxx and bid 5 if he wants to, knowledge that partner has no spade control and a hand that would like to cooperate is great news, auction would continue 6-6. No guarantees but I would say slam is more likely than going off in 5. Our partnership philosophy is to take the risk in that situation, conventional wisdom is to play safe.

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-March-28, 17:29

In a situation like this, where you have two completely unlimited hands, Last Train can certainly be very helpful, but on these two pairs of hands I think you can manage without it. Playing non-serious 3NT and cue-bidding, after
3NT-4
4-4
opener passes 4 with the 11-count, and bids 5 with the control-rich 14.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#9 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-28, 18:04

View Postgnasher, on 2012-March-28, 17:29, said:

In a situation like this, where you have two completely unlimited hands, Last Train can certainly be very helpful, but on these two pairs of hands I think you can manage without it. Playing non-serious 3NT and cue-bidding, after
3NT-4
4-4
opener passes 4 with the 11-count, and bids 5 with the control-rich 14.

You can bid fairly accurately this way, but you will get to the 5 level more often and go down if the breaks are bad.
- billw55

#10 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-March-28, 20:37

Opener's hands:
a)x AQxxx AJxx xxx
b)x AQxxx AKxx xxx

Responder's hand:
xxx KJx Qxx AKQx

1H - 2C
2D - 2H
3C - 3H

Ideas ?

FWIW, using my methods, the first four bids are the same. Opener then in both situations bids 2 (spade control), followed by 2NT from responder (
not two top hearts). The auctions then diverge.

Opener (A) bypasses 3 to deny any of the top three clubs, bypasses 3 to deny two of the top three diamonds, but bids 3 to show two top hearts.

Opener (B) cues 3 to show two top diamonds.

Thus, the major issue is resolved at this point using cues. The rest gets worked out later.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2012-March-29, 02:47

Assuming you aptern out and 3 must be 3 cards you can bluhmer

1-2
2-2
3-3

showing nothing in spades and some slam interest

this makes hand A) a sing off and hand B) a cuebid. Or a serious/non serious bid. But I admit this is a bit subtle.

#12 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-March-29, 03:42

To call

xxx KJx Qxx AKQx non serious vs a stiff S is a mistake.

You need at least one sort of general strenght slam try (more important that 1 cuebid). I dont think you need both 3NT friv/serious and last train but you really need 1 of them.

...3♥
3NT-4♣
4♦-4♥
opener passes 4♥ with the 11-count, and bids 5♦ with the control-rich 14.
Agree 100%
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#13 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-March-29, 09:23

I also think that this hand can be bid well using vanilla 2/1 with good agreements about serious/nonserious. The auction would start:

1H - 2C
2D - 2H
3C - ..

Now opener has more or less shown his shape and cuebidding starts. I play that 3H by responder is non-serious, perhaps it would be better to use 3D for that purpose but that's not my agreement. Responder does't have a non-serious, so bids 4C, showing no diamond or spade control but a club control. Opener would last train 4D (showing a diamond control plus an ace in either spades or diamonds since responder denied both) and responder bids 4H. Now opener can comfortably pass with hand 1, but should bid on with hand 2. After all, responder has shown serious slam interest and this is quite a nice hand. I think that 5D would be the best continuation.

I think you (= bluecalm) committed a serious misevaluation when you said responder was rather non-serious. Responder was very serious, he has extras and his hand fits extremely well.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#14 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-March-29, 09:32

View Postlalldonn, on 2012-March-28, 14:42, said:

1H - 2C
2D - 2H
3C - 3H

Why does responder need to bid 3H, what does it say? I understand that some would interpret 4C as showing a real club suit, but is that best? Opener has already said a lot about his shape, it seems to me (and I learned this from you) that from now on we should just cuebid. I guess 4C could tell responder that the club queen is a big card, that could be useful.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#15 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-29, 15:20

View Posthan, on 2012-March-29, 09:32, said:

Why does responder need to bid 3H, what does it say? I understand that some would interpret 4C as showing a real club suit, but is that best? Opener has already said a lot about his shape, it seems to me (and I learned this from you) that from now on we should just cuebid. I guess 4C could tell responder that the club queen is a big card, that could be useful.

I often have agreements about the difference between bidding 3 of the trump suit or going directly beyond it (such as one allowing a natural 3NT and the other setting up non-serious 3NT). But in this case I have a far better excuse. I was simply continuing with the auction given by the original poster and suggesting how I think it should go if that point has been reached.
- billw55

#16 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-29, 15:40

A lalldonn innovation: First step nonserious over a shape-showing bid that shows 12 known cards in a 2/1 fit auction. So 3D over 3C would be nonserious. 3H would be a serious trump cue, etc.
- billw55

#17 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-29, 15:43

View Posthan, on 2012-March-29, 09:32, said:

Of course if you do not play lalldonnserious and want to play a straight cuebidding style then 3H would just show a trump cuebid with no diamond control, which is what the 3H bidder has so I saw no reason to complain.
- billw55

#18 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2012-March-29, 23:19

Getting out at 4 is going to be hard unless responder has limited his hand and opener decides he is minimum enough to pass.

Getting out at 5 - which on the posted cards is a pretty safe spot - ought to be pretty easy for any good cuebidding system, I would think.

#19 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-March-30, 09:43

Interesting thread. I see most if not all of the expert posters prefer to bid out their shape with 3clbs even with xxx in ths suit rather than start cuebidding over 2h. Then stuff such as serious or nonserious gets discussed with some last train stuff.

Very interesting to see how the experts approach a problem such as this.

#20 User is offline   xxhong 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-30, 10:56

Vanilla 2/1:
1H 2C
2D 2H
3C 3D
3N(nonserious 3NT) 4H

1H 2C
2D 2H
3C 3D
4D(serious cue) 4N(RKC) ...

My 2/1:
1H 2C
2D(weakness) 2H(natural, may belong to 3NT, so let's see)
3C(D) 4H(stop)

1H 2C
2H(extra, D suit) 2S(2-3 H)
2N(2+C) 3H(3 H)
3S(cue) 4C(cue, even number of KC)
4D(cue) 5C(cue, extra,denies HQ, denies S control)
5D(cue) 6C(cue)
6H pass.

Opener's hands:
a)x AQxxx AJxx xxx
b)x AQxxx AKxx xxx

Responder's hand:
xxx KJx Qxx AKQx

1H - 2C
2D - 2H
3C - 3H

Ideas ?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users