BBO Discussion Forums: Non-bridge friends ask you about bridge - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Non-bridge friends ask you about bridge What's your response?

#21 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-29, 04:00

mgoetze, on 2012-February-29, 03:14, said:

OK, a topologist is someone who thinks about things such as whether a donut is the same as a football, that's easy enough. But what does an algebraic geometer do? Or a category theorist?

A topologist thinks a mug is the same as a doughnut (don't ever ask them to make you a cup of coffee).

An algebraic geometer thinks shapes are just a series of letters and numbers (don't let them redecorate your home).

A category theorist deals in general abstract nonsense (don't even bother them).
(-: Zel :-)

#22 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 05:02

In my circle of friends there are quite a few people who play cards and many people have a scientific background. That makes it relatively easy to explain what I think bridge is all about. There is one thing that I will not bring up. I won't talk about technique: no conventions, no squeezes, not even a finesse.

When people ask me about bridge, I usually tell them about the competitions I play in, how my team is doing, how you need mental toughness, how to be a good partner and things like that. These are things most people recognize from other competitive sports. Only when there is a "bridge" like that I will start talking about tactics. These will include things like "what might your action gain / lose and what are the probabilities that you win or lose?". People tend to recognize that or they may be able to understand.

If they are still interested, I might start about how the game is actually played: You play and try to win as many tricks as you can. Before the play, there is bidding that decides who is going to play and what are trumps. Then I explain that there is natural bidding where "clubs" means "clubs" and "spades" means "spades", but that you are allowed to play that "clubs" means "spades" and "spades" means "clubs". I will add to that that your opponents are allowed to know how you are coding things, but that you have to know your own system by heart. I will also explain the relation between efficiency in a bidding system and mathematics. (Many people I know are good at math.)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#23 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2012-February-29, 07:23

OK, a topologist is someone who thinks about things such as whether a donut is the same as a football, that's easy enough. But what does an algebraic geometer do? Or a category theorist?

You missed algebraic topology, which is my favorite branch of mathematics.
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

#24 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 07:33

frank0, on 2012-February-28, 01:55, said:

Have you had any experience about your non-bridge friends or family members ask you about this game? What did they ask and what's your answer?

They ask what the fascination is with the game, and I say that it doesn't get boring because it becomes harder the better one gets at it.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#25 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-February-29, 07:42

S2000magic, on 2012-February-29, 07:23, said:

An algebraic topologist is a combination of the topologist and algebraic geometer - don't let them anywhere in your home, ever!
(-: Zel :-)

#26 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 07:53

Most of the time I find that the start of the conversation consists of an attempt to dispel the other party's stereotypical view of the profile of a normal bridge player as an aristocratic retired colonel or his wife.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#27 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2012-February-29, 08:14

Zelandakh, on 2012-February-29, 07:42, said:

S2000magic, on 2012-February-29, 07:23, said:

An algebraic topologist is a combination of the topologist and algebraic geometer - don't let them anywhere in your home, ever!

Ouch!
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

#28 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 08:30

1eyedjack, on 2012-February-29, 07:53, said:

Most of the time I find that the start of the conversation consists of an attempt to dispel the other party's stereotypical view of the profile of a normal bridge player as an aristocratic retired colonel or his wife.

I'd forgotten about this, but you bring up a good point. I've found that giving them examples of famous people who are (or were) bridge players helps: Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, Martina Navratilova, John Wayne, Chico Marx, Omar Sharif.
BCIII

#29 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-February-29, 17:53

I usually try to explain cardplay, i.e. you need to draw inferences at various points in the play from your opps' actions, the need to reassess these inferences when new information becomes available and how experts try to mislead each other with more and more sophisticated ploys (of course, this also applies to bidding somewhat). 10% of the time it works, the rest of the time they run away. Oh well.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#30 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-01, 08:06

Was just thinking about "the kids" vs the Blue Team* (The Bridge Bum, Chapter 1) in the context of tonight's JEC match. That was an amazing account of a once in a lifetime encounter at the bridge table and as exciting as anything I've ever read about a bridge or sports event. That story won't help anyone understand how to play bridge. But it might help them understand how people get hooked on the game.

* Edit: 3 members from the Blue Team + Omar Sharif.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#31 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-March-02, 19:27

Fair enough. But the context was a comparison with someone asking about bridge. I am not claiming I could explain squeezes to my neighbor. Not before he walks away anyway. And a topologist is someone who doesn't know his ... from a hole in the ground. (Trust me folks, topologists find this amusing.)
Ken

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users