• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

another "acceptable" question

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-17, 05:09

A bit tired of bad players who tap the table or even remove the bidding cards like if the auction was over when they reach what they think its their contract. I have begun to put my own pass cards in front of them to be able to keep track of the bidding. Is this wrong?

#2 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-January-17, 05:53

I think clearing your throat is not out of line here, even though it is arguably the same as giving your own ruling. Slapping them in the face with a pass card is probably morally justified but the laws do not allow it. Your solution seems like a good compromise but I'm afraid it is also a violation of law 74. Just ask them nicely?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-17, 07:05

I think it's best to say something like "please put a pass card on the table if you intend to pass".
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-17, 07:23

Depends a lot on the environment for me. Vs. bad players at the club, I probably mention it casually maybe twice, then just let it go. At a tournament, a polite request the first time, director call the second.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-January-17, 08:32

If your RHO does this then wait 10 seconds or so and then turn to LHO and ask them of they agree there has been a BIT before their partner has placed a bidding card. ;) For your RHO you could ask your partner to follow this procedure. In a club I would expect this (tapping) to be acceptable - in long auctions it is not uncommon to run out of pass cards anyway. For a SB-type answer: "Tapping the table is not an acceptable way to pass with bidding boxes, please use a pass card" should suffice.
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-17, 10:09

I think I do it sometimes, especially when I am tired. For example if we bid like 1N-3N I may remove my cards a bit too early. By doing that I am trying to save some seconds not to get any possible UI to partner. Of course in a competitive or highly conventional auction where it is possible that there was a misunderstanding I always wait until there are three passes on the table before removing my cards.

#7 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-January-17, 10:30

p-p-p-1NT-p-3NT- is completely different than, say,

2-p-4-

:)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#8 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-17, 11:02

or 1D-1S; 2C-2NT; 3D and then flip your scorecard over and write in the contract, for that matter.

To answer the OP: My question in cases where it's egregious (this is SOP in North America - and it grates on me, too) is "I'm sorry, did you call?"

I also *always* put out a pass card, even if the other two passes behind me were pickups or taps. I've only had to adjudicate one "was it doubled" hand, and it's not happening at *my* table (at least not when I'm in the passout seat).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-January-17, 23:46

View Postthe_clown, on 2012-January-17, 10:09, said:

I think I do it sometimes, especially when I am tired. For example if we bid like 1N-3N I may remove my cards a bit too early.

You mean even before the face-down opening lead is made?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-18, 20:48

View Postmycroft, on 2012-January-17, 11:02, said:

or 1D-1S; 2C-2NT; 3D and then flip your scorecard over and write in the contract, for that matter.

To answer the OP: My question in cases where it's egregious (this is SOP in North America - and it grates on me, too) is "I'm sorry, did you call?"

I also *always* put out a pass card, even if the other two passes behind me were pickups or taps. I've only had to adjudicate one "was it doubled" hand, and it's not happening at *my* table (at least not when I'm in the passout seat).

I'd been told not to do that, because a tap is not technically a call (even though it's understood to be a call) and so someone can claim that they didn't make a call (they just touched the table) and now I've called out of turn.

What I do now is routinely ask the person tapping if they're calling. And for the person picking up their hand, I point out that other people still have a call, and that gets them to stop doing that (for that auction at least, which is honestly all I think I can affect when I am a player).
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#11 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-January-23, 20:17

Is it unrasonable that at the club I will tap (usually a pass card) on the table and pack up my (pass) cards if I'm in the passout seat in an auction like 1NT - (P) - 3NT - (P) - P - (??) or 1H - (P) - 2H - (P) - 4H - (P) - Pass - (??). I'll even do it if I'm in the second to last seat - it seems unlikely that after 1H - (P) - 2H - (P) - 4H - (P) - Pass - (P) righty is suddenly going to develop a burning desire to introduce a new suit at the five level after passing an oppotunity to do so at the three level, though obviously I won't pack up any bids I have made.

The thing that gets on my tits is people who start packing up their actual bids before you can ask any questions about the auction. To use an example from last night, if you did something like 1NT - 2C; 3C (??) - 5H (?!?!); 6NT (!!) - Pass with nairy an alert to be heard, I am going to want to ask if you had any idea what you thought you where doing before making my lead.

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-23, 20:28

The auction is not over until three passes have been made. Unless your local regulations specify that a pass can be made by tapping on something, that action is not a pass, and so three passes have not been made, and the auction is not over. If your local regulations specify that bidding cards are supposed to remain visible until sometime after the auction is over, for example, the end of the clarification period, which is when the opening lead is faced, or after third seat plays to the first trick, at which point no one has authority to ask for a review of the bidding, then picking them up before the specified time is an infraction of the regulation.

In your example from last night, "please explain your auction" ought to do it. OTOH, I have had this happen: "Please explain your auction". "Well, he bid... and then I bid..." "Thank you for the review. Please explain your auction." "Director!" :lol:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#13 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-January-24, 11:09

It is a fact that people do not follow the rules in detail. It is also a fact that the game will be more pleasant and last longer if players are tolerant of what others do wrong. We have to balance these things. Zero Tolerance is a very unfortunate term, because while there is no real reason to tolerate very bad behaviour, most people tolerate behaviour that is not very bad, and we need to do so. I think "Maxi Tolerance" is good for the game.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#14 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-January-25, 21:05

View PostVampyr, on 2012-January-17, 23:46, said:

You mean even before the face-down opening lead is made?

You still haven't figured out that there are bridge games which are not regulated by the EBU? Sheesh...
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users