• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

UI

#1 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2012-January-11, 15:42

Bidding proceeded as follows. After the 4C bid East asked a number of questions about the 4C bid. South calls you to the table after the 5C bid comes round to him. After telling the table to continue, South calls you back and claims damage. How do you rule?

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-11, 15:56

It appears there was damage (NS can make 5 for +650 and can defeat 5X only one or two for +500 at most). It also appears that West has taken advantage of UI, so I would adjust the score to +650 for NS, -650 for EW (in the US, I would use Law 12C1{e} for this, in the UK there is the possibility of weighted scores (12C1{c} although I don't see much need for that here). I'm going out on a limb here, basing the ruling on such sparse evidence. If it turns out there's some other pertinent evidence, that might change my ruling.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-11, 16:16

How do N/S make 650 in 5? If you are "disallowing" the 5 bid, shouldn't you be considering the play in 4?

As a TD I would start by:

(i) ascertaining how many tricks were made in 5x; and
(ii) polling peers of West over 4.

What was the form of scoring?

This post has been edited by jallerton: 2012-January-11, 17:15

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-January-11, 16:33

jallerton, on 2012-January-11, 16:16, said:

How do N/S make 650 in 5? If you are "disallowing" the 5 bid, shouldn't you be considering the play in 4?

As a TD I would start by:

(i) ascertaining how many tricks were made in 5x; and
(ii) polling peers of West over 4.

What was the form of scoring?

1. I was suggesting they might make an overtrick in 4.
2. I did say there was sparse information in the OP and that I was going solely on that information.
3. What 5 bid?
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-11, 17:23

OK then, how does 4 make an overtrick? I don't think the TD should consider a low club opening lead from West, as apart from being of dubious merit, such a lead would appear to be a breach of Law 73C.

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-January-11, 17:29

Apparently I misread it. Okay, 4 makes 4.
--------------------

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-January-12, 09:07

What jurisdiction, do they require an alert for the 4 bid, and was it alerted if so?

Assuming the explanation given was something like "singleton or void in ", what "number of questions" could East possibly have?

#8 User is offline   schulken 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-12, 10:08

Certainly, in the US, the 4 bid should be alerted (I'm assuming it is a splinter, even though I believe the N hand is a bit weak for that call), E can ask what it means, which is a simple explanation, and then E may pass in tempo. Proper use of the stop card by N would allow E another 10 seconds or so to mull overe the auction. I can't believe that W would bid a new suit with a 5-card holding at the 5 level without UI. W must know that E can't have much - both opponents have shown opening hands - and nothing from the auction would tell W that S doesn't have a suit. What would E be expected to do with little support? Correct to '? I'd be inclined to award a score of +620 to NS. To be sure, I would check the other scores first and check with other directors present in the room, even if they were not there in a directing capacity. I think proper due diligence can help avoid an unnecessary appeals process.

#9 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2012-January-12, 10:36

Sorry, this was EBU land. 4C was not alerted as per local regulations, that state that all bids over 3NT do not require an alert.

It was explained as a splinter upon an enquiry, and led to East showing significant interest, by asking the strength of the bid etc. It took longer than the 10 seconds as stipulated by the stop card procedure.

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-January-12, 11:06

The stop card procedure has nothing to do with questions. In effect, the ten second clock starts after all the questions are answered.
--------------------

#11 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-January-12, 11:08

schulken, on 2012-January-12, 10:08, said:

To be sure, I would check the other scores first and ...

I don't think you should check other scores which have no relevance unless details of bidding and bidding agreements was the same.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#12 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-12, 12:22

blackshoe, on 2012-January-12, 11:06, said:

The stop card procedure has nothing to do with questions. In effect, the ten second clock starts after all the questions are answered.

Is that what you think the [EBU] regulations mean?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#13 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-January-12, 13:20

That's what I think all the stop card/skip bid regulations with which I'm (more or less) familiar mean. If you disagree, please explain.
--------------------

#14 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-12, 13:51

I don't have any particular opinion about it. The EBU regulations require you to pause, but don't make it clear whether time spent asking questions can constitute part of the pause.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#15 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-January-12, 13:54

You're right, they don't. It just seems to me that it makes no sense to tell a player who is supposed to act as if he needs to think for ten seconds that if he spends some time asking and getting answers to questions, he can no longer have that ten seconds when he does need to think.
--------------------

#16 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-January-12, 14:18

gnasher, on 2012-January-12, 13:51, said:

I don't have any particular opinion about it. The EBU regulations require you to pause, but don't make it clear whether time spent asking questions can constitute part of the pause.

At least one player believes the EBU regulations require him to ask about a skip bid that was alerted or potentially unusual (e.g. above 3NT), as part of using up the ten seconds. To do otherwise would "show indifference when pausing" (EBU Orange Book 7B6). Although perhaps not strictly relevant, it matches my perception that players attempting to comply with the EBU regulation ask questions during the ten second pause not before the ten second pause.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#17 User is offline   schulken 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-12, 14:29

Just to clarify, I can envision a scenario where I would let 5X stand. Had W overcalled 2, showing and and unknown minor, followed by N's 4 splinter, E could make a case for a double to show or support for either minor or just raising . A double by E allows W to retreat to 4 if he/she is weak or if that's his/her suit. Having seen opening strength to his/her left and right, E could logically conclude that -500 against -620/650 would be a good result. Knowing they have a 9 or 10 card fit in a minor suit would make for a good sacrifice. That's why I'd check the scores and see how any other -500s got there.

#18 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-12, 15:58

For what it is worth:
The Norwegian regulation on STOP explicitly specifies that "the STOP pause begins after opponents have received answers to possible questions on the call".

I have a strong impression that our regulations in general have been derived and translated from WBF and EBL recommendations.

#19 User is offline   mjj29 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-12, 16:53

blackshoe, on 2012-January-12, 13:54, said:

You're right, they don't. It just seems to me that it makes no sense to tell a player who is supposed to act as if he needs to think for ten seconds that if he spends some time asking and getting answers to questions, he can no longer have that ten seconds when he does need to think.

I've known some people who dutifully wait 10 seconds, then ask questions, then think about their bid

#20 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-January-12, 18:22

mjj29, on 2012-January-12, 16:53, said:

I've known some people who dutifully wait 10 seconds, then ask questions, then think about their bid

I would say those people don't understand the purpose of the regulation.
--------------------

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users