• You cannot reply to this topic

defence problem for advanced

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-September-17, 20:52

IMPs, individual.

Opponents make their way to 3NT while you keep silence, partner makes a rare lead of 3, declarer doesn't think much before playing low from dummy, declarer playes 5 under your queen.

I know this is not something usual, but I think this hand is more suited for advanced than for BILs, but BILs feel free to answer. Experts please hide your answers

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-17, 23:06

Spoiler

Edited after the warning of a missing card by Chasetb
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-September-17, 23:46

MrAce, your hand has only 12 cards. However, I never thought of that distribution when I first saw the problem (assuming the missing card is a Heart). That is how I would play it, because every hand I thought of Declarer had 9 tricks because we were squeezed.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-September-18, 01:09

View Postchasetb, on 2011-September-17, 23:46, said:

MrAce, your hand has only 12 cards. However, I never thought of that distribution when I first saw the problem (assuming the missing card is a Heart). That is how I would play it, because every hand I thought of Declarer had 9 tricks because we were squeezed.

Spoiler

EDIT : Ty for the warning, i corrected the previous hand to 13 cards
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2011-September-18, 09:00

Not claiming to be an expert, but will hide my answer anyway.

Spoiler

--Ben--

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2011-September-19, 05:25

Thx to those who tried, teh full hand was:

Its an iividual, so anything might happen, declarer is suposed to be 3235 on the bidding, but he could have a 4234 9 count for all that I know.

Partner leading lowest heart was odd, but it worked wonders on this hand, the way declarer played quickly low from dummy made me think he had J, the only way I saw to defeat was that aprtner had 10xxx, so I quickly switched to Q wich held, then J wich also held, and the contract was down at trick 5.

Perhaps its worth a try to duck a club or cash A to have a look, I admit J10 stiff in aprtner's hand never crossed my mind, but the more time you take to switch to Q the less chances declarer will play you for QJ10x(x)

EDIT: Maybe I should have switched 10 with J then playing partner for J10 makes less sense.

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-September-19, 06:59

Maybe your declarer should have thought a little harder.

If you have QJ10x, he can't make it whatever he does. If you have QJ10xx without A, he can still make by ducking the first spade but covering the second one. So, when he covered Q he was playing you for QJ10xx, Q and A. Can anyone remember how the bidding went?

In any case, it's obviously right to play A at trck one and play clubs. Even if you have five heart tricks, you still need a club trick, so there's no layout where playing low on the first heart gains.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2011-September-19, 07:33

I knew someone would jump at me for posting a hand form individual :)

#9 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-September-19, 09:02

It's a good hand and a good lesson. Finding a line that beats the contract if declarer makes a mistake is sometimes better than finding a line that beats the contract on a very unlikely lie of the cards. This is especially true if you can recognize the ploy fast and can play confidently.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-September-19, 14:30

View Posthan, on 2011-September-19, 09:02, said:

It's a good hand and a good lesson. Finding a line that beats the contract if declarer makes a mistake is sometimes better than finding a line that beats the contract on a very unlikely lie of the cards. This is especially true if you can recognize the ploy fast and can play confidently.

Thats only true if the chances of declarer making mistake is reasonable. In this case i think not covering in 2nd round is slim to none, but i say this because the problem was asked in A/E forum.

Anyway, Fluffy, i think you could cash a and if see J or T from pd u can play on the defense me and Ben suggested, if not you can always give a free shot at fooling declarer by shifting.

#11 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-September-19, 15:50

View PostMrAce, on 2011-September-19, 14:30, said:

Anyway, Fluffy, i think you could cash a and if see J or T from pd u can play on the defense me and Ben suggested, if not you can always give a free shot at fooling declarer by shifting.

FYP
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#12 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-September-20, 01:31

If you cash A, that makes it completely safe for declarer to cover the second spade.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-September-20, 02:57

View Postgnasher, on 2011-September-20, 01:31, said:

If you cash A, that makes it completely safe for declarer to cover the second spade.

There is no reason for him not to cover in any case.

And it is never safe to cover if the A is offside since i did not overcall 1 and would not kill my entry even if i didnt overcall a hand that should. And pd did not lead . Not covering is worse though, he will be literally going down while he is cold, just like the way he did.

And are we supposed to give up on a legit defense in case declarer is beginner ? As i said, if we choose deception over a legit defense, deception needs to have reasonable success rate, i just dont think it is in this case. But i would be wrong vs this declarer obviously.

#14 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2011-September-20, 14:21

but bear in mind that the legit defence you are looking for is not legit in theory either, declarer is marked with 3235 on the bidding unless he bid wrongly. Also cashing A gives up on the only lay out where ducking K works (Ax and A on north)

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-September-20, 22:21

View PostFluffy, on 2011-September-20, 14:21, said:

but bear in mind that the legit defence you are looking for is not legit in theory either, declarer is marked with 3235 on the bidding unless he bid wrongly. Also cashing A gives up on the only lay out where ducking K works (Ax and A on north)

Its hell of a normal bid with 4234 to me. Steve Weinstein wrote about this i guess in bridge winners or an interview why he thinks bidding 1NT is better with those hands. But you were the one at the table, if they say he can not have 4 then yes we can probably take this option out.

EDIT: And u are wrong about ducking works when N having Ax and A situation, He covers 2nd . Covering first can be an option only if he has KTx(x) and believes that South played unprotected Q or from AQxx since he will probably play T on 2nd round if south plays low.

I actually can not construct hands for NS that ducking twice works, that makes sense with the bidding and the lead.

If South has
-Stiff Q, doesnt matter as long as he doesnt cover first spade, and N wld have AJxxxx spade either wld overcall or lead.
-QJ tide, doesnt make sense N wld lead spade
-QJx he is dead anyway (unless he has T)
-QJxx dead
-QJxxx covers 2nd spade
etc

and by not covering 2nd spade he loses to all combinations when south has spade Ace.

I am telling you, as long as u do not cash your spade Ace, this guy decided and was going to go down regardless of what u played imo. :P I mean Andy explained this guy had KQ vs JTxxx suit which gives u 4 tricks most of the time and u have to play this suit even if finesse works and 3-3, still took the finesse...go figure what he was thinking, if any.

#16 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-21, 05:55

From where I am sitting it seems like the bidding would be normal on a 4-3-3-3 shape aswell. Lots of people open their worse minor when planning to bid a 1NT to inhibit the lead. Secondly, you didnt make any comment on their opening style, and in my style it would be completely normal to bit this way with a 4-2-4-3 shape. I believe that short club gives the defence lots more problems than better minor when you play in 3N. Exactly like here.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#17 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-September-23, 10:40

View Postphil_20686, on 2011-September-21, 05:55, said:

From where I am sitting it seems like the bidding would be normal on a 4-3-3-3 shape aswell. Lots of people open their worse minor when planning to bid a 1NT to inhibit the lead.

Luckily, as this is the A/E forum, the opps would have alerted us if this was their style...
(-: Zel :-)

#18 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-September-23, 10:47

Nice play Fluffy.

IMO weak players rarely cover the spade, they have never seen anyone do this with the ace of spades. We can go over all the reasons declarer should cover the spade, but as far as I know fluffy beat the hand and no one else did so he wins the game swing on a nothing board this time.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users