Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

UI used or not? (Netherlands)

#1 User is offline   arvie 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-March-09, 06:10

Teams, district competition (no screens), NS competent players (but nothing special) in an established partnership. EW a little weaker.

3C alerted and explained as inv+ with diamonds (Rubensohl).

Start heart, result 3NT C.

Other facts:
  • Agreement is Rubensohl (on the convention card). Pair is known to me and I am not aware of any other mix up in this situation.
  • South: I bid 3NT because I didn't want to tell east which major to start.
  • East: Because I have the A it is not necessary to start with a spade.

How whould you rule? There is no MI but used South UI and is there a reason to adjust?

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-March-09, 06:23

Why has North signed off in 3?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2011-March-09, 06:29

I assume that 3 (Lebensohl) for South was natural and forcing.
Why did North not bid more than 3 with a maximum with support?

The reasons for bidding 3NT are a bit feable, if he was going to punt 3NT he could do so a round earlier.

I think 3NT is suggested over stopper showing/asking bids because if you haven't got a spade stopper then North will try and play in diamonds not clubs. Bidding 3NT means you will play in a normal contract - even if it is off the spade suit.

I think one of 3 (showing) or 3 (asking) is a logical alternative, having started with 3. So I adjust to an auction spiraling out of control when there is no spade stop and NS contest which minor to play in.
5DX-2 (N)
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#4 User is offline   arvie 

• PipPip

Posted 2011-March-09, 06:41

View PostVampyr, on 2011-March-09, 06:23, said:

Why has North signed off in 3?

Without stoppers in both majors North felt that 3 was high enough against only an invitational hand. (And maybe he suspected something?)

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-March-09, 07:02

View Postarvie, on 2011-March-09, 06:41, said:

Without stoppers in both majors North felt that 3 was high enough against only an invitational hand. (And maybe he suspected something?)

On the other hand, South's diamonds are nowhere near solid, so he must have some cards somewhere.

I like Robin's ideas, but NS may have no agreements over 3 (natural and forcing) 3 (?). In fact, they certainly don't, since they don't even play this auction this way. So it must be somehow ascetained what they do in analogous situations.

It may end up that the sad truth is that South has no LAs to 3NT.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   arvie 

• PipPip

Posted 2011-March-09, 07:11

View PostVampyr, on 2011-March-09, 07:02, said:

I like Robin's ideas, but NS may have no agreements over 3 (natural and forcing) 3 (?). In fact, they certainly don't, since they don't even play this auction this way. So it must be somehow ascetained what they do in analogous situations.

South took it as a positive bid with something (values) in diamonds. Like they do in analogous situations (e.g. inverted minor).

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-March-09, 08:35

View Postarvie, on 2011-March-09, 07:11, said:

South took it as a positive bid with something (values) in diamonds. Like they do in analogous situations (e.g. inverted minor).

Yes; I meant after that. If the partnership will continue to bid suits in which they have values, then 3 is certainly a logical alternative to 3NT.

#8 User is offline   arvie 

• PipPip

Posted 2011-March-09, 08:57

View Postarvie, on 2011-March-09, 07:11, said:

View PostVampyr, on 2011-March-09, 08:35, said:

Yes; I meant after that. If the partnership will continue to bid suits in which they have values, then 3 is certainly a logical alternative to 3NT.

I thought so. Just to be sure I did a little poll (the match was played on a club evening). After this start 6 out of 7 players would bid 3, following with 4 after partners 3 (looking for a half stopper). After that it seems not illogical to end in 5/5X-2. (Some of the polled players mentioned that they would bid directly 3NT instead of first bidding clubs.)

So I adjusted accordingly. But south was not too happy with that and found that he had still the right to 'gamble' 3NT. Although in the end he didn't appeal the decision.

So I am just curious if I missed something.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-March-09, 16:09

View Postarvie, on 2011-March-09, 08:57, said:

So I adjusted accordingly. But south was not too happy with that and found that he had still the right to 'gamble' 3NT. Although in the end he didn't appeal the decision.

When you're in receipt of UI, it's frequently the case that you lose the right to gamble like that. Probably the only exception is if the UI suggests that the gamble is NOT likely to pay off.

#10 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-09, 17:47

View PostRMB1, on 2011-March-09, 06:29, said:

I assume that 3 (Lebensohl) for South was natural and forcing.
Why did North not bid more than 3 with a maximum with support?

The reasons for bidding 3NT are a bit feable, if he was going to punt 3NT he could do so a round earlier.

I think 3NT is suggested over stopper showing/asking bids because if you haven't got a spade stopper then North will try and play in diamonds not clubs. Bidding 3NT means you will play in a normal contract - even if it is off the spade suit.

I think one of 3 (showing) or 3 (asking) is a logical alternative, having started with 3. So I adjust to an auction spiraling out of control when there is no spade stop and NS contest which minor to play in.
5DX-2 (N)

Yes, I think we can allow N/S to get out at the five-level. 3H is a game try in diamonds, from North's point of view. As South his believed to have only invitational values, North will just accept, and when he bids 5D, South will know what has happened, as the weak no-trumper going beyond 5C will be enough of a shock. East seems to have an obvious double - he will surely work out what has happened. So 5X - 2 seems fine.

And I nearly missed that we must give some percentage of -3 for the fine defence of A for attitude, spade to West, diamond, diamond, and cash the spade. This looks relatively easy to find, so let us go for 75% of -800 and 25% of -500.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#11 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-March-10, 03:09

View Postlamford, on 2011-March-09, 17:47, said:

Yes, I think we can allow N/S to get out at the five-level. 3H is a game try in diamonds, from North's point of view. As South his believed to have only invitational values, North will just accept, and when he bids 5D, South will know what has happened, as the weak no-trumper going beyond 5C will be enough of a shock. East seems to have an obvious double - he will surely work out what has happened. So 5X - 2 seems fine.

Why is South believed to have only invitational values? In fact, why do you believe that 3 isn't game-forcing?

It would be nice to be able to bid sensibly with x AKx AQxxxx Qxx.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#12 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-10, 03:27

If I were playing leb, over partner's 3 I'd bid 3nt. I've never played stopper sequences over natural and forcing responses, I'd take 3 as natural fishing for a fit or nt contract, and thus I'd bid 3nt with confidence. A 3 call for me would be showing a second suit looking for 4 games.

#13 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-10, 05:24

View Postgnasher, on 2011-March-10, 03:09, said:

Why is South believed to have only invitational values? In fact, why do you believe that 3 isn't game-forcing?

It would be nice to be able to bid sensibly with x AKx AQxxxx Qxx.

Yes, you are right, 3 would be game-forcing, and North might well bid 4 over it, although he has already decided his hand is minimum over diamonds, so he might not. South might pass this or he might raise to 5 - after all AK in both minors is game, and partner has nothing in spades it would seem. East will double 5 (but not 4) no doubt, and it seems that we have to consider a few weighted scores. Perhaps:
37.5% of 5D*-3
12.5% of 5D*-2
25% of 4C-1
25% of 5C*-2
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#14 User is offline   arvie 

• PipPip

Posted 2011-March-11, 04:03

View Postlamford, on 2011-March-10, 05:24, said:

Yes, you are right, 3 would be game-forcing, and North might well bid 4 over it, although he has already decided his hand is minimum over diamonds, so he might not. South might pass this or he might raise to 5 - after all AK in both minors is game, and partner has nothing in spades it would seem. East will double 5 (but not 4) no doubt, and it seems that we have to consider a few weighted scores. Perhaps:
37.5% of 5D*-3
12.5% of 5D*-2
25% of 4C-1
25% of 5C*-2

Interesting point. But I think that we must include the chance that North would bid 3, looking for a half stopper. Hoping for 2/3 + 5 + 0/1 + 1 making 3NT.

#15 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-11, 04:22

When playing minor suit transfers, many play a new suit as shortness so with a 6322 one can only punt 3NT, or transfer followed by 3NT which somehow gives opener the choice between 5/6m and 3NT although he may face difficulty making the decision without knowing which suits responder stop.

It is vaguely possible that this sequence is similar so that responder can't show a heart stopper. Or maybe 3 would show a 4-card suit. Maybe more likely, NS just don't have a defense against Landy so S chose to avoid a 3M bid that could be misunderstood.

But if showing the heart stopper was systematically possible, then it is certainly an LA, and not showing the stopper is clearly suggested by the UI.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#16 User is offline   arvie 

• PipPip

Posted 2011-March-11, 04:46

View Posthelene_t, on 2011-March-11, 04:22, said:

When playing minor suit transfers, many play a new suit as shortness so with a 6322 one can only punt 3NT, or transfer followed by 3NT which somehow gives opener the choice between 5/6m and 3NT although he may face difficulty making the decision without knowing which suits responder stop.

It is vaguely possible that this sequence is similar so that responder can't show a heart stopper. Or maybe 3 would show a 4-card suit. Maybe more likely, NS just don't have a defense against Landy so S chose to avoid a 3M bid that could be misunderstood.

But if showing the heart stopper was systematically possible, then it is certainly an LA, and not showing the stopper is clearly suggested by the UI.

I asked at the table why South did not bid 3 and he confirmed that it was a possibility within their system (playing stoppers). He bid 3NT because he didn't want to tell East which major to start. He had no (clear) explanation why he didn't gamble 3NT one round earlier.

Based on this information and the fact that an overwhelming majority would bid 3 gave me enough evidence to adjust to 5X-2. A little lazy. As demonstrated by Lamford and others a weighted score was more appropriate.

NS are a long standing partnership and certainly dealt earlier with Landy (and other interferences over 1NT).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users