Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

team withdraws

#1 User is offline   Tomi2 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-February-17, 05:24

can one of the experts around give me a link to the rule that says what one should do, when a team does not play all matches?
in a round robin competition a weaker team will not play our match today and we get 18 awarded. but we have an average of 20+ and will miss at least 2 VP this way, our rivals won 25 and 21 against them

thx

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2011-February-17, 05:59

View PostTomi2, on 2011-February-17, 05:24, said:

can one of the experts around give me a link to the rule that says what one should do, when a team does not play all matches?
in a round robin competition a weaker team will not play our match today and we get 18 awarded. but we have an average of 20+ and will miss at least 2 VP this way, our rivals won 25 and 21 against them

I am afraid there is no general answer. Each competition will have its own regulations.

Often the regulation is of the form: for the innocent team, the greatest of AVE+ in VPs (e.g. 18-12 on 25VP scale, 12 on 20VP scale) OR the team's average in other matches OR the converse of the other team's average in other matches.

The default English regulation is EBU White Book section 145.2.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2011-February-17, 07:44

While we cannot guarantee to give you an answer, it would help if you stated which country you are playing in.

In general we do ask all people when posting a first post in a thread to state their country, or 'Online'. Some replies depend on the jurisdiction.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#4 User is offline   Tomi2 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-17, 10:22

it an online event, so hoped there would be some WBF rule we can refer to

we are part of an groupd with 10 teams playing, 2 qualify for KO, 3rd also qualifies for an elite group next season.
Our opps from today played only 4 matches till now and lost high against our "rivals" (Port Royal and Zagreb) (they scored 21 and 25). Our own average is also >20, so getting 18 vs a team that scored <9 average and even less against our "rivals".
The organizers who run this league assigned us 18-0 automaticly for this, and now we try to work on a fairer solution because now in our opinion they have somewhere between 3 and 7 VP advantage

here is the situation after 6 rounds
Group D VP
Munich 124
Port Royal 124
Zagreb 121
Riga 108
Puszczykowo 106
Paris 85
Haskovo 65
Kolkata 52
Ankara 3 35
Barcelona 25

#5 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-17, 11:06

It is always more difficult with online games. I should quote them what th English White book says - as cited by Robin Barker - and tell that that is considered fair. But there is no overall rule, that, I am afraid is not the way regulations work. The organisers of your tournament should have worked out a fair rule.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-17, 12:13

View PostRMB1, on 2011-February-17, 05:59, said:

The default English regulation is EBU White Book section 145.2.

I don't think that is true. 145.2 applies to "all-play-all" events. The OP's event seems to have more than one 10-team bracket of round-robin play, followed by a K.O. phase. And I think an "event" is defined as the whole thing.

145.3 and 145.4 seem to be the sections which apply, and those sections would not be as favorable to the adversely affected team as the actual ruling was.

Deeming no team to have played the withdrawn team feels right, but doesn't seem legal in EBU under the given circumstances. Am nowhere near an expert on anyone's rules, but those are the words I read in 145.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   Tomi2 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-18, 03:49

ok, all problems solved - their team simply came and played - and we lost, but better losing at the bridge table than not winning because one had no chance to play bridge at all

#8 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-18, 07:46

Despite the actual wording, I have no doubt that it is correct to apply #145.2 to the all-play-all part of an event.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#9 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-18, 08:11

View Postbluejak, on 2011-February-18, 07:46, said:

Despite the actual wording, I have no doubt that it is correct to apply #145.2 to the all-play-all part of an event.

I agree and think that it is even more appropriate in an online event when a team may miss one match but then play subsequent matches in the competition. The only downside is that the official score for the match cannot be assessed until the end of the round-robin phase.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#10 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2011-February-18, 16:59

View Postpaulg, on 2011-February-18, 08:11, said:

I agree and think that it is even more appropriate in an online event when a team may miss one match but then play subsequent matches in the competition. The only downside is that the official score for the match cannot be assessed until the end of the round-robin phase.

The EBL has a similar regulation and it is applied in the teams championships. Frequently one specific team does not play another specific team (arriving late, due to travel difficulties, or the like). The result of this match for the latter team is not known until the end of the competition because it depends on their average in the other matches (or on the former team's average).
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users