BBO Discussion Forums: Bridge Books availability in India - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bridge Books availability in India

#1 User is offline   cardboy70 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-February-12, 00:50

Hi,
I am from Bombay, India - Intermediate player.
Are there any other members here from India?

I am looking for some books on Bridge & I can't seem to find them in any of the bookstores locally.
These are the books I am looking for
- Killing Defense - Hugh Kelsey
- 5 weeks to winning bridge - Alfred Sheinwold
- Bid Better, Play Better - Dorothy Truscott.

I went to Crossroads(a book chain) last week. I asked the attendant if they had any bridge books - he
had no clue what I am talking about. He then went to his computer & proceeded to search for 'Bitch' &
asked me if I wanted the book by Jackie Collins.

Anyway, I haven't been able to locate any of these books.
I checked in online stores, one of them ships from USA - but for new books, the shipping charges are
more than the cost of the books & for second hand books, the cost+shipping is more than the cost of a
new book.

If someone in this forum from Bombay on this forum knows where I can buy these books, do let me know.
If you have a copy & are willing to lend it for a few weeks, I can come and pick it up (if you are
in Bombay) or am prepared to pay shipping charges(from any other part of India).

The only book I have currently is Goren's Complete Bridge (Hardback) purchased from the USA.

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-February-12, 04:29

It seems that there is a company called 20North which arranges receipt of items that are not normally shipped to India.

You might try UK/Europe-based online sellers; the shipping might be cheaper than from the US. Also a bookshop might be able to order the books you want. I think that you will have better luck with a small independent shop than with a chain.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   zasanya 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Chess,Scrabble,Bridge

Posted 2011-February-12, 14:18

Hi Cardboy
I am from Thane .I have the 3 books you mention .I run a bridge library where the membership is free but to ensure i get the book back i charge a deposit of Rs 500 per book.If you are interested email me.
If you want to buy bridge books try Strand Book Stall . If you want to join a regular library which has a large collection of bridge books go to british council library, Nariman Point.Kanga Sports library ,Garware Club House ,Wankhede Stadium used to stock a fair collection of bridge books and used be open to Public .I do not know if it still functions.
Aniruddha
Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.
"Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius".

#4 User is offline   cardboy70 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-February-13, 05:24

View Postzasanya, on 2011-February-12, 14:18, said:

Hi Cardboy
I am from Thane .I have the 3 books you mention .I run a bridge library where the membership is free but to ensure i get the book back i charge a deposit of Rs 500 per book.If you are interested email me.
If you want to buy bridge books try Strand Book Stall . If you want to join a regular library which has a large collection of bridge books go to british council library, Nariman Point.Kanga Sports library ,Garware Club House ,Wankhede Stadium used to stock a fair collection of bridge books and used be open to Public .I do not know if it still functions.

Thank you for your reply. I have contacted you by email.

In the meantime, I have managed to get the Hugh Kelsey book in an online book store & have ordered it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users