• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-February-05, 03:03

Based on this thread
http://www.bridgebas...-still-penalty/

Most posters, including me, voted that

(1H) x (P) 1NT
(2H) x

is still for takeout. This got me thinking:

What would you play a 3H bid as rather than the second double? If you play the second x as takeout, doesn't the 3H bid become redundant?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#2 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-February-05, 05:04

Some reference:
Robson - Segal recommend penalty double in similar sequence (which, they say, could be called "defensive double"):

1 dbl pass 1
2 dbl

(giving examle hand: J84 K7 AK84 AQ96

Doubler of course doesn't have stack but has maximum and would like to rebid 1NT if opener passed.
They argue that in this sequence the t/o dbl is no longer needed.
I agree with their views on this one.

They don't mention our sequence (with 1NT instead of 1) but I would guess the same principle applies.

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-06, 07:06

I am reasonably confident that the majority of posters described the second double as something akin to value-showing rather than simply a second take-out. Presumably 3H here would be a hand unsuitable for a penalty pass from partner, perhaps something like 4=0=(4-5) unless your style of first round overcalls would allow doubler to also hold a 2-suiter here.
(-: Zel :-)

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-06, 07:19

I can envisage hands that are strong enough for a second take-out double but which are not strong enough to force as high as 3H+ opposite a potential bust. So I would still play the second double as re-takeout. If that makes a 3H cue a redundant bid then it is a price that I would be prepared to pay. Not sure that it does, though. There may be some hands, very rare I agree, that were initially worth a strong(+) jump overcall but which not playing SJO (or two strong for a NF SJO) might be worth this treatment.

I seem to be giving up on a hand that is NT-type but too strong for a 1N overcall. I can live with that.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users