• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-January-19, 04:25

View PostOleBerg, on 2011-January-19, 02:09, said:

If you play multi, consider this treatment:

2 - 4

4 = Please transfer to your suit.....

View PostFree, on 2011-January-19, 04:01, said:

Also play 2-4 as "bid your suit". This way you can let opener declare as well, in case you don't have anything to rightside.

Yes i played both of them, however they create problems if 2 opener has strong hand types. I just hate it when 2 opener tells me he has a strong 2NT opener at 4 level. Setting the trump (if there is any trump of course) and then asking the keycards and all is being problem. Back then, we just simply took out all the strong hand types from multi in order to let it function more effective with weak 2 hands.

The more meanings u put in multi, the less effective it becomes, for example Inquiry said they have 9,5 tricks minor hands in it, or canbe something else for other people...This prevents responder to take proper action or preempt just incase pd may have some sort of fancy hand.

Also multi with a lot of hand types in it, is EXTREMELY vulnerable against competition.

I watch everyday fresh multi fans and obviously they love to alert all these hand types that they may hold, thinking this will scare/confuse opponents, however often it is themselves who ends up confused and screwed up badly when someone overcalls a minor. It is like watching kids playing with ammo :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#22 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-19, 07:34

There seem to be 2 main methods for high level responses to a multi, and which is best might depend on which hands you put into it or just come down to personal taste. The first is as described here, 2D - 4C = bid 1 below your suit and 2D - 4D = bid your suit. The second method is to use 2D - 3NT = bid your suit, thus freeing up 4C and 4D to show extra length in the corresponding major (2D - 4C = 5+ hearts, 2D - 4D = 5+ spades). This has the advantage of sometimes allowing Opener to compete to the 5 level at the cost of forcing Opener to be declarer. It also makes life easier for Opener if they hold a strong variety. I am with MrAce in far preferring the weak-only multi but this is often not permitted by local regulations.
(-: Zel :-)

#23 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-19, 09:37

EW are obviously beginners, so they are free from blame.

South was trying to be smart (and indeed, doubling 3C seems like a good idea). But 3H, and mostly the pass of 3HX were both foolish and stubborn. EW have denied holding as many as 8 spades (so partner has at least 4), and partner has not bid while south invited him to if he had hearts. Then it gets even worse, the opponents double you for penalties, does south really think that they are in a 10-card fit?

South smells like the kind of player who passes 3HX knowing quite sure that it is wrong, only because he thinks that afterwards he can berate partner for passing his pass/correct call. Wrongly.

I think that the 2D opening was bad, but I don't blame north for passing 3H. If north was a strong player playing with a weak south, he could have guessed what was going on and corrected to 3S.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#24 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-19, 14:24

South must have a long heart suit and no interest in North's suit. Otherwise he would have bid 3 or maybe 3 at his first turn. So even if North's failure to bid over 2NT doesn't show spades, 3 can't be p/c.

10% blame to north for agreeing to play a convention his partner doesn't understand, the rest of the blame to south.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users